Warranty sunroof

AndyKap

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am hoping someone can help with a warranty issue. I bought the MG ZS EV near London new in March 2020 and had no problems with it. It’s always been serviced at the dealer I bought it from. A couple weeks ago I was parked and had the sunroof open. I went to close it and as it tried to close it made a clunk noise and stopped closing. Tried a couple more times to get it closed but it wouldn’t budge. I looked at it closer and realised on the driver side the sunroof was higher than the passenger side, like it had come out of its track. I got out of the car to see if I could push or pull it or to see if it was loose but it was completely jammed and wouldn’t move. As it was the evening I just filled the gaps with plastic bags and duct taped it to stop water getting in. Next morning I called the dealer, they told be to call the AA MG assist who came that morning. They couldn’t get it fixed so told me that it had to go to the dealers garage. Dealer said they had no time to see it but bring it down the following week. I did that last week. I got a call on Friday last week that they can’t fix it and if I want to come and get it or they can keep it to see what they can do. I don’t live near the dealer so told them to keep it there to save me coming and going. But I asked is the mechanical problem of the sunroof covered by the warranty and they said no. I said I was confused as the car has a 7 year warranty and they said it’s not covered and I should check with MG. I looked online and went through the warranty and there is no exclusion for the sunroof which is not an accessory as it comes standard with this model. So I’m not sure what I should do at this stage. Got no car and even if they get it fixed they will try to charge for it. Any advice or has anyone else experienced this? I would have thought checking the sunroof or lubricating the track is part of the service so could this be the dealer not doing things right and not wanting to deal with the problem? Can I take it to a different MG dealer and will they charge? Do I need to get legal advice on this? Just feels all unnecessary - I work for the NHS so a bit time restricted but will do what I need to, so any help is welcomed.

Ask the manager of the dealership to show you where it says in the warranty that the sun roof isn't covered. The warranty is a legal contract between you and MG, and they have an obligation to honour that contract.

If the dealership is still being awkward, there is the ombudsman, and Money Saving Expert, Martin Lewis has a number of letter templates for complaints using legal jargon (I've used a couple myself with good results).

Tell the garage to put the matter to MG if they've not done so already. I've just had an instance (steering wheel) where the dealer gave me entirely wrong advice about the warranty

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom