• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Welcome to the MG HS Plug-in Hybrid forum - MG HS PHEV Information

Hi Everyone,
just about to purchase a HS PHEV but have read various reports on its MPG , so was thinking of a last minute Chane to a MG5, would be interested to hear from you out there on what you think

It may depend on your usage, MG5, I believe is all electric, if you charge at home OK, and wait and pay high price at service stations, it might be best, but if you read my posts, I drive gently as motoring “experts” advise, get 50mpg in auto, but of course drive in EV as much as poss. Locally, which is most of the time, my total average is 70mpg, but if you drive 50 miles using petrol, then over weeks drive 100 mile on EV, then you average 150mpg, its how you use it, if most of your daily usage is within 30 miles, and can charge at home, it does not take long as a smaller battery than EV only, hope this helps, good luck with your descision.

Hi Everyone,
just about to purchase a HS PHEV but have read various reports on its MPG , so was thinking of a last minute Chane to a MG5, would be interested to hear from you out there on what you think
Personally I don't have access to charging facilities (Ireland lags behind) and I cannot install a wallbox. If I did and I could - I would definitely buy fully electric because that is surely the future. More recently, with the current fuel situation, I'm glad I drive a PHEV but would be even more at peace if I had a BEV... Having said that I quite dislike the design of MG5 but that's just me. It's a bit bland. I'd go for the new ZS myself or one of my dream cars - Hyundai Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 which are probably the best EVs on the market right now but quite pricey and availability is likely also a problem...

In terms of MPG a lot was said already but for my use - commuting 30km one way to an office where there is a free EV charger, 3 times a week - that commute costs around €6 per week, purely in EV mode. But the longer drives get expensive. Fully loaded 300km motorway drives once a week take quite a toll on the MPG but I'm still able to go 700 km between refuelling of the "puny" 37L fuel tank.

Good luck with the decision! :)

Hi Everyone,
It’s the five all the way for me nowadays.

I used to love my petrol cars and latterly the diesels that replaced them. Then for a while I thought a half way solution might be a good idea so I began dreaming of a Prius but luckily a) couldn’t afford one then and b) it was totally impractical for my work then.

So I began looking at electric vehicles with their (then) poor range but with the addition of some sort of trailer with a generator or battery - total impracticality !

Then two years ago I tried an MG ZS ev and fell in love with the whole electric motive power thing - except it was a wee bit wanting in range.

Then last September I tried a Five long range and it is terrific - range, comfort, drivability, space - everything.

If only it had been years earlier.

It may depend on your usage, MG5, I believe is all electric, if you charge at home OK, and wait and pay high price at service stations, it might be best, but if you read my posts, I drive gently as motoring “experts” advise, get 50mpg in auto, but of course drive in EV as much as poss. Locally, which is most of the time, my total average is 70mpg, but if you drive 50 miles using petrol, then over weeks drive 100 mile on EV, then you average 150mpg, its how you use it, if most of your daily usage is within 30 miles, and can charge at home, it does not take long as a smaller battery than EV only, hope this helps, good luck with your descision.
Many thanks ,

Personally I don't have access to charging facilities (Ireland lags behind) and I cannot install a wallbox. If I did and I could - I would definitely buy fully electric because that is surely the future. More recently, with the current fuel situation, I'm glad I drive a PHEV but would be even more at peace if I had a BEV... Having said that I quite dislike the design of MG5 but that's just me. It's a bit bland. I'd go for the new ZS myself or one of my dream cars - Hyundai Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 which are probably the best EVs on the market right now but quite pricey and availability is likely also a problem...

In terms of MPG a lot was said already but for my use - commuting 30km one way to an office where there is a free EV charger, 3 times a week - that commute costs around €6 per week, purely in EV mode. But the longer drives get expensive. Fully loaded 300km motorway drives once a week take quite a toll on the MPG but I'm still able to go 700 km between refuelling of the "puny" 37L fuel tank.

Good luck with the decision! :)
Thank you ,

It’s the five all the way for me nowadays.

I used to love my petrol cars and latterly the diesels that replaced them. Then for a while I thought a half way solution might be a good idea so I began dreaming of a Prius but luckily a) couldn’t afford one then and b) it was totally impractical for my work then.

So I began looking at electric vehicles with their (then) poor range but with the addition of some sort of trailer with a generator or battery - total impracticality !

Then two years ago I tried an MG ZS ev and fell in love with the whole electric motive power thing - except it was a wee bit wanting in range.

Then last September I tried a Five long range and it is terrific - range, comfort, drivability, space - everything.

If only it had been years earlier.
Thank you

Hi Everyone,
As it has been said here, it depends on usage. I have had both MG5LR First and now have HS PHEV. For me the range on the MG5 was not good enough for my needs. Including a charging network that needs far more work, So I opted for the HS PHEV which I am getting 53 mpg and using pure EV to and from place of work. The added advantage for me is I can collect customer equipment that is further away without the added issue of finding a charger and waiting for a charge. But if you are only using to commute and charge from home then the MG5LR will probably do you fine and it is a great car.

I went back from BEV to HS phev same reason. I was hiring a car rather than go out of battery range because of the lack of infrastructure and frustrating charge top up stops. Phev from my usage profile is averaging 80 mpg.

I went back from BEV to HS phev same reason. I was hiring a car rather than go out of battery range because of the lack of infrastructure and frustrating charge top up stops. Phev from my usage profile is averaging 80 mpg.
👍 I think my mpg will rise when the warmer weather arrives and I get used to using the HS PHEV System. I think frustrated about the charging network would be an understatement.

My neighbour has a Peugeot EV with a range of 250 miles.

It took him 8 hours to get to Blackpool the other week.
Setting off with a full charge, complete with wife, kids and luggage he got about 40 miles before he started to get worried as to how fast the range was depleting. He stopped at a charge station, which was out of order, then drove 10 miles to a supermarket in which he was 3rd in the queue to use the charger. After over 2 hours of waiting and charging, he got to a super charger station that charged it up. He got to Blackpool with less than 20%, with the heating and radio off.

Similar story on the way back.

He said it's never leaving the city again and should have taken the wifes Citroen C1 instead.

Hi - Sorry to gate crash, but my son is interested in purchasing a MG HS PHEV.
Can somebody tell me what the difference is between the Excite and the Exclusive please ?.
They both appear to have the "Pleather" seats unlike the ZS EV models.
Excite cloth / Exclusive Pleather.
I suspect there is no pan sun roof in the Excite model ?.
I would be very grateful if any HS PHEV owners could provide a list of the different spec's.
Also, your top five likes and dislikes with the car.
Thank you folks !.

I’ve just purchased the Exclusive a week ago , yes it has the sunroof , also electric tail gate opening , if your going to pay near to 30K I would recommend getting the Exclusive

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - Sorry to gate crash, but my son is interested in purchasing a MG HS PHEV.
Can somebody tell me what the difference is between the Excite and the Exclusive please ?.
They both appear to have the "Pleather" seats unlike the ZS EV models.
Excite cloth / Exclusive Pleather.
I suspect there is no pan sun roof in the Excite model ?.
I would be very grateful if any HS PHEV owners could provide a list of the different spec's.
Also, your top five likes and dislikes with the car.
Thank you folks !.
Hello. Here you have the full spec sheet for both Excite and Exclusive - MG HS Plug-in Hybrid | Hybrid SUV. Definitely worth getting exclusive for the sunroof, electric tailgate, full leather interior, electrically adjusted seats and a few other bits.

In terms of likes and dislikes. For me the likes are the ride quality, performance, decent "EV only" range that is mostly accurate, automatic cruise control, digital driver's display. The dislikes are very subjective but for me the fact that air con controls are in the touch screen only, speed of charging (no real fast charging), low position of the rear view mirror that obstructs the view if you're tall and like me like to sit up high, temperamental tailgate. Otherwise I absolutely love this car and would recommend that your son takes it for a spin to see for himself. Pictures don't do it justice and it's a LOT of car for the money.

Hope this helps :)

Hello. Here you have the full spec sheet for both Excite and Exclusive - MG HS Plug-in Hybrid | Hybrid SUV. Definitely worth getting exclusive for the sunroof, electric tailgate, full leather interior, electrically adjusted seats and a few other bits.

In terms of likes and dislikes. For me the likes are the ride quality, performance, decent "EV only" range that is mostly accurate, automatic cruise control, digital driver's display. The dislikes are very subjective but for me the fact that air con controls are in the touch screen only, speed of charging (no real fast charging), low position of the rear view mirror that obstructs the view if you're tall and like me like to sit up high, temperamental tailgate. Otherwise I absolutely love this car and would recommend that your son takes it for a spin to see for himself. Pictures don't do it justice and it's a LOT of car for the money.

Thank you for your reply @JavaDaHat.
I have been watching some reviews on behalf of my son and they appear to match yours.
The spec states that the car will charge at 7 Kw/h which is great, but ( as yet ) he does not have a wall box.
Can you tell me how long will it take to charge from empty to full on the "Granny" lead ?.
Also, is it correct that you are unable to run the cabin heater or A/C without inviting the ICE along to the party.
If so, that IS a strange set up ?.
In the winter time, you are going to be running the ICE just to make very short trips, when this how the electric range SHOULD be used ??.
Please correct my understanding here, as I would love to be proved incorrect !.
I owned a VW PHEV for over four years, before going full EV about two years ago.
You could use the range stored in the HV battery in any way that you seen fit !.

Thank you for your reply @JavaDaHat.
I have been watching some reviews on behalf of my son and they appear to match yours.
The spec states that the car will charge at 7 Kw/h which is great, but ( as yet ) he does not have a wall box.
Can you tell me how long will it take to charge from empty to full on the "Granny" lead ?.
Also, is it correct that you are unable to run the cabin heater or A/C without inviting the ICE along to the party.
If so, that IS a strange set up ?.
In the winter time, you are going to be running the ICE just to make very short trips, when this how the electric range SHOULD be used ??.
Please correct my understanding here, as I would love to be proved incorrect !.
I owned a VW PHEV for over four years, before going full EV about two years ago.
You could use the range stored in the HV battery in any way that you seen fit !.
I'm using granny charger exclusively and it takes about 6 hours to fully charge. I think I normally see something like 5h 50m remaining when the battery is close to zero.

Regarding the heater. I would suggest that you search / browse this forum because this topic has been covered extensively in several threads and kind people here went into a lot of detail. I mention that because I don't want to miss something that could be potentially important to you. But indeed ICE kicks in if you set the cabin temp (A/C on or off) to higher than outside. Car does not have a heat pump that BEVs have so it relies exclusively on ICE for heat. Once the cabin temp reaches what you set, the ICE is no longer needed and will only kick in again if the cabin temp drops again. A/C itself does work without ICE as long as said cabin temp remains at or above set level.

From my experience, driving in reasonably mild Irish winter, the ICE kicks in for a couple of KM and then drops off for short trips. Heated seats come in very handy here cause sometimes I wouldn't even heat up the cabin for those short trips. I admit that this is not ideal but again - result of not having heat pump in the car.

I'm using granny charger exclusively and it takes about 6 hours to fully charge. I think I normally see something like 5h 50m remaining when the battery is close to zero.

Regarding the heater. I would suggest that you search / browse this forum because this topic has been covered extensively in several threads and kind people here went into a lot of detail. I mention that because I don't want to miss something that could be potentially important to you. But indeed ICE kicks in if you set the cabin temp (A/C on or off) to higher than outside. Car does not have a heat pump that BEVs have so it relies exclusively on ICE for heat. Once the cabin temp reaches what you set, the ICE is no longer needed and will only kick in again if the cabin temp drops again. A/C itself does work without ICE as long as said cabin temp remains at or above set level.

From my experience, driving in reasonably mild Irish winter, the ICE kicks in for a couple of KM and then drops off for short trips. Heated seats come in very handy here cause sometimes I wouldn't even heat up the cabin for those short trips. I admit that this is not ideal but again - result of not having heat pump in the car.
Thank you once again for your reply.
Strangely enough, I have been just reading the very post that you have suggested !.
What a strange and bazar set up that is on the HS PHEV !.
Not being able to request cabin heat without inducting the ICE, thats completely bonkers to me.
Many EV's including the full BEV - MG ZS range are not equipped with heat pumps either.
I owned a VW Golf PHEV for over four years, before going full BEV.
The VW Golf did NOT have a heat pump either, but it would allow you to use what ever you had stored in the HV battery to your complete discretion.
If you wanted to drive the car in full EV mode up to about 80 MPH with the heater fully on, it would remain in EV mode until the battery was completely depleted.
Also, the car was set up / designed to boot up in full EV mode, as long as there was some charge left in the HV battery.
The ICE would not start until the EV button was lifted !.

Good short journey car. Wife does a 14 mile round trip daily to work and drives in EV mode mostly, good savings to be made rather than long journeys. I personally dont like the gearbox setup between the electric and ice as I find it too revvy and that annoying lag in gear change about 50mph which is annoying and even dangerous when overtaking in EV mode. The car is comfortable to drive and handles fairly well on bad roads all in all a good buy for the money when they sort out that gearbox issue with a software update hopefully.

Hi Everyone. I thought I'd mention this in case some of you are not in the MG HS Owners UK group on Facebook (I recommend it by the way). So one of the gripes that come up often is the position of the rear view mirror. Incredibly, there is a double knuckle joint which allows the mirror to go up and down. Have a look at this post for details but be careful when adjusting as it did snap for some people! For me it worked a miracle and I no longer need to exercise my neck when driving around :)

Hi Everyone. I thought I'd mention this in case some of you are not in the MG HS Owners UK group on Facebook (I recommend it by the way). So one of the gripes that come up often is the position of the rear view mirror. Incredibly, there is a double knuckle joint which allows the mirror to go up and down. Have a look at this post for details but be careful when adjusting as it did snap for some people! For me it worked a miracle and I no longer need to exercise my neck when driving around :)

Sorry, I am not a "Face Book" member, so unable to read the post 🤷‍♂️ .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom