V2L - we have ignition

kiwi

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Home made V2L cable in time for New Year’s BBQ:

IMG_2005.jpeg

The cable is made out of a Phoenix Contact CCS AC charging cable I scored on a local auction site.

The yellow outdoor weather proof cord socket is from a local hardware.

The cable’s existing 680 ohm ID resistor (sets AC charge rate to 20A) has to be swapped for a 2,000 ohm resistor (sets discharge rate to 2.3 kW max) to suit the MG. Cable works on both my wife’s 2023 ZS EV 51kWh Excite basic trim and my MG4 64kWh Essence (Trophy) visible in the (background.

The resistor goes between PP and PE. I did not loop CP to PP as suggested by others as I wanted to mimic the wiring of the official MG cable.

The supply voltage I measured was 217V. The earth pin is not bonded to the car earth so be careful! Because of this only double insulated appliances only should be used in my view.

Happy new year.

Maybe… the RCD works by detecting the imbalance between the currents in the phase and neutral which is caused by current from the phase (usually) going via the victim to earth.

Without a proper earthing arrangement I’m not certain how well that will work but I will try it with a portable plug-in RCD and see what happens.

Here’s the V2L cable in action:

IMG_2007.jpeg

A hope for the future. It's chilly (10°C) and wet here.
I have an extension socket with an RCD, two miniature circuit breakers protecting three sockets that I originally bought for camp site hookups. I've used it to power a battery charger and it worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MCB (circuit breakers) are a good idea but I don't envy your weather.

While my V2L lead is basic, the yellow multi box is a rugged 'site safe' type that features a neon illuminated on/off switch and a 10A cut out. The illuminated switch (which I leave on) is a useful reminder that the vehicle inverter is running. NZ plugs are rated for 10A loads.

Originally I was going to terminate the cable directly into the multi box but I couldn't find a suitable gland and the makings for decent cable retention. The single weather proof cord outlet provided both and avoided needing to drill the multi box.

I also have an 16A rated caravan style inlet to the house switchboard for a sub circuit of MCB protected outlets in the kitchen and living areas already set up for a generator as we're in a rural area. The weather proof outlet on the V2L cable allows me to run a dedicated extension cord with the appropriate matching plugs without using having to use the multi box.

I think the single outlet on the V2L cable combined with the dedicated extension cord is a neater solution for that application as power failures and stormy weather seem to go together. When powering the house I won't need to use the multi box out in the rain.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom