What’s Bringing Out the EVs?

bwanamdevu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Being a bit of a nerd and now a convinced proponent for the use of Electric Vehicles, I like to count how many ‘Green Flash’ cars I notice on my travels but of course any older EVs escape my count as their number plates predate the use of this identifying mark.

Today, just got back from a trip to Nottingham, about 64 miles travelled and I noticed eight EVs of this sort. Yesterday, just drove the few miles into Newark and noticed six. A round trip to Worksop, midweek of about 55 miles produced a count of five. Last November, when I picked up my MG5, I would be lucky to spot two on similar journeys.

So what do you think has caused this increase. Could it be environmental awareness? A sudden influx of EVs from China? Chips needed for all EV production being available once again? The price of ICE fuel? Or a combination of the above, as they say?

What do you think?

I think it's just the practicalities of car ownership, and it's reaching that tipping point, where there are just more EV's available, and more available at a more mainstream price as more manufacturers are now producing them, making it a viable proposition against ICE vehicles, with the MG5 as a prime example.
Range would be the other thing, range has creeped up, making it a more practical option for more people as well.

EV's are on an upward trajectory at the minute, with no sign of that abating at the minute

When you look at market availability and the typical 24-36 month leasing cycle. This is around the time that EV models are established enough that those taking out a new lease are considering swapping from ICE to EV

I knew my current daily driver diesel wouldn't last more than 2 years, the mg5 ticked enough boxes to make the switch to EV without range anxiety. Timing and pricing was perfect.

The green identifier is not a thing here in France, but aftermarket companies have already identified this as a market and are producing stickers to go over the regular blue ones.
1647262589883.png

Being a bit of a nerd and now a convinced proponent for the use of Electric Vehicles, I like to count how many ‘Green Flash’ cars I notice on my travels but of course any older EVs escape my count as their number plates predate the use of this identifying mark.

Today, just got back from a trip to Nottingham, about 64 miles travelled and I noticed eight EVs of this sort. Yesterday, just drove the few miles into Newark and noticed six. A round trip to Worksop, midweek of about 55 miles produced a count of five. Last November, when I picked up my MG5, I would be lucky to spot two on similar journeys.

So what do you think has caused this increase. Could it be environmental awareness? A sudden influx of EVs from China? Chips needed for all EV production being available once again? The price of ICE fuel? Or a combination of the above, as they say?

What do you think?
Obviously there are more on the road, but as you rightly said you wouldn't have seen them before without the green mark unless it was obvious eg Teslas.
As the newer ones with the green mark become more prevalent then that's why we are seeing more.

This is very true. Saw a ZS EV today and a Mini, both of which I wouldnt have counted as an EV automatically if it hadn't been for the green flash.

What do you think?
I think we should pay some credit to the Tesla company !.
Love or hate them, Tesla made other manufactures sit up and take notice to the fact, that people actual wanted to move forward to electric propulsion over ICE cars and more shockingly, they wanted to buy them !.
This is all before the big clamp down on the announcement on ending building ICE cars now.
Major manufactures have joined the party too late and are now trying to play catch up.
No - I don’t own a Tesla, but I do drive a EV having them opened up my eyes to the future of motoring.
Tesla’s build quality at first was questionable, but has improved a lot.
But what’s really important, is their software and charging network is streets ahead of anybody else.
All EV owners both past and in the future, have a lot to thank Tesla for.
Otherwise, many manufactures would STILL be selling us dirty ICE cars now.

Last edited:
I think we should pay some credit to the Tesla company !.
Love or hate them, Tesla made other manufactures sit up and take notice to the fact, that people actual wanted to move forward to electric propulsion over ICE cars and more shockingly, they wanted to buy them !.
This is all before the big clamp down on the announcement on ending building ICE cars now.
Major manufactures have joined the party too late and are now trying to play catch up.
No - I don’t own a Tesla, but I do drive a EV having them opened up my eyes to the future of motoring.
There build quality at first was questionable, but has improved a lot.
But what’s really important, is their software and charging network is streets ahead of anybody else.
All EV owners both past and in the future, have a lot to thank Tesla for.
Otherwise, many manufactures would STILL be selling us dirty ICE cars now.
Rover were working really hard on Hybrid and EVs before they fell over.

Rover were working really hard on Hybrid and EVs before they fell over.
That does not surprise me at all @Dave to be honest.
B/L - Triumph where one of the first people to bring a Lucas fuel injection system to road going cars in the 1970's.
Everything else where running on carbs at this point in time.
The Triumph 2000 2.5 PI and the TR6 PI ( same engine ) both had the Lucas fuel injection system fitted.
They would just love to pop and spit fire like a dragon from the exhaust, if one of the six injectors got blocked.
I have worked on more than a few Triumph 2.5 PI unmarked police cars equipped with this system fitted back in the day.
When the system was running correctly is was brilliant, the power gain was amazing !.
But if it developed a fault, it made the straight six cylinder engine run like a total bag of sh*** !.
The standard Triumph 2000 had the normal twin carb set up, run by a normal engine driven lift pump, ran like a dream.
The 2.5 PI however, had the Lucas PI system, that had a electric high pressure fuel pump mounted on rubber feet, that bolted to the boot floor, it produced a high noise and hit about 115 PSI of pressure, when it sent pressure to the meter pump, when turning on the ignition.
The fuel metering pump itself, was bolted onto the righthand side of the engine block, and was driven directly via the cam shaft, from an adaptor made to replace the original mechanical fuel pump.
It then metered the high pressure fuel and then delivered it to each of the six independent fuel injectors, and then straight into each cylinder via intake manifold on top of each compression stroke.
This is a very basic description of the system itself, but trust me it was far more complicated than that, and big money if any parts needed replacing of course, and they did !.
To be fair, they where not scared of bringing new idea's to the market ahead or their rivals !

Been there, done that !.
Triumph GT6 or a MGBGT V8 - Now there a bit of a handful to control on a rainy day !.
MGB GT V8 was my dream car. I actually test drove one back in '97 that was for sale in Blackpool. It wasn't a genuine one, it was based on a South African import with a 3.9 litre V8 shoehorned into. Went like the clappers!

Sadly I didn't get a good enough trade in on my Astra at the time so jibbed it. One of life's great regrets...

We regularly have to pick up our grandchildren from school, private with a large catchment area and as far as I have noticed only one child walks to school.

Only 5 EVs that I know of, 2 Teslas, 2 BMW i3s and our MG5. Being of that demographic more Range Rovers, LR Discoverys, and big Mercedes SUVs each brand than there are EVs overall.

And they all take up about the space of 1.5 cars in a normal car park, net result is not enough spaces!

MGB GT V8 was my dream car. I actually test drove one back in '97 that was for sale in Blackpool. It wasn't a genuine one, it was based on a South African import with a 3.9 litre V8 shoehorned into. Went like the clappers!

Sadly I didn't get a good enough trade in on my Astra at the time so jibbed it. One of life's great regrets...
You may like this little story !.
Our dealership sold a brand new dark red MGB V8 and I remember watching the guy on the next ramp, carrying out the PDI checks on the car.
About a month latter, I was walking through the large bodyshop and spotted the same car, that had been in a very bad accident.
The car required a complete body shell replacement !.
A close friend of mine ( who leaves about 10 houses away ) did the body shell change !.
The bare painted body shell on one ramp and the damaged car on the ramp next to it.
Switching over everything took about two weeks !.
That was the only V8 that passed through our dealership.
A very fast and rare car indeed.

What do you think?
I hardly ever noticed an EV on the road before I got one, now I spot loads of them. I think that once you get one you tend to notice more although it is true that more and more people are buying EV's

I got green with envy as my 21 plate didn't have the green band.
So i bought some stickers for £1.89 from ebay.
I'll put them on tomorrow after i wash the car.
Today's the sabbath.... yes sabbath is a Saturday not a Sunday😉

Today's the sabbath.... yes sabbath is a Saturday not a Sunday😉
My best friend from University is Jewish and he never used to allow the Sabbath to get in the way of his DJ ing or his other activities! He was very reformed!
Surely posting on here is also forbidden to Orthodox people so you shouldn’t really be doing this either!

Today's the sabbath.... yes sabbath is a Saturday not a Sunday

My best friend from University is Jewish and he never used to allow the Sabbath to get in the way of his DJ ing or his other activities! He was very reformed!
Surely posting on here is also forbidden to Orthodox people so you shouldn’t really be doing this either!
I'm not Jewish it was a tongue on cheek excuse for me to not wash my car today.

Lighten up, i'm also sure orthodox people would encourage knowledge into their religion rather than ignorance.

I'm not Jewish it was a tongue on cheek excuse for me to not wash my car today.

Lighten up, i'm also sure orthodox people would encourage knowledge into their religion rather than ignorance.
I really didn’t think you were Jewish mate!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom