0 or under

bdeithrick

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Can somebody tell me. And I’ve searched Utube.
What does the MG ZS do at 0%. Does it stop. Or drive on for 10miles till turtle mode comes on.

I have an MG5 and as far as I know at about 3% goes into limp mode 0% is out of power

Last edited:
On my car, when you get to about 7 miles left on the range meter, it suddenly goes to "---" and you are left guessing how many miles it will go. However, in spite of getting to that point whilst about 10 miles from home, I have always made it home.
A bit scary though!

On my car, a chinese version EZS, the number of range disappears when it goes under 10 kilometers, then i can driver several kms else.

I ran out....just once.
It fires increasing warnings, stops showing mileage estimates - just "CHARGE NOW". Then it limps, then it stops. Was not fun! (midnight in barnstaple, nowhere to charge, only 12 miles home..."risk it").
Even a year later, there are more chargers available.

Once the "mileage left" goes, you should be OK for 10 miles. I have got down to 4 miles left, only seen when charging though.

Years ago, I did run out of juice with my little Citroen Zero. I was pleased to have the 12v power for lights etc, as it was on the motorway at night time. I called the RAC, who towed me home for the last two miles...

When the GOM shows -- does the range left depend on what miles per kWh you are currently getting? Could it be that 10 miles assumes a full charge of 163 miles range but if you are only getting 3 miles per kWh that full charge is really only 126 miles and the 10 miles left reduced accordingly?

Assume the 10 mile stage is the GOM most recent estimate. So it should be as good as the GOM normally is! And we don't really know that unless anyone has come to a stop...Maybe a small reserve, but don't want to find out really....

PS Charge when you can, not when you need too....as someone said here months ago..:D

With a bit of planning you should be able to avoid getting below 20-25% never mind 10%, when you let it get that low and then you find the charger you had thought of using is out of order, then you can be in trouble and soon looking for that AA number with what could be a long cold wait.
Charge before you need it I say
Les

When your phone (tablet, laptop etc) says 0%, does it continue to work? No, they shut down don't they. It's batteries, they need charge to give power.......
Unlike a phone or other battery goods... an EV will not knowingly reach 0% while driving. The system will reduce power and the vehicle will slow down so much you will be forced to stop. The vehicle will not be able to continue and you will need the 'flatbed of shame' to take you to a charger. The remaining juice in the battery is there to limit the damage to the battery.

Hope you get your MG5 soon... with the longer range hopefully you would never experience this.

Can somebody tell me. And I’ve searched Utube.
What does the MG ZS do at 0%. Does it stop. Or drive on for 10miles till turtle mode comes on.
I rented an MG in Italy. I was in the middle of a tunnel coming into Bormio leaving a rainstorm behind when my car said 0% pull over when it’s safe. I don’t know how many miles I went but I did not slow down came through the tunnel probably 10 minutes later still at 0% into a snowstorm and into Bormio all the way to the charge station in the middle of town. Still it did not slow down. What makes this possible?

For the people who encourage planning ahead, I agree. However, a couple of times my plans have come to nothing and nearly caused stoppage. Once when there was a lengthy road diversion, and the other time when I took a wrong turn and found myself on the M1 and could not get off for 20 miles. That plus the extra distance to the nearest charger had me on about 10 miles GOM.

I rented an MG in Italy. I was in the middle of a tunnel coming into Bormio leaving a rainstorm behind when my car said 0% pull over when it’s safe. I don’t know how many miles I went but I did not slow down came through the tunnel probably 10 minutes later still at 0% into a snowstorm and into Bormio all the way to the charge station in the middle of town. Still it did not slow down. What makes this possible?

Because zero isn't really zero energy.

There is a buffer at the top and bottom to protect the battery's longevity and safety.

It's up to the BMS on how long it lets you drive and at what power level at zero.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom