Zap Map

Edoc16

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all, making a wee trip to Aberdeen next week and will obviously fill up before leaving but...plan on using zap map as a guide to charging points en route-
Q - I have put in the planned route on my mobile and potential charging points, if I plug in and use Applecarplay will the route come up on the main screen ?

ok thx Cocijo :)
I would recommend doing a bit of preparation and looking at other planners. They all have flaws but it will give you different options. ABRP a better route planner is worth a look. Watts up. Chargemap. Plugshare. All apps worth a look if you have the time. Waze is also a great trip planner and navigation Tool. I tend to input the postcode of the charger that I intend to use. Enjoy your trip.

I'm trialing the premium version and had saved a route but when trying to view it on CarPlay, the app only copies the charge point out to Apple maps and then you're stuck following whatever route is calculated on there.
For me, I'd planned a route via smaller roads as it was my first drive and I didn't just want to be sitting on the motorway - this was all saved in Zap-Map but didn't transfer to Apple maps obviously because only the charging point half way was being navigated too.

This is confirmed in the FAQ so I'm still looking for an app that follows a pre-defined route...

Andy

Try the TomTom Go app on apple, with the EV charger poi.
Or failing that use zapmap free version to plan your route and note the charger locations to input to your satnav.

I would recommend doing a bit of preparation and looking at other planners. They all have flaws but it will give you different options. ABRP a better route planner is worth a look. Watts up. Chargemap. Plugshare. All apps worth a look if you have the time. Waze is also a great trip planner and navigation Tool. I tend to input the postcode of the charger that I intend to use. Enjoy your trip.
Thx yet again will now use Waze as it has up to minute traffic info and speed traps !
Try the TomTom Go app on apple, with the EV charger poi.
Or failing that use zapmap free version to plan your route and note the charger locations to input to your satnav.
Thx for that 5teep, now have so many options ! loaded on 4 different apps just to confuse me on the way up to the granite city

It's around 120 miles to Aberdeen from Stirling so it shouldn't be a problem. I would expect there would be a CCS charger somewhere in the Dundee are you could give it a wee boost

It's around 120 miles to Aberdeen from Stirling so it shouldn't be a problem. I would expect there would be a CCS charger somewhere in the Dundee are you could give it a wee boost
Only 15 or 20 of them 😂

I’ve gone up to Banchory a couple of times and stopped at Brechin church street charger very successfully. Walk round the corner to the “Auld Bake House” for coffee plus Braw cakes / fine scones or a superb lunch - excellent.

I’ve gone up to Banchory a couple of times and stopped at Brechin church street charger very successfully. Walk round the corner to the “Auld Bake House” for coffee plus Braw cakes / fine scones or a superb lunch - excellent.
Just back Archev and not pleasant re charging, we stayed at Jurys Inn and was told charging unit in multi story carp at rail station-went in and tried all floors until finally found it stuck away in a corner and it was a Chargeplace unit untethered so...got the cable out and surprise had to phone the rarely answered number but finally got through Oh.. the guy said we've reported that machine to the supplier that it didn't work :-( plan B... zap map told me charger at Gallogate car park - couldn't find it but a very kind taxi guy said "follow me" and after a tour of Aberdeen city centre found it - only had to phone Chargeplace AGAIN as it didn't want to work but finally got it going and went for a long coffee break. Now beginning to wonder if I should keep fairly close to home and chargers I know work. Methinks the infrastructure will take a while to catch up with EV sales, meantime us pioneers will have to keep our wagons hitched up and rollin....

Oh dear that’s not so good. And I was reading about the problems at Stirling hub too. I thought this new Swarco folks were the panacea to the whole power issue.
On a brighter note, and to whet the appetite for some more electric escapes, we had a fantastic three days in Dornoch and beyond last week. Travelled up via Dalwhinnie where the seemingly refurbished charger filled the ZS to the brim faster than I could polish off the superb mince and tatties in the Snack Shack right next door. The Granny cable was employed at the chalet to do an overnight on the next night which kept things rolling sweetly until another stop at Dalwhinnie only just refilled the battery faster than we devoured the fantastic roast beef rolls and fine coffee at the same food emporium.
Found a sign in the sand to tug at a few heart strings :-

Attachments

• 4F480CF3-075B-4BA6-A29E-3AFACD0A52DD.jpeg
    4F480CF3-075B-4BA6-A29E-3AFACD0A52DD.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 130
The new LR 5 is sitting in Frasers in Falkirk now and as soon as the paper chase is over we’ll exchange cars and keys hopefully later this week and prepare for another adventure.

Just back Archev and not pleasant re charging, we stayed at Jurys Inn and was told charging unit in multi story carp at rail station-went in and tried all floors until finally found it stuck away in a corner and it was a Chargeplace unit untethered so...got the cable out and surprise had to phone the rarely answered number but finally got through Oh.. the guy said we've reported that machine to the supplier that it didn't work :-( plan B... zap map told me charger at Gallogate car park - couldn't find it but a very kind taxi guy said "follow me" and after a tour of Aberdeen city centre found it - only had to phone Chargeplace AGAIN as it didn't want to work but finally got it going and went for a long coffee break. Now beginning to wonder if I should keep fairly close to home and chargers I know work. Methinks the infrastructure will take a while to catch up with EV sales, meantime us pioneers will have to keep our wagons hitched up and rollin....

There are a number of rapid chargers in and around Aberdeen, the Frederick St car park very near Gallowgate has 3 rapids in a row. I use Craibstone park and ride (next to the airport) which has two rapids.

How do you get the POIs into the TomTom app?
I'm not honestly sure, I think you probably buy them and the link installs?
I am using my stand alone tomtom which still works fine and has the ev poi's 'automatically'
I did try the app version and found it pretty good, I'll most likely go for it when the current one dies.

I'm not honestly sure, I think you probably buy them and the link installs?
I am using my stand alone tomtom which still works fine and has the ev poi's 'automatically'
I did try the app version and found it pretty good, I'll most likely go for it when the current one dies.
Thank you, I don’t think you can add POI data to the app sadly so you might want to hold off for now…

The new LR 5 is sitting in Frasers in Falkirk now and as soon as the paper chase is over we’ll exchange cars and keys hopefully later this week and prepare for another adventure.

"MG overtakes Honda, Renault and Mazda as UK sales hit record high"​

Headline in papers today ...

We must have chosen the right car -which all knew anyway :cool:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom