WiFi / Hotspot in ZS EV Trophy LR?

LeeB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Evening all,

Just received my ZS EV Trophy Long Range yesterday…loving it so far, apart from being surprised it doesn’t come with mats!

I’ve looked through all menus (Settings, Vehicle etc) but cannot find any mention of WiFi or Hotspot anywhere. I’ve even checked settings within CarPlay and again, no mention.

Does the Trophy model (it’s not the Trophy with Connect features added, as I ordered it in February) not have the option to connect to WiFi, whether it be direct to WiFi or via mobile hotspot?

If not, how does it do the OTA updates? Surely these updates would be too large for any on-board data sim, that I assume is needed for the DAB and Find My Car features…

Thanks I’m advance for any assistance.

The trophy has a built-in sim card for OTA updates, but this is not enabled for WiFi hotspots. Only the trophy connect is able to do this at present, although connect features will be added to upcoming trophy models following the removal of the pano roof.

I have the trophy connect and have located the hidden menu in the Infotainment system ie you pull down the screen from the top.
You can enable WiFi hotspot but when I try to connect my phone it asks for the hotspot password, which I don't have and cannot find in the manual.
Does anyone know the code pls?

If the MG5 Trophy Connect is similar to the MG4 Trophy you should have a 'Settings' menu for the Infotainment system. On the MG4 you swipe the Home screen right or tap the settings gearwheel on the hidden menu. The settings menu should have an option of WiFi hotspot, which will have the password.

We paid £500 for connected model, assuming, £100 went to MG UK, £40 went to dealer, £360 would be left for mobile data provider and service for say 15 years. That would be 360/15 = £24/year or £2/months. I remember Tomtom real-time HD traffic information cost £10 a months many many years ago.

How much mobile data do you expect to get from the heavy mobile device with 50kWh battery?

The trophy has a built-in sim card for OTA updates, but this is not enabled for WiFi hotspots. Only the trophy connect is able to do this at present, although connect features will be added to upcoming trophy models following the removal of the pano roof.
Do you know if it's possible to get the connect features added to a Trophy after delivery, as in could a pay £500 and they update the software

Do you know if it's possible to get the connect features added to a Trophy after delivery, as in could a pay £500 and they update the software
Simple answer is no. Different hardware in the Connect model which is what caused production delays during the chip shortage.

Simple answer is no. Different hardware in the Connect model which is what caused production delays during the chip shortage.
That's a shame, I bought a, what I thought, brand new ZS 2 weeks ago so I assumed it would have the connected services, but after looking for Amazon Music etc and also now realising the sunroof, which I have, has been removed on new models, that I've been sold an old model.

Last edited:
That's a shame, I bought a, what I thought, brand new ZS 2 weeks ago so I assumed it would have the connected services, but after looking for Amazon Music etc and also now realising the sunroof has been removed that I've been sold an old model.
When the new face lift Gen 2 model was first released, the higher spec cars where either Trophy or Trophy connect.
The connect features like voice control etc was an additional £500 on top of the standard price of the Trophy model.
If you ordered the higher spec Trophy model about the summer time of 23 then it was going to be a bit hit and miss.
As MG had removed this feature about June / July but, had intended to included the connect feature as the consolation prize is my understanding.
Customers collecting their cars after this date, had no idea if the sky roof was included or not, until the car arrived.
Some customers did get lucky, but it was a 50/50 thing.
If your Trophy model has no sky roof, then it is a fairly recent build ?.

When the new face lift Gen 2 model was first released, the higher spec cars where either Trophy or Trophy connect.
The connect features like voice control etc was an additional £500 on top of the standard price of the Trophy model.
If you ordered the higher spec Trophy model about the summer time of 23 then it was going to be a bit hit and miss.
As MG had removed this feature about June / July but, had intended to included the connect feature as the consolation prize is my understanding.
Customers collecting their cars after this date, had no idea if the sky roof was included or not, until the car arrived.
Some customers did get lucky, but it was a 50/50 thing.
If your Trophy model has no sky roof, then it is a fairly recent build ?.
I ordered it 10 days before I picked it up, it was stock the dealer already had. If I knew it didn't come with the connected stuff I would have insisted on a factory order.

That's a shame, I bought a, what I thought, brand new ZS 2 weeks ago so I assumed it would have the connected services, but after looking for Amazon Music etc and also now realising the sunroof, which I have, has been removed on new models, that I've been sold an old model.
I have the connect and the Amazon app is rubbish, far better to use carplay and then use the Amazon music carplay app. Carlink 4 is a great wireless adapter. I don't need MG voice control either as it does nothing. I can use the voice to open/close the sunroof, great I don't have one! I'd prefer the sunroof over a connect...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom