Welcome to the MG HS Plug-in Hybrid forum - MG HS PHEV Information

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello and welcome to the enthusiast's forum for discussing the MG HS PHEV.
mg-hs-phev.jpg

This forum has been started by an EV owner and advocate in the hope that information, opinions, your experiences, rumours and more will get posted here to inform and entertain folks who want to know more about MG's third car with a plug, the MG HS PHEV.

Official MG resources:
Owners' manual PDF

Thank you Stuart for opening this new forum!
I am afraid I am the one you are referring to and I hope this forum wil be as lively as the others.
In the Netherlands I am owner nr 27 and confusion starts already with the Type name.
Here they sell it as MG EHS but officially my license mentions MG RX6 Plug-in Hybrid.
You call it MG-HS Plug-in Hybrid so that must be the UK type name.
This must be an omen for quite a number of confusing items when getting acquainted with this nice car. I will get to those things separately thanking you once more Stuart!

Last edited:
Thank you Stuart for initiating this forum. I like to join these when I buy a car, to get other owners feed back and tips that I have yet to come across, bought my HS early June '21, three weeks ago, most impressed with the spec, love the smoothness of the ride.

Thanks Stuart, I had mine delivered end of June as replacement for my 18 plate 1.4 TSI DSG Tiguan Allspace company car. I have done 700 miles and very happy so far, a few little quirks to get used to but then so did the Tiguan to be honest!

The fit and finish is just at good as my old Volkswagen and very comfortable. Must admit really noticed the difference the BIK made to my pay packet this month :)

Hi Stuart, thanks for getting this forum set up. I’ve been driving my HS for a week now, and have been fairly thorough with my investigation of settings, modes and set up. That said, this is a car with so much technology ready to go, it would be easy to miss something. I’ve already got a list of queries. I’ve changed to the MG from a diesel Mazda 6 Estate, purely for the BIK reduction, so I’m looking forward to seeing that filter through over the next couple of months. I just need to figure out how to get the company to pay for the electricity when plugging the car in every night!

Im quite enjoying the exclusivity of owning an MG HS Phev so far (there aren’t to many dealers in Northern Ireland as yet), and haven’t seen too many on the road. Hopefully as more make it on to the road, we will get some great feedback here on this group.

A

Hi Stuart, thanks for getting this forum set up. I’ve been driving my HS for a week now, and have been fairly thorough with my investigation of settings, modes and set up. That said, this is a car with so much technology ready to go, it would be easy to miss something. I’ve already got a list of queries. I’ve changed to the MG from a diesel Mazda 6 Estate, purely for the BIK reduction, so I’m looking forward to seeing that filter through over the next couple of months. I just need to figure out how to get the company to pay for the electricity when plugging the car in every night!

Im quite enjoying the exclusivity of owning an MG HS Phev so far (there aren’t to many dealers in Northern Ireland as yet), and haven’t seen too many on the road. Hopefully as more make it on to the road, we will get some great feedback here on this group.

A

Hi Stuart/Forum. This is my first time on the forum. I’ve had my MG HS PHEV for a month now having previously run a Land Rover Freelander 2. On the few days we’ve had of hot sun I found the 95% clear glass to the windows unbearable and have had them tinted to normal European glass level which has made a significant improvement. I’ve also fitted after sale locking wheel nuts, carpet mats and the rubber boot mat. The car looks good and is very comfortable. Its my first experience of driving a hybrid and I’m very pleased with the economy and smoothness particularly when in electric mode. I had recorded 915 miles at 76 mpg and have only used £33.00 of petrol £17 of electricity. Familiarising myself with controls I have somehow zeroed my cumulative mileage figures and want them reinstated. The book says a long push on the OK button to reinstate but it’s not doing it. Can anyone help me please? ColinB

Hello and welcome to the enthusiast's forum for discussing the MG HS PHEV.
View attachment 1901

This forum has been started by an EV owner and advocate in the hope that information, opinions, your experiences, rumours and more will get posted here to inform and entertain folks who want to know more about MG's third car with a plug, the MG HS PHEV.

Official MG resources:
Owners' manual PDF
Hi Stuart, just got our MG HS PHEV last week and loving it. Got a few questions which we try to find in the Handbook. .bit small to read some pages. (tried to download pdf but apparently not available..) Looking forward to joining the Forum and contributing where we can and hopefully getting a few tips.

Hi all,
I've had my MG HS PHEV from March 2021 so almost a year by now. First MG, first PHEV, first care of that size :)

Overall it is a good car. Easy to drive, lot of space inside (but takes a lot of space outside ;) ), many little things that comes with the car but would be in option in other cars (leather seats, heated seats, eletric seat adjustment, auto full beams, electric sunroof etc.). I like driving a PHEV simply because it fits my usage. I can do 95% of my journey in full EV and therefore don't use a single drop of petrol. At some point my total MPG was over 80 MPG!

However, when my journey exceed about 50 miles (including the return if I cannot charge the car at my destination), the pretrol engine is running and I am not impressed by the MPG and the mileage... On a 309 miles trip to France I have to refill almost at the end and the MPG is about 35. In winter with the heating on it is a bit worse. The car is big, heavy and carrying the battery makes it heavier.
I think it is a general conclusion for any hybrid, it is not efficient on long journeys.

Other things I noticed on the car:
  • infotainment screen is the worst I have had. The reactivity is shamefully slow! Is there going to be a software at some point?
  • having the heating settings on the infotainment screen is a stupied idea since the screen is not reactive
  • heating on means no EV until the car interior is a the right temperature. Then you can switch to EV but as soons as the temperature drops the car switch to hybrid.
  • as others I noticed a kind of power drop in EV at about 40 MPH but it picks up again shortly.
  • the boot is a bit small considering the size of the car but you have the batteries in it and at the moment my needs are not really represensative since I have to fit a pushchair.

Overall, it is a good affordable (in its segment) car if it fits your usages.

I will edit my message later if I remember or noticed other things.

Hi all,
I've had my MG HS PHEV from March 2021 so almost a year by now. First MG, first PHEV, first care of that size :)

Overall it is a good car. Easy to drive, lot of space inside (but takes a lot of space outside ;) ), many little things that comes with the car but would be in option in other cars (leather seats, heated seats, eletric seat adjustment, auto full beams, electric sunroof etc.). I like driving a PHEV simply because it fits my usage. I can do 95% of my journey in full EV and therefore don't use a single drop of petrol. At some point my total MPG was over 80 MPG!

However, when my journey exceed about 50 miles (including the return if I cannot charge the car at my destination), the pretrol engine is running and I am not impressed by the MPG and the mileage... On a 309 miles trip to France I have to refill almost at the end and the MPG is about 35. In winter with the heating on it is a bit worse. The car is big, heavy and carrying the battery makes it heavier.
I think it is a general conclusion for any hybrid, it is not efficient on long journeys.

Other things I noticed on the car:
  • infotainment screen is the worst I have had. The reactivity is shamefully slow! Is there going to be a software at some point?
  • having the heating settings on the infotainment screen is a stupied idea since the screen is not reactive
  • heating on means no EV until the car interior is a the right temperature. Then you can switch to EV but as soons as the temperature drops the car switch to hybrid.
  • as others I noticed a kind of power drop in EV at about 40 MPH but it picks up again shortly.
  • the boot is a bit small considering the size of the car but you have the batteries in it and at the moment my needs are not really represensative since I have to fit a pushchair.

Overall, it is a good affordable (in its segment) car if it fits your usages.

I will edit my message later if I remember or noticed other things.
Despe: Thank you for this post I have recently placed an order for the HS PHEV EXCLUSIVE to replace my MG5 EVLR. Whilst I loved the MG5 the range issues I have had with it has made me realise the MG5 will not do the job I need. Let me explain more,I run a small business and sometimes I need to collect equipment from customer sites one such site is 80 miles from me so round trip of 160 miles. The 5 failed to do the return trip as it was running out of charge with only 130 miles done and 25 left. So decided to get a charge, charging failed. Before anyone says anything top speed was 65mph (only where applicable) and lower, ambient temp 13degrees so not too cold. Finally found charger that worked left me 2.5hours later than should have been. As for small business this time loss is not productive. I tried many things to get higher range but nothing worked max 160-170. Sent to dealer can't find any problem so along with a number of issues with the woeful charging infrastructure and the poor range I decided on the PHEV. BIK is ok, to and from office will be mainly on EV, and I have the ability to travel without the need to worry about charging and delaying either a return or meeting due the charging issues. I feel the MPG costs would outweigh the loss of business and as most of my usual commute will be on EV I will still save on fuel costs. Also I believe the size of the fuel tank on the HS PHEV is only 37litres? Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

So I am with you on if it fits your usage then it is a good alternative. Yes it may have a few annoying flaws but hopefully they will be addressed at some point.

Also people don't get me wrong i loved the MG5! I was gutted when I sat down and worked out what I needed to do, but business is business and if it was going to be affected by the range then I had to make a choice.

When I fill up, it registers nearly 400 mile range, including 32 EV, I drive 60-65 in ACC, and in EV through a city, on my trip I do every 6 weeks, a 330 round trip, with about 70 miles left on return, it hyper-miles, adding a mile every so often, it will cover your range adequately Phevsamhs, a beautiful car, yes the info is slow, but once set it is OK, as others are, none are perfect, best spec for the price, others equal are more than £40k, why pay more?

When I fill up, it registers nearly 400 mile range, including 32 EV, I drive 60-65 in ACC, and in EV through a city, on my trip I do every 6 weeks, a 330 round trip, with about 70 miles left on return, it hyper-miles, adding a mile every so often, it will cover your range adequately Phevsamhs, a beautiful car, yes the info is slow, but once set it is OK, as others are, none are perfect, best spec for the price, others equal are more than £40k, why pay more?
Thanks for this Hewguy, this helps me realise I made the right choice switching from the MG5 LR to the HS PHEV. I am used to the info system as it is the same/similar as the MG5 and I agree once setup it is ok and I use CarPlay for most of my map and audio needs. Also like you I looked at other cars and for what you get with the HS you would be looking at £40k plus! That is not economically viable for a small business either. I have seen on the forum about people saying about the engine has to start in the morning if cold but I was informed of this and I see it as not too much of an issue as the savings you make on purchasing price and for me ( running business) the BIK Compared to petrol/diesel outweighs the small cost of running engine to warm car first thing.

On my trips to Lincolnshire, it averages at 50mpg, I think that will satisfy you Phevsam, the way I/we drive, others seem to toe it, and complain of consumption, if I get to my destination 15 mins later , so what?, All my other use is local on EV, I have solar panels, so granny charge when sun shines, or at Tesco, is enough for my regular use, as smaller battery, couple of hours top up is suitable, and ICE range when needed

On my trips to Lincolnshire, it averages at 50mpg, I think that will satisfy you Phevsam, the way I/we drive, others seem to toe it, and complain of consumption, if I get to my destination 15 mins later , so what?, All my other use is local on EV, I have solar panels, so granny charge when sun shines, or at Tesco, is enough for my regular use, as smaller battery, couple of hours top up is suitable, and ICE range when needed
👍👍😁

Hey everyone. A fresh owner of a HS PHEV since last week here. I have to say I'm absolutely freaking annoyed. It's just such a frustrating situation and I'm running out of patience and will to live. I work from home and cannot find enough excuses to drive the car. My wife commutes to the office a few times a week and she's all smiles how great it is to drive, this and that, EV mode etc. In the meantime I managed a trip to Tesco today, 5 km total. I cherished every second, prayed for red lights all the way, and even opened the sunroof in 10 degrees, just to play with buttons, but ended up frustrated cause it was such a short experience ;) I absolutely love this car so far.

Hey everyone. A fresh owner of a HS PHEV since last week here. I have to say I'm absolutely freaking annoyed. It's just such a frustrating situation and I'm running out of patience and will to live. I work from home and cannot find enough excuses to drive the car. My wife commutes to the office a few times a week and she's all smiles how great it is to drive, this and that, EV mode etc. In the meantime I managed a trip to Tesco today, 5 km total. I cherished every second, prayed for red lights all the way, and even opened the sunroof in 10 degrees, just to play with buttons, but ended up frustrated cause it was such a short experience ;) I absolutely love this car so far.
become a volunteer driver for a local surgery. Not only can you drive it but also wax lyrically on how good it it to your passengers over and over again.

😂🤣👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom