Very interesting reply from my MP reference Rapid Charger fund

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My MP has replied to my enquiry reference the Rapid Charging Fund specifically
As you correctly mention in your email to me, Ministers aim to have six rapid chargepoints at
every motorway service area in England by the end of 2023. To support this goal, I am told
that the Government will invest £950 million in the Rapid Charging Fund which will futureproof
electrical capacity at motorway and major A road service areas, dashing any anxiety
around long journeys and making charging as easy as refuelling a petrol or diesel car.
That is really good news and I'm sure we will all be able collectively cheer on December 31st.

There are also some other things talked about in the letter which I didn't know was still happening. I thought the plug-in car grant had been cancelled in the last budget?

The Government has an important role to play in supporting the transition. That is why the
plug-in car grant, which has so far supported the purchase of nearly half a
million vehicles. Now, ministers are focusing the grant on the cleanest and most
affordable zero emission models, providing grants of up to £1,500 for electric cars priced
under £32,000.

However, really interesting reply and I will of course be keeping a close eye on all of these commitments.

Attachments

• JH Reply 17-06-23.pdf
    110.3 KB · Views: 126
The PICG is no more. Obviously sending you outdated cut and paste unresearched data.

It was mentioned on a fully charged video from the live show that the grant was available for commercial vehicles.

My MP has replied to my enquiry reference the Rapid Charging Fund specifically

That is really good news and I'm sure we will all be able collectively cheer on December 31st.

There are also some other things talked about in the letter which I didn't know was still happening. I thought the plug-in car grant had been cancelled in the last budget?

However, really interesting reply and I will of course be keeping a close eye on all of these commitments.
Which idiot is your MP?

I’m sure 6 chargers at busy service stations will be plenty. After all, petrol stations there only have about 10 pumps, and let’s not worry that a conventional car can ‘recharge’ in about 2 minutes compared to 40 mins.

Great news about the imaginary car grant too.

The writing style of the letter isn't a personalised reply, it reads like a cut and paste job from Government press releases. Put together by an MP whose largest declared donation is from Neil Record, a major supporter of The Global Warming Policy Foundation, which works to undermine the science behind climate change.

We have the best politicians money can buy...

There's no way there'll be at least six rapids at all motorway services by the end of this year. They're miles off target. It was just another empty promise backed by little or no support and left to the private sector to meet. Compare with France, which made the same pledge. It is more than 80% of the way there and expected to hit the target in September.

"To support this goal, I am told that the Government will invest £950 million in the Rapid Charging Fund which will futureproof electrical capacity at motorway and major A road service areas, dashing any anxiety around long journeys and making charging as easy as refuelling a petrol or diesel car".

What sort of cloud cuckoo land is this MP living in?

Queues for Teslas were past 3 hours over Christmas and they have loads of charging points at service stations.

France is way ahead of UK. I live in a village of just over 2000 people. We've have 4 chargers for almost 2 years now. There are over 100 within 30 minutes.
The only reason I won't drive it back yet is I can't guarantee finding a charger.

You probably won't have a problem if you avoid peak holiday periods. The villae where I live is about 1500 people and we have one charger (had it for quite a few years) which is usually free and you hardly ever see anyone waiting.

Hi Guys. I am afraid you need to do a bit more digging. Ofgem gave permission for the DNOs Ito invest in power supplies to most MSAs in August 2021. It is the DNOs that are dragging their heals.

I note that there has been some sort of update which I haven't followed up.

The big mystery is Clackett Lane. Ofgem refused the DNO project? I haven't looked for the details of the application but there is a 33kV 3 phase circuit with a pole on both sides of the motorway adjacent to the Services Building on both sides of the motorway. How hard can it be? Whist the link might be overburdened at times a battery solution would likely fix the issue particularly if the roofs of the building were covered with solar panels?

Hi Guys. I am afraid you need to do a bit more digging. Ofgem gave permission for the DNOs Ito invest in power supplies to most MSAs in August 2021. It is the DNOs that are dragging their heals.

I note that there has been some sort of update which I haven't followed up.

The big mystery is Clackett Lane. Ofgem refused the DNO project? I haven't looked for the details of the application but there is a 33kV 3 phase circuit with a pole on both sides of the motorway adjacent to the Services Building on both sides of the motorway. How hard can it be? Whist the link might be overburdened at times a battery solution would likely fix the issue particularly if the roofs of the building were covered with solar panels?
This was mentioned on one of Bob Llewellyn's podcasts. There are hundreds of projects waiting for authorisation and enabling works.

I think the Tesla supercharger network get around this by using battery backup to draw nominal power from the grid and then provide 250kW from the battery.

France is way ahead of UK. I live in a village of just over 2000 people. We've have 4 chargers for almost 2 years now. There are over 100 within 30 minutes.
The only reason I won't drive it back yet is I can't guarantee finding a charger.
Drive it back where? Whilst the MSA network is severely lacking, there are now plenty of chargers in the UK. I shudder to think what it was like 3 years ago but now the problem is finding them because the signage is not as bold as petrol stations.

"To support this goal, I am told that the Government will invest £950 million in the Rapid Charging Fund which will futureproof electrical capacity at motorway and major A road service areas, dashing any anxiety around long journeys and making charging as easy as refuelling a petrol or diesel car".

What sort of cloud cuckoo land is this MP living in?

Queues for Teslas were past 3 hours over Christmas and they have loads of charging points at service stations.
Good job I don't have a Tesla. :)

"Ministers aim to have "..... going by what we have seen so far.....with their strategic aiming they couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel :)
No they couldn't, but they already tax the purchase of a shovel and the barn door.
That would cover their interests in "helping" the public :ROFLMAO:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom