• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Wait unit sub 20% to charge?

muppet77

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all.

I’ve got an MG ZS EV Long Range Trophy Connect and an Ohme Pro home charger.
I’m wondering what’s the best strategy to recharge?

Should I wait until I’m under 20% each time or would it not hurt to consistently charge up when I’m at 40,50,60 %?

I do about ten miles a day commuting and then 20-30 miles per day at the weekend. The real range is 273 for 100%.

Thank you in advance.

I would keep it between 40% to 80% unless doing long trip then charge to 100% so when it gets down to 40 charge to 80. That's what I am going to do ....if I every get mine.... well must go its back to ship watch 😁😁

I would keep it between 40% to 80% unless doing long trip then charge to 100% so when it gets down to 40 charge to 80. That's what I am going to do ....if I every get mine.... well must go its back to ship watch 😁😁
Thanks. Is there any evidence that charging at <20 is better / indifferent to charging at 40/50?

Good luck with your watch! 👀

I think the advice is don't leave it fully charged or very low for any length of time. I go from about 40-50% to 80% during the week.
I don't like to go too low incase I need to get somewhere at short notice.

Last edited:
Battery does not like sitting at 100% for any great length of time, without been driven, Hence reason for charging to 80% most of the time and charging to 100% when you know you have long drive next day
Thanks. It was specifically the sub 20% - I wondered where this had come from and if there was any evidence.

I don't think running down to 20% or below would cause any harm. Even running down to zero still leaves some charge in battery. But why would you😁

I don't think running down to 20% or below would cause any harm. Even running down to zero still leaves some charge in battery. But why would you😁
Hi. Thanks for replying but that’s not what I’m asking.
My question is about charging when it’s above 20% eg 50%. Does that do any damage if it’s done consistently or do you have to wait until it’s sub 20?
Thanks again!

In terms of charging, this post/thread is interesting:

Something else worth considering when it comes to charging habits, when you are charging from home on a 7kwh wall box, IF you have a limited period of off peak rate.
Our off peak rate is for 5 hours ( 1.00am - 6.00am ) every day of the week at 5p / Kwh.
We have a Trophy LR which for everyday use, I tend to only charge to the 80% mark.
This meets our needs just fine !.
In return, it gives us a predicted range ( trips both reset ) a consistent 211 - 212 miles of range, in the default normal mode and regen level 3.
Our day rate for electric is WAY more expensive so charging outside of the off peak rate is not happening !.
Therefore I have found that if I allow the SOC to get to about 40% and then commence a delayed charge in the small wee hours, I can hit the 80% SOC mark within that magic 5 hour cheaper rate window.
If you drop below this figure or want a FULL 100% charge, you have to carry out two charging sessions over two nights, otherwise you will straying over into that expensive tariff rate, or coming up short on the amount of range you require.
So, charging from a 40% SOC ( ish ) up to the 80% mark fits nice into our 5 hour window, if that makes any sense ???.
I does to me anyway 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Battery does not like sitting at 100% for any great length of time, without been driven, Hence reason for charging to 80% most of the time and charging to 100% when you know you have long drive next day
Is there a way to cap it at 80%?
My MG5 is a works car for me, but I still want to take care of it.
I think I saw something about being able to cap it in the settings, but not figured it out.
TIA.

Is there a way to cap it at 80%?
My MG5 is a works car for me, but I still want to take care of it.
I think I saw something about being able to cap it in the settings, but not figured it out.
TIA.
Not sure on the MG5 sorry, but on the original ZS EV you could NOT schedule a delayed charge or set a upper percentage figure that you wanted the car to charge up to, then stop !.
I have a dumb 7 Kw wall box and wanted to delay charge, to take advantage of our cheaper "Off - Peak" tariff.
It would have been great, if I could set the percentage figure al so, if I wanted to do that.
The fact it had NO delayed charging facility, was the big issue for me !.
The work around, was to install a Wi-Fi relay ( that came with a free App ) that could be installed inside of the wall box.
This gave the ability to set a delayed charge from the App on my phone and worked great.
The way to then charge up to 80% was to use a bit of quick man maths.
Setting the ON and Off times on the App to give you what you wanted as a percentage of SOC when charging was possible to a degree.
It was difficult to get it absolutely bang on, but after a while I could get it within a couple of percent of what I wanted to charge up to.
If you work on theory that for every hour your car is charging from a 7Kw wall box, it is putting in about 25 miles of extra range in to the battery.
Therefore, it fairly easy to work out how many hours the car needs to be on charge, to hit your required percentage figure, of say ............ 80%.
Look at your starting point with regards to range you have left before going on charge.
Then add 25 miles of range for each hour, when you hit the desired range in your head, this is the time scale required to hit that percentage you want ?.
Hope this makes some sense ?.
The new face lift ZS EV does have the the facility to charge to the required percentage selected by the owner, but only if it is the Long Range version.
The SR model will charge straight to 100% every single time, unless the charge is stopped manually by the owner earlier.

Not sure on the MG5 sorry, but on the original ZS EV you could NOT schedule a delayed charge or set a upper percentage figure that you wanted the car to charge up to, then stop !.
I have a dumb 7 Kw wall box and wanted to delay charge, to take advantage of our cheaper "Off - Peak" tariff.
It would have been great, if I could set the percentage figure al so, if I wanted to do that.
The fact it had NO delayed charging facility, was the big issue for me !.
The work around, was to install a Wi-Fi relay ( that came with a free App ) that could be installed inside of the wall box.
This gave the ability to set a delayed charge from the App on my phone and worked great.
The way to then charge up to 80% was to use a bit of quick man maths.
Setting the ON and Off times on the App to give you what you wanted as a percentage of SOC when charging was possible to a degree.
It was difficult to get it absolutely bang on, but after a while I could get it within a couple of percent of what I wanted to charge up to.
If you work on theory that for every hour your car is charging from a 7Kw wall box, it is putting in about 25 miles of extra range in to the battery.
Therefore, it fairly easy to work out how many hours the car needs to be on charge, to hit your required percentage figure, of say ............ 80%.
Look at your starting point with regards to range you have left before going on charge.
Then add 25 miles of range for each hour, when you hit the desired range in your head, this is the time scale required to hit that percentage you want ?.
Hope this makes some sense ?.
The new face lift ZS EV does have the the facility to charge to the required percentage selected by the owner, but only if it is the Long Range version.
The SR model will charge straight to 100% every single time, unless the charge is stopped manually by the owner earlier.
Thanks for the response. 👍

You need to fully charge every now and then to balance the cells so just charge the car when you get an opportunity and don’t overthink or listen to the online nonsense. I’ve had a BMW i3 for 3 years and charge it as often as I can either from solar or free public charging. So far, by accessing the service menu, it has only lost about 0.5% of its efficiency. There is a blog from a US owner who has lost less than 2% over 80,000 miles and he too regularly fully charged the car.

@East Coast Cruiser

You can't 'cap' the MG5 at any particular State of Charge. You might be able to 'cap' your charger.

I can tell my zappi to start charging at 00:30 and charge for 4 hrs (4 x 7.4 = 29.6kWh's) . Which you will find will add about 45%.

Sincerely
Martin

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom