V2L with a static caravan

Aquila

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have a static caravan with a max output of 16 amps, the supply lead to the van is via a meter and normal commando type lead is used to supply power to the van, the same lead you would use if powering a touring caravan or camping with a tent.

Is it possible to run the caravan with V2L ? the site is a 70 mile round trip from home and my MG4 has a 50kWh battery so there should be enough to power the van for at least 1 night (normal winter nightly use is 8/10kWh) so can anyone help? is this idea feasible and if so is possible to purchase a commando plug and type 2 plug lead as opposed to a type 2, 3 point plug lead.....Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great idea.

I use my car to charge a 500Ah battery bank overnight (Solar only, off grid) in the winter and that uses 10% of my cars battery.
I would have thought you could be plugged in for quite a while with no problem at all.

I've still got an old 3 pin to 13 amp plug adapter knocking about and that's all you would need (also the adapter for the v2l)
Readily available on eBay at circa £15.

Ah brilliant thank you, I am however concerned about using 3pin to 13amp adapter,( I have one kicking around also) as the connection with the car would not be waterproof, do you think this will work with a direct connection with the van MG Vehicle to Load V2L Discharge Cable they are expensive but the saving made could make it worth my while.... thanks

Ah brilliant thank you, I am however concerned about using 3pin to 13amp adapter,( I have one kicking around also) as the connection with the car would not be waterproof, do you think this will work with a direct connection with the van MG Vehicle to Load V2L Discharge Cable they are expensive but the saving made could make it worth my while.... thanks

I really wouldn't worry about it.

They are designed to get wet.
As long as you don't let it become submerged you will be fine.

And......if you were taken surprise by a biblical downpour, it will just trip out, no harm done.

Ar the end of the day m8, do whatever makes you comfortable, and I still think it's a great idea.

Be really interested to know how long you can stay plugged into your own mobile powerstation.

You won't have anything in the van that exceeds the suggested 2.2kW output from the car so happy days.

There are posts on here suggesting anything upto 6kW can be pulled from the car, but I've never asked for more than 2kW and it's been dandy.👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom