To those of you having a test drive of the MG 5

Firstly I apologies as I never took a photo of the car but it was the Exclusive model and had the red tri-coat paint.

Before I go through my thoughts on the car you need to know a few things.

1. I have never driven an EV before.
2. I have never drive an MG before
3. I currently drive a Mazda CX5

I have had my CX5 Sports Nav for about 2 years and the previous cars have been a Ford Focus and a Jag XF so that will give you some ideas as to where I am coming from.

I have over the last year decided I really wanted to change to an EV and as I love my Mazda my first thought was to go for the upcoming MX30 from them. However the small range, cost and the very strange decisions they have made about the EV lead me to look at the Peugeot 2008 EV, MG ZS EV and the MG 5EV. So on Monday in an effort to get a feel for them all I took all 3 out on a test drive.

I wont go through my thoughts on the Peugeot (its not the forum) but with regards to the other two.

MG ZS

It was a decent car and came close with regards to the size of my existing Mazda - The model I drove was an Excite and it was fairly impressive. Performance was decent but I felt it was quite noisy when driving with a fair amount of road noise. Excelleration was good and the use of the full Regen was easy enough to adapt to. The range of the car would have been very close to my minimum because I don't have the ability to charge at home.

MG 5

I then took out the MG5 and to be honest didn't think this would be the car and that I would probably go for the ZS. When i got in however I was more than pleasantly surprised by the driving position and it didn't feel much lower than my current Mazda. Perfromance was again very good and the 0-60 claimed was about right. Road noise this time was much less than in the ZS although it is still a little noticeable. It was slightly more sprightly when in sports mode but when using full Regen it didnt feel quite as harse as on the ZS. Driving comfort was also better and I could certainly see myself being much more comfortable int he 5 over longer journeys. My test drive was probably only around 10 miles but base on that short distance and the road conditions I was driving in I could easily see the car making or exceeding the distance per charge claimed.

I was so impressed that I placed an order for the 5 after the test drive, the only issue is the fact that it is a March/April wait to get the Silver. I was offered Red or Black in Dec/Feb in that order but my current car is red and black always seems to show marks/scratches.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom