Wireless Android Auto - now Possible!

octagon

Standard Member
Reaction score
When I first had my ZS EV I didn't have any success getting Android Auto to work (with cable) on my then mobile; Huawei P30 Pro. I was resigned to using the out-of-date in-built navigation system.
When I changed my mobile to a Xiaomi 11T Pro Android auto worked. I wouldn’t say faultlessly, it sometimes took several unplugs to work, and sometimes it would work first time. However, I resigned myself to this, it was acceptable.
After seeing a video showing a wireless android Auto dongle called AA Wireless in a mk1 MG ZS EV I decided to give it a go. The cost was around £89 including shipping from Hong Kong, using Post NL service.
After about three weeks the unit arrived. Installation was fairly straightforward, consisting of plugging the unit into the car’s dedicated USB socket, downloading the AA Wireless app, and configuring via the app. Did it work? YES, it did! In fact, I’d say it was better than when AA was used with the phone connected by cable.
I have just given the dongle a thorough test on a 300 miles round trip. It didn’t behave faultlessly. On two occasions on both the outward and return journeys AA wireless stopped working and reverted to the car’s home screen. However, on all occasions, after about 30 seconds, the phone gave a bleep, and AA returned with the navigation app still running; I didn’t need to re-enter my destination.
Would I recommend it? Yes, even with the occasional glitch it is a real improvement. The only thing to remember is now that you use AA is Wireless you have to remember to keep the phone charged, as when it was connected by cable it didn’t matter.

I have AA wireless in my MK2 and more often than not the AA wireless would connect to my phone but android auto would not start. Then I have to drag the notification and click reconnect, sometimes a few times. Anyone else has that problem? What settings do you guys use in AA wireless?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom