‘Charger Connected’ but it isn’t…

mwilkins777

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Morning all,

I’m new to this forum and new to owning an MG5 EV SR, which we’ve had for the past couple of weeks.

Really like the car and it has worked perfectly so far, but when my wife arrived at work today having charged the vehicle last night, she was presented with a ‘Charger Connected’ message on the driver display and is unable to move the car. It thinks there is a charger connected, but there isn’t.

She’s checked the charge point and hatch and all appears ok. She’s also turned the car on and off and the message persists.

Has anybody come across this before? Is there a workaround or is this a major fault that needs to be investigated by MG?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt

It's a problem that might be cured with a quick 12V reset (disconnect the 12V battery for a while).
It will still need to be checked out but it might get you going.
If you can't do it yourself, best to call MG Assistance.

Have you tried connecting it to an EVSE, the granny might trigger it into life😁

Thanks for your help all - it’s now working after leaving it for around an hour. Will still notify MG as could be an underlying issue.

Sounds to me like the plug locking pin was stuck in the unlocked position and it gradually returned.
If it happens again try tugging and releasing the manual release under the bonnet a few times to free it up. Long term it may require a bit of lubrication, something like spray graphite or similar.

Looks like this chap has the same issue as you, but on a motorway.

Looks like this chap has the same issue as you, but on a motorway.

It happened to us again…this time on a motorway ! Very worrying…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom