Thoughts after a couple of weeks (spoiler: she's a keeper)

ARandomUsername

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I picked my ex-demo S(tandard)R(ange) exclusive in piccadilly blue a couple of weeks ago.

I've mainly been charging at a local rapid after work, sitting in the car with the heater on.

I'm in the extreme north of Scotland - Shetland to be exact and temps this last while have been -1 to 3 °c or thereabouts so pretty cold but I must say the range has been great.

I've been thinking of the car as a '200 mile car' so aiming for 2 miles to every % as a ball park figure and I seem to be achieving it.

After a charge, sitting there with all the heaters going but not moving for an hour, the car gives me quite a pessimistic GOM at 100% but as I deplete the battery down to about 70% and placate the system with my sensible driving, the GOM pretty much gives me my golden % x2, sometimes a bit more if I flick over to ECO to check out that figure.

While I do drive quite sensibly, it's all A / B roads up here with a few nice big hills, I do also like comfort and odd squirt of electrons. I drive in Normal mode with the AC set to auto / 23°c and usually by the time I'm at 50% SoC the GOM is reading 100 to 104 miles which as I say in these cold temps I'm very happy with.

There are a few MG evs in shetland, the geography is ideal for evs up here.

I'm guessing there'll be a lot more when the next batch of cars makes its way to us. If there are any Shetlanders reading this, say hello and maybe we can blag our own sub forum 😃

You drive your MG5 exactly as I do and with the same range expectations. I too use the 2 miles to every % yardstick and it hasn't failed me yet. I always use Eco mode with the Kerrs set on 3 and regardless of any displayed range after charging, after a short amount of driving the range display gradually returns to showing around 203 miles. I don't usually allow the GOM to drop below 20% but I recently carried out an experiment allowing the range to drop to 3% when the car power was actually reduced and I was on about 193 miles after a pretty event filled journey home (floods and road blockages) so pretty impressed with the car. Just need someone to create an OBD2 solution so I can integrate the battery data with ABRP, and I'll be a happy bunny!

I hope you find some local MG users, I'm too far away in sunny Cambridge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom