Wait until you find out an electric Astra is going to incur the expensive car supplement for VED adding £300 or more to the VED for years 2 to 6 of ownership (expect to see lots of manufacturer offers in 2025 giving £1,500-ish discounts to cover these costs)

View attachment 26107
Unfortunately it is based on the published list price not the price you pay after any discounts you can negotiate.

Tesla shot themselves in the foot when they increased the base model 3 price to £40,490. This triggered the luxury car tax adding £320 per year to owners for 5 years. tesla make £490, owners pay an additional £1,600. Brilliant marketing by Tesla.

Carry on with your mistaken belief that VED (or RFL as you prefer) has anything to do with road maintenance - it doesn't, it's just another form of general taxation ... and has been since 1937. ;)
Eh :ROFLMAO:

So I pay Car Tax, RFL, VED call it what you will and it all goes into the big pot, does that pot not contribute to road maintenance? Seems to me that is anything,,,
;)

Next you will be telling me the sugar tax (initially promised to be used for nutrition and obesity programmes but now subsumed into the general tax pot) and tobacco tax doesn't feed back into the NHS, shock horror :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fact is IF the taxation received from motor related sources were to be fed solely into the road infrastructure our roads would be billiard table smooth etc. IFS reckon taxes on motoring raise around £40 billion a year for the exchequer (around 5% of government revenue), equivalent to about £750 per adult in the UK.

The motorist has and will continue to be treated as a Cash Cow hence EV's will be required to pay Car Tax (RFL) shortly as the Government can't lose that income.

I've argued for years that the ICE Car Tax should be on the fuel (I appreciate a large part of fuel cost is already tax).
Want to drive a big engined car, pay more tax.
Don't want to service/maintain (tyre pressures for instance), pay more tax.
Want to drive like a spanner, pay more tax.
Drive more miles, pay more tax etc. etc.

So Granny Muff that does 500 miles a year pays little road tax but Johnny McCompany Car doing 30,000 miles a year pays more tax.

Maybe it's just me that smells a rat :rolleyes:

Wait - you genuinely believe that any income from VED is ring-fenced for road maintenance? 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

You mean like the sugar tax, look what happened to that.

You will be telling us next that you can't have a TV unless you have a TV licence ;)

These "you-said-the-wrong-word-gotcha" threads don't help people.

Knowing about changes in price and dates and how to minimise costs is helpful.
Anyone I know refers to it as 'Car Tax', the rest as RFL, literally no one refers to it as VED (thread title aside) in everyday conversation.

In the links I posted even the Government fails to mention it as VED.

Call it what you will the fact is the Motorist is contributing over and above into the taxation pot and the road infrastructure is beyond saving, all that happens is a sticking plaster.

Now the opportunity to reduce your exposure to Car Tax, RFL, VED is disappearing with EV ownership.

I don't follow this forum that much but has anyone mentioned the possible link to the fitting of smart meters and the taxation increase of EV charging yet? I appreciate that it's a bit down the road but look at the state of those.

Call it what you will the fact is the Motorist is contributing over and above into the taxation pot and the road infrastructure is beyond saving, all that happens is a sticking plaster.
Roll on those flying cars or massive quad-copters we all shall be having in 10 years time, Roads, we don't need roads

Roll on those flying cars or massive quad-copters we all shall be having in 10 years time, Roads, we don't need roads
We'll need hard hats and umbrellas if the amount of rubbish thrown out of cars doesn't improve. I don't fancy being bombed by a bottle of lorry driver's Lucozade.

Flying cars? Don't talk to me about flying cars.... I was pulled under doing 260knots in a 250 at 8,000 feet just last week. "Why aren't you out catching the f-lying criminals?" I said - well, maybe I used a different f-word - now I have to do a speed awareness course! 😉

We'll need hard hats and umbrellas if the amount of rubbish thrown out of cars doesn't improve. I don't fancy being bombed by a bottle of lorry driver's Lucozade.
Not to mention syrups (thinking of the forum demographic) and undertrays getting caught in the slipstream and fluttering down :eek:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom