The Paranoia of driving an MG EV

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have only driven my MG ZS EV for 2 weeks but have been avidly looking at these threads and YouTube videos for nearly 2 years. The driving has been fantastic, very easy to get used to this one peddle driving and rock solid road handling, as well as enjoying the rapid accelleration on a few occasions.

However, this morning when I clambered into my pre-heated monster and turned on I got a constant warning beeping. I thought oh no all those horror stories of things going wrong with EVs had struck me. I minutely examined all HUDs. Went through the Head Unit menus turning off and on variorus options, turning the car off and on again several times. But each time BEEP, BEEP, pause BEEP, BEEP, greeted me.

Too frustrated to try any more I parked the car and slunk back home to write a stinking thread to critisize the bad manufacturing, or poor quality control of these EVs.

As I sat down to my computer to start writing I noticed I had left my micro-SD card reader plugged in. On checking I saw that an SD card was still in it from my VIOFO A119 V3 camera. It then struck me that all my rants in the car had not identified that the BEEP BEEP sound was coming from the carcam and not the car as it was trying to tell me it couldn't record as the SD card was missing.

Needless to say I will now relax my paranoia, and trust my car a bit more, while questioning both my hearing and stupidity.

I have only driven my MG ZS EV for 2 weeks but have been avidly looking at these threads and YouTube videos for nearly 2 years. The driving has been fantastic, very easy to get used to this one peddle driving and rock solid road handling, as well as enjoying the rapid accelleration on a few occasions.

However, this morning when I clambered into my pre-heated monster and turned on I got a constant warning beeping. I thought oh no all those horror stories of things going wrong with EVs had struck me. I minutely examined all HUDs. Went through the Head Unit menus turning off and on variorus options, turning the car off and on again several times. But each time BEEP, BEEP, pause BEEP, BEEP, greeted me.

Too frustrated to try any more I parked the car and slunk back home to write a stinking thread to critisize the bad manufacturing, or poor quality control of these EVs.

As I sat down to my computer to start writing I noticed I had left my micro-SD card reader plugged in. On checking I saw that an SD card was still in it from my VIOFO A119 V3 camera. It then struck me that all my rants in the car had not identified that the BEEP BEEP sound was coming from the carcam and not the car as it was trying to tell me it couldn't record as the SD card was missing.

Needless to say I will now relax my paranoia, and trust my car a bit more, while questioning both my hearing and stupidity.
They do take a little while to get used too. I am on my third EV and I have to say that the ZS is so good, perfect for me. Other than a replacement window seal it has been brilliant

Even though I have only done about 270 miles I'm very impressed with the car. OK I know it will take a few more miles to know all the user settings to make it truly mine.

The lane keep assist is actually quite good although I have set the sensitivity to low. From the comments in the forum it appears to be a bit more aggressive in the MG4. I drive mostly in Normal mode with regen level 3. I found the ECO mode affected the incar environment too much in the cold weather but the other day the SUN was so warm that I tried it on a shorter trip with no issues. although it drove like an old POLO.

Most of these settings are down to individual taste, or economy, but I get about 3.8kw/hrs at the moment which I hope will improve as we move to warmer weather. My grandchildren have named the car 'Enterprise' knowing that I'm a Star Trek fan. They love that I can tell the car to open the roof blind just by speaking and I have even set the intro speech to say 'Engage' when I turn on the car.

Little things please so much.............🖖

Even though I have only done about 270 miles I'm very impressed with the car. OK I know it will take a few more miles to know all the user settings to make it truly mine.

The lane keep assist is actually quite good although I have set the sensitivity to low. From the comments in the forum it appears to be a bit more aggressive in the MG4. I drive mostly in Normal mode with regen level 3. I found the ECO mode affected the incar environment too much in the cold weather but the other day the SUN was so warm that I tried it on a shorter trip with no issues. although it drove like an old POLO.

Most of these settings are down to individual taste, or economy, but I get about 3.8kw/hrs at the moment which I hope will improve as we move to warmer weather. My grandchildren have named the car 'Enterprise' knowing that I'm a Star Trek fan. They love that I can tell the car to open the roof blind just by speaking and I have even set the intro speech to say 'Engage' when I turn on the car.

Little things please so much.............🖖
It is a great asset that you are not afraid to question things, be flexible and continue to learn. Enjoy your car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom