Wallbox home charger

paulpk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just got one fitted is it illuminated 24/7 or does it go off after period of time when not connected to the car ?

Lights are on all the time. Yellow locked, green ready, etc, etc I thought there would be a software update where lights could be turned off but they reckon it is part of brand / looks... nothing in the app to control light feature apart from changing from lock to unlock

Lights are on all the time. Yellow locked, green ready, etc, etc I thought there would be a software update where lights could be turned off but they reckon it is part of brand / looks... nothing in the app to control light feature apart from changing from lock to unlock
Thank you👍

Apparently any EVSE that is powered up has to display a light of some sort to indicate it's live and indicate it's charging state.

The Rolec units have a very small status light on the front panel.
The Zappi only has the eliminated display screen when required I believe
Great if you want it to be discrete, and even better if it is the black version model.
Hypervolt offers total control of the status, from OFF to total disco theme 🤣.
This is also available in a black fronted model, total stealth 🥷 mode !.
Great if it’s screwed to the front of your house and you don’t want it to attract the wrong sort of attention ( if you get my drift ).

My wallbox would light up the street with its row of five LEDs when I first got it. I Put black tape on the inside of the perspex to cover all but one of the lights, now it's a lot more neighbourhood friendly.

My wallbox would light up the street with its row of five LEDs when I first got it. I Put black tape on the inside of the perspex to cover all but one of the lights, now it's a lot more neighbourhood friendly.
Might try that..does front come off easily

EV chargers should be connected to an isolation switch near your meter/consumer unit IIRC. When I had my Zappi II installed by Octopus’ contractor, they upgraded all the internal cable to the fuse box/consumer unit, fitted a mains isolator and a separate RCB/isolation switch between the system and the charge point. Worked first time and was the going price at the time. Expensive, by some peoples rating at £799 but I couldn’t use anything dumb with my Mk 1 ZS EV and I’m very happy with it. It‘s tethered, as I didn’t want to be faffing about with cabling it up when it’s raining etc., and it’s configured to lock the unit with a PIN number. It does show a pink-ish LED if connected but not charging and a bright green one if charging. I have a cover for the whole unit which covers up the LEDS so no one’s the wiser when it’s in operation.

Half the reason for getting the eo mini was the tiny led indicator. Theres no need for a full blown disco out the front of my house or a giant white plastic moulding, I just needed a socket.

I've staring at a bright yellow ring for three months waiting for the delivery of a new MG5 and wondered if it was safe to switch it of, preserving the settings as it was mocking me while I wait for who knows how much longer.

It would ease my mind if you would confirm that settings remain intact.

Just turn it off at the meter box. I do
I've staring at a bright yellow ring for three months waiting for the delivery of a new MG5 and wondered if it was safe to switch it of, preserving the settings as it was mocking me while I wait for who knows how much longer.
It would ease my mind if you would confirm that settings remain intact.

Although not impossible it is unlikely to lose settings as most devices use non volatile or battery backed storage.

It has to survive power cuts which could last for days

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom