type 2 cable confusion

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Sorry for newbie questions..... havent actually got my EV just yet but looking into cables for tescos etc ;-)

now i understand i need a type 2 to type 2 cable for the public chargers that arent tethered (non fast chargers) but there seem to be different types of type 2 to type 2 cable
  • single phase (and the various current levels as options up to 32a)
  • three phase (32a)

so my question is, does a three phase cable cover all eventualities, or would a three phase cable not actually work on a single phase charger?

Hi, the three phase lead will have all pins wired up the single phase does not use the two large pins next to each other.
Future proof with 3 phase it may also be a better cable

Hi, the three phase lead will have all pins wired up the single phase does not use the two large pins next to each other.
Future proof with 3 phase it may also be a better cable
thanks, i did think the pinouts must be compatable etc but then had doubts so thanks for confirming!

would a three phase cable not actually work on a single phase charger?
Number of phases is not the main criteria.
Type 2 public charging stations generally supply 3phases 32A, and it is the 32A you should focus on.
A single phase Type 2 cable has 3x6mm² conductors connected to Live, Neutral and Earth respectively.

That is all you need to charge your MG - its on-board charger cannot accept 3phase and can only accept single phase up to 7kW, i.e. 32A.
A 7kW single phase Type 2 cable is therefore 100% fit for purpose.

If you wanted to future proof, (e.g. you've ordered a Cybertruck that will almost certainly have a 22kW on-board charger) then buying a 3phase 22kW cable makes some sense.
It will still work with your MG, as it will only see power coming in from Line1, and ignore L2 and L3 and because it is rated to 32A (6mm² cable) you'll get the full 32A on Line1.

The Type 2 socket standard is no different in form factor between single and 3phase versions, the only difference is whether pins L2 and L3 are connected. Your car will not care if you connect to a 3phase Type2 outlet or a single phase outlet, provided you have a Type2 cable with 6mm² conductors. Note, the 11kW 3phase Type2 cables, (e.g. for Model3) have 2.5mm² conductors and is rated to 11kW.

Only downside - the 22kW cable is a bit heavier and takes a bit more 'oomph' to wind and unwind after use.

Last edited:
That is all you need to charge your MG - its on-board charger cannot accept 3phase and can only accept single phase up to 7kW, i.e. 32A.
A 7kW single phase Type 2 cable is therefore 100% fit for purpose.
The MG5 brochure says :
1629383867978.png

Doesn't that mean it can charge up to 100kW ?

The MG5 brochure says :
View attachment 4480
Doesn't that mean it can charge up to 100kW ?
On public rapid chargers, maybe. But rapid chargers have their own tethered CCS cables, and supply DC direct to the battery. The AC supplied over the type 2 cables equates to around 7kW per phase (up to 22kW on a 3 phase charger), but the onboard AC/DC system can only work with a single phase, unless they update the system on newer vehicles in the future.

A 3 phase cable is great for future proofing, if you plan to keep the cable when you change cars. But there's no real world benefit to us in the here and now.

Yes, 22kW 3 phase cable will cover all bases. Even though ZSEV can only handle 7kW the 22 will future proof if you get another EV with larger capacity AV charging. Keep in mind the 22 is a heavier/ bulkier cable if that is of concern. Enjoy your EV. 👍

I think the future of AC charging will be at the 7kw mark. 7kw is about the most that a normal single phase home can supply and DC is much faster when out and about. 7kw chargers are also much cheaper for manufacturers to install in vehicles.
If you buy a 22kw cable you'll be wearing it out for no purpose during your MG5 ownership with no guarantee you will get a faster charging model later on.

Last edited:
I think the future of AC charging will be at the 7kw mark. 7kw is about the most that a normal single phase home can supply and DC is much faster when out and about. 7kw chargers are also much cheaper for manufacturers to install in vehicles.
If you buy a 22kw cable you'll be wearing it out for no purpose during your MG5 ownership with no guarantee you will get a faster charging model later on.
Hi Steep, you could be right. I bought the 22kW as it was only $5 AUD more than the 7 so thought why not :)

For your current use 32A single phase is fine, unless you have 3 phase at home then that is all you can supply, future euro spec cars are coming with 11kW - 22kW capability.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom