šŸ™OCTOPUS ENERGY MOVE COMPLETE šŸ™

They sent me a message on the 5th stating there s no record on my account of a switch to the Go tariff but they included a link in the message for me to process the move. I used that link and within 5 minutes I was in the Go tariff but at the new higher rates.

I argued that sending me the link could of been done a week earlier when I called them, or a couple of days later when I emailed them! That way I would of been on the lower rate fixed for 12 months. A couple of hours later they messaged again and I had been put on the Dec 2021 rates as quoted when I signed up.

All well in the end but annoying I wasn't given the link in my numerous contacts before the price increase. The cynic in me felt they'd delayed it to get me on the higher rate but to be fair they honoured the rate quickly so they got it right in the end.
You did better than me mate. I called them today to initiate the move to Go and they wouldn't budge from the new rates. All I got was a Ā£50 goodwill credit on my account. Not particularly happy as the previous operator told me I'd be on the lower rate for 12 months.

In case anyone is interested I've just calculated that in order for me to save any money now by switching to octopus go I'd have to charge my MG5 for at least 6 hours per week (approx. 150 miles). This is based on the following:

Yearly consumption excluding charging: 6000kWh

Total cost including charging for 6 hours per week on current variable rate: Ā£3376

Total cost including charging for 6 hours per week on new Octopus Go rate: Ā£3351

(Last week I only needed 4 hours charge per week to save money. Should have switched then but hindsight is a wonderful thing!)
For what its worth I think anyone thinking of switching to go needs to do their own calculations as I,m currently with Octopus but my annual consumption is for various reasons is above average and my mileage is quiet low so the increase above energy cap for hours outside 0.00 - 04.30 means I'd pay more than I'd save on changing alone. Octopus have been good supplier since i got moved them after last provider went bust.

For what its worth I think anyone thinking of switching to go needs to do their own calculations as I,m currently with Octopus but my annual consumption is for various reasons is above average and my mileage is quiet low so the increase above energy cap for hours outside 0.00 - 04.30 means I'd pay more than I'd save on changing alone. Octopus have been good supplier since i got moved them after last provider went bust.
Yup - itā€™s all about everyoneā€™s own usage. Weā€™re on go and weā€™re a low usage family (roughly 6kwh a day without charging).

For us - if we load shift our washing machine and dishwasher to the cheap period and keep the rest - we roughly break even on our old British Gas tariff of 22p/kWh (make a decent saving on the standard variable tariff too). The more you can shift to this cheap period the cheaper the overall average kWh becomes. When we charge the car - theoretically we can get our average price/kWh closer to 11 or 12p so a big saving compared to our old British Gas or the variable tariff - but obviously it all depends on usage and if you can shift the usage. Hence why Iā€™m now looking at batter storage! :)

Iā€™ve made far too many spreadsheets and graphs over the past few months - Iā€™m just glad I was able to switch to go at the Dec 2021 rate!

Key point is that you can leave at any time without penalty if the numbers no longer work.

... - theoretically we can get our average price/kWh closer to 11 or 12p so a big saving compared to our old British Gas or the variable tariff - but obviously it all depends on usage and if you can shift the usage. Hence why Iā€™m now looking at batter storage! :)
Never have to wait for a Yorkshire pudding or pancake again. :ROFLMAO:

Yup - itā€™s all about everyoneā€™s own usage. Weā€™re on go and weā€™re a low usage family (roughly 6kwh a day without charging).

For us - if we load shift our washing machine and dishwasher to the cheap period and keep the rest - we roughly break even on our old British Gas tariff of 22p/kWh (make a decent saving on the standard variable tariff too). The more you can shift to this cheap period the cheaper the overall average kWh becomes. When we charge the car - theoretically we can get our average price/kWh closer to 11 or 12p so a big saving compared to our old British Gas or the variable tariff - but obviously it all depends on usage and if you can shift the usage. Hence why Iā€™m now looking at batter storage! :)

Iā€™ve made far too many spreadsheets and graphs over the past few months - Iā€™m just glad I was able to switch to go at the Dec 2021 rate!
Similar here, low user about the same as you.
Thankfully made it onto the Dec 21 Go. The big difference for me being the daily standing charge of 26p instead of 48p for the April standard variable tariff I would have moved to.
That 22p difference divided by the 6kWh per day usage knocks about 3.5p per kWh off the daytime tariff, which makes it lower overall than the standard variable tariff.
The overnight charging is now a bonus.

Hi all
Just got an email to say that my move to octopus go is complete šŸ˜ƒ
Just waiting for solar panels and battery pack to be installed in the next month or so
Just need to persuade the wife to go electric thenšŸ˜‚
It's not obsessive to use octopus watch, I've got the washing routine down to a fine art now! The solar panels, battery and car charger top it off, just got to get the car delivered now! We have one already so it is in use. So not just saving environment, but a lot of money too!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom