• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Waylands MG Newbury - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

Thank you for adding Stuart.

I visited Waylands today for test drive. Met with a very pleasant saleslady who gave me quick overview, listened to my side, then let me loose with an MG4 to test drive.

I was impressed, so after a brief round of further discussions, I ordered a 'Trophy' in 'Dynamic Red'.

Part of the sales pitch was to try and sell me various insurances / protection agreements (tyre, alloys, GAP insurance & Gen 3 as I recall). The only one I went for was the Gen 3 paint and interior protection, which at £322 seemed like a deal, knowing that this protection is not for a DIY'er and seems highly beneficial in terms of paint protection. The saleslady also said this would provide a lifetime guarantee !

All in all a seamless and pleasant experience at Waylands. Hope to collect my new 'super shiny' car in June 2023

Okay, so an update on my experience with this dealer.

The layout of the invoice provided to you when you are onsite takes a bit of effort to work out, VAT calculations etc. So when I returned home I ran the numbers and found that they had charged me using the prices for 2023 when they intend to increase them. This obviously differed from the prices listed on the website for 2022.

Once challenged, the dealer corrected the situation and issued a revised invoice which was £1,000 less in total.

A little disappointing but it goes to show, ensure that you double check everything when making such a large purchase, no matter who you are buying from.

Last edited:
Over the past two and a bit months since my order, the dealership has kept me up to date, even if there was no change. Today I received a personal video message about my order which is progressing well.
Have to say I am really pleased with the communication so far.

So, when I ordered the car I clearly stated to the sales person I did not want it until June as that is when my leased car is returned. The sales person stated that would not be a problem and if it did arrive early they would hold onto it.
Today I received an email from the same sales person asking me to pick the car this Thursday at 4pm !
So they likely want it sold before the end of the tax year and are ignoring what I asked for. As the delivery date on the ordered form states 31st May I have gone back to the same sales person and told them no. I'll collect end of May at the latest.

So I finally collected my car from them. In-between the above post and on collection day:

I organised an early return of my lease vehicle and organised a revised collection date for end of April
I could go on for ages, but in summary, the sales person I dealt with lacked customer service ability, this was clearly evident over the numerous communications we had (driven mainly by me) and lack of attention to detail on their behalf.
On the collection day, I felt the basics were covered, arranging drive away insurance, along with showing me each bottle of the Supagard package in the boot of the car.
I had to work out the rest on my own.
Now i'm capable of working things out (I did state this to the sales person in relation to the car infotainment system etc) and driving things forwards, but when I'm the customer making such a large purchase I expect not just a sales person, but good customer relationship management (CRM) so that the experience sits well with me. These posts would then be different.
Unfortunately, I felt my buying experience with this dealer was poor, start to finish.

I goes on. So despite me stating to the sales person several times during ordering, on collection day too.... I wanted the latest firmware, R33, On collection day the sales person ensured me the latest version was installed. Arrive home with the car and find, R30 installed.
So when I challenge the sales person and express my disappointment at now having to bring it back in, they came back with:
"At the time, my techs confirmed they had uploaded the latest software they had access to :) "

Last edited:
I goes on. So despite me stating to the sales person several times during ordering, on collection day too.... I wanted the latest firmware, R33, On collection day the sales person ensured me the latest version was installed. Arrive home with the car and find, R30 installed.
So when I challenge the sales person and express my disappointment at now having to bring it back in, they came back with:
"At the time, my techs confirmed they had uploaded the latest software they had access to :) "

Defies belief a sales person does not know what the latest version of firmware is for a product they are selling, when it became available and if it is installed or not !!!
That's poor, but all too common sadly. Part of the issue was due to restricted availability no dealer staff were driving MG4s themselves so many ignorant about the car (MG UK sales briefings are apparently threadbare or nonexistent). Now a good salesperson would familiarise themselves anyway, but many don't.

Yes, now i'm experiencing after sales service.... emailed the sales person informing of the car being out of date, response stated i'd receive a call. A day later I called myself to have the car updated, no answer on the phone, so left a voice message. Another day later I chatted with online 'Service Desk' staff who said I would get a call back asap. And another day later, i'll make one last phone call !

So, after calling today and getting through, I had someone take my details as the 'Service' team were busy and was told i'd be called back.
Indeed I was called back, but by 'Volvo' next door who said they would not book in unless there is a fault. I emphasised the point and have to say the attitude was not of customer care. In the end I was given a number of a person called 'Jason' to call who is in MG 'next door'.
What kind of operation have I bought into... this is becoming farcical.

On their site it states 'Contact us'.... just one number then for three departments !!!... Not even the right number too !

Sales:01635 922 396
Service:01635 922 396
Parts:01635 922 396

Last edited:
Post sales support is just non-existent at this dealership. I booked in months ago after many attempts over the phone and via email, but was then sent to Volvo next door as they had no staff and I was told they were not busy enough to warrant any staff (despite being an active MG sales site) . Perhaps they should inform potential customers they have no MG service or repairs before they buy!

Tried to book in again recently online, for fixes and was ignored for four days. On the fith day, after leaving reviews online, I get a call from Weylands Volvo asking me about my faults (including the ones I raised online) and they said they are not getting any MG customer requests through hence the no/slow response. I constructively informed the lady post sales care was a shambles from the outset at that dealership and I was confused how she knew to call me if they are not receiving faults through ! To be fair Volvo took my feedback.

How MG hope to sell a 60k? Cyberster with zero customer support and being such a shambles is beyond me! Steer your car clear of this dealership if you are looking for post sale customer care.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom