Tow Bar on MG 5 EV

annette

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Asked at another forum and was told a tow bar is not a possibility, have since read somewhere that you can have a tow bar max weight 500kg, anyone had one fitted?
it would carry 2 bikes and bike carrier.

Hi Annette little confused here, under your name in your profile it say driving MG ZS Ev but the tittle in this thread is Tow Bar on MG5
So if it is the MG5 you are asking about as far as I know there is No towbar available to fit the MG5, and also the car is not rated for it so you could have an insurance issue if you was to fit one if you could find one that would fit

If your asking about the ZS there is a tow-bar available for the petrol car don’t know about the EV might fit but again you would have to check if the EV is rated for one or not I don’t know maybe your dealer might help you but if it’s not rated then again insurance could be problematic sorry can’t be more Precise.

I think who ever said you could may be quoting the details of the new MG5 which is rumoured to be coming to the UK later this or early next year and is quoted as being able to be fitted with a towing equipment
Les

sorry about the confusion, new to this, I may have read about the new model coming in? there is a lot to cover when considering a new car, may have to wait until new model arrives?
Thank you for making me aware of this.
Annette

If you wait for the new model be prepared for a jump in price. May still be one of the cheaper EV's with towing capabilities.

If it helps, I spoke with a dealer when purchasing my MG5 and he stated you CAN add a tow bar, but not for the purpose of towing (stay with me on this!). I enquired regarding carrying bikes, and this was proposed (I'm already using the roof for a light roof box).

Should be noted though that its a grey area for insurance claims, should anything happen.

If it helps, I spoke with a dealer when purchasing my MG5 and he stated you CAN add a tow bar, but not for the purpose of towing (stay with me on this!). I enquired regarding carrying bikes, and this was proposed (I'm already using the roof for a light roof box).

Should be noted though that its a grey area for insurance claims, should anything happen.
oooh that IS interesting. Can I ask which dealer and whether he gave any indication who would supply or fit a tow bar.

I may be buying an MG 5 and will need to fit a Towbar just for carrying bikes. I presently have a Toyota Auris Hybrid on which I would like to fit a Towbar if I keep it. All the Towbar companies don't supply one for the Hybrid so I asked Toyota and they supply one just for carrying bikes. Do they have a 'Type Approval Certificate' for this?
I read the MG ZS EV discussion about towbars. It seems the MG has a Towbar as an accessary just for carrying bikes - limit 75kg. Again the question was asked. Do they have a 'Type Approval Certificate' for this? If not then it can affect your insurance.
Toyota supply a Towbar for bikes that is different to a standard Towbar. Is the MG 5 one different to a standard Towbar?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom