Unexpected meetup of EVs in Somerset this afternoon

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just arrived for a Costa and 2 other EVs drove up.
Somerset-EV-hangouts-July-2023.jpg

I thought to myself 'time to do the math' as the Americans say :-

• MG ZS EV Trophy Connect Range 273 mls (439km) £33,995
  • Porche Tycan Range 255 mls (410km) £152,003
  • BMW i8 Range 23 mls (37km) £116,305

The Coffee was excellent by the way.

Not only that, but an MG4 XPower (£36k) is faster accelerating than either of the german cars.
Why is everyone over praising the XPower for its acceleration? (One trick pony). Both the German cars offer a better around package but at a price!

Why is everyone over praising the XPower for its acceleration? (One trick pony). Both the German cars offer a better around package but at a price!
Praising as you say for the acceleration, it's a 'hot hatch' in the same way that 'hot hatches' have been praised in the past. Nobody really compared a Golf GTi to a Aston Martin Vantage.
It would be unreasonable to expect the MG4 X Power to be a better all round package at 30% of the price. :)

I'm baffled by the range you quote for that BMW. Is this some subtle joke I'm not getting?
The BMW is a hybrid and the electric motor helps towards the efficiency of the ICE component. However, the battery was about 7kw but increased to 11.6kw in 2018. Range of the electric part of the car is listed between 23-33 miles.

Are they? I wasn't doing so, just picking up the point that often supercars are justified through their acceleration (rarely their handling as they are too big) and from a value-for-money perspective (which seems to be the Op's point) MG has an option there too.

I agree such comparisons don't make sense, but "all round package" I would take issue with as the practicality, maintenance costs and ride of the german cars does not compare.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom