Why 150 kw charger?

muppet77

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Silly Question - why do some motorway chargers advertise themselves as 150kw when you can’t even get close to that speed? Are there vehicles that can..?

Silly Question - why do some motorway chargers advertise themselves as 150kw when you can’t even get close to that speed? Are there vehicles that can..?
Yes the MG4 LR/Trophy for instance can get to 140kw. Other cars are capable of more e.g. Taycan will peak at 270kw.
The advertised speed of the charger is the max it can output many other factors may limit the charge recieved.

The MG 4 specs state 130kw max, many have experienced it taking 140kw from the chargers. The MG4 is 400v architecture.

They want to justify the extra cost…

Not quite sure what you mean, by "they want to justify the extra cost".
Having very high charge speeds overcomes one of the challenges people have with EVs.
On the MG4 140kw DC charging is useful on long journeys where a charge is needed. 10-80% in around 30min.

They charge more per KwHr on ultra fast chargers

They charge more per KwHr on ultra fast chargers
Ahh I get you, yes the cost per unit is high, and I would agree that these are high in comparison to home charging. They aren't cheap to install and subject to the same price protection we get on domestic as I understand though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom