• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Which charging cable?

DanRiz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I intend to get an untethered wall charger installed soon and Im a slightly confused about charging cables.
90% of the time i will be charging at home. From what I understand a 32amp type 2 to type 2 cable, is the standard everyone gets.

The ZS EV has CCS and type 2 port, so Im confused when CCS cable is needed.
I also noticed some type 2 cables are now Generation 3.2 which they claim is a tougher and more resilient , IP55 etc.. Is it worth paying more?
Thanks all.

The CCS is for rapid charging, which you cannot purchase as these cables like all rapid chargers are attached to the machines, you will only ever need a type 2 for what they call fast chargers for example 7 and 22 kWh units or for home charging if you have your own 7 KWh installed.

I intend to get an untethered wall charger installed soon and Im a slightly confused about charging cables.
90% of the time i will be charging at home. From what I understand a 32amp type 2 to type 2 cable, is the standard everyone gets.

The ZS EV has CCS and type 2 port, so Im confused when CCS cable is needed.
I also noticed some type 2 cables are now Generation 3.2 which they claim is a tougher and more resilient , IP55 etc.. Is it worth paying more?
Thanks all.
CCS DC public chargers are always tethered so you won't find one to buy as an accessory. Type 2 to type2 32amp is fine for the MG ZS as it is max 7kW AC charging. If you have other EVs that are capable of up to 22kW AC charging then you want a 3 phase type 2.

Thanks both for your reply. Type 2 to type 2, 32amp it is.

Do you know about Generation 3.2 cable, which they claim is most resilient charging cable.
It seems to be sold on a few sites. see here

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks both for your reply. Type 2 to type 2, 32amp it is.

Do you know about Generation 3.2 cable, which they claim is most resilient charging cable.
It seems to be sold on a few sites. see here
Not sure the difference between Generation 3.1 or 3.2 but guess something to do with resilience and durability. Those on your link look up to the job spec wise but make sure you get at least a 5mtr length as any shorter will be very restrictive. Prices for a 5mtr length are slightly cheaper than I paid for a 3 phase cable from Polar about 4 years ago and the single phase I have came with the BMW. Both my cables have been looked after and carefully stored when not in use and look as good as new. If you try and make sure nothing will potentially damage them whilst in use i.e. trailing them in close to your vehicle and the charge point so people or vehicles don't tread on them or sharp objects then they should give good reliable service. Keep debris out of the connectors.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom