100% to zero (well almost) - 250 mile range test MG5 Excite LR (pre-FL - 2021)

Tommy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm going to do a real world driving range test to see if I can get anywhere near the claimed 250 miles, starting today after a full charge ... (I always use ECO + KERS 3 btw).

Start
SOC: 100%
GOM: 282 miles
-
Journey 1 (morning)
Distance: 45.9 miles
Time: 1.2 hrs
Efficiency: 4.2 miles/kWh
Temp: 14°C
SOC: 81%
GOM: 227 miles
-
Journey 2 (evening)
Distance: 46.4 miles
Time: 1.1 hrs
Efficiency: 4.6 miles/kWh
Temp: 13°C
SOC: 62%
GOM: 171 miles
-
Journey 3 (morning)
Distance: 50.2 miles
Time: 1.2 hrs
Efficiency: 4.6 miles/kWh
Temp: 13°C
SOC: 41%
GOM: 108 miles
-
Journey 4 (evening)
Distance: 46.1 miles
Time: 1.1 hrs
Efficiency: 4.7 miles/kWh
Temp: 14°C
SOC: 20%
GOM: 53 miles

Getting close to the end ...

... more to follow ...

Last edited:
Totals so far ...

142 miles done
59% Battery used
Mostly Motorway and A-Road driving

:unsure:

You should have done this when the weather was warmer, far more chance of success.
Yes, not looking too good is it, 220 might be the best I can get … :(

Total so far ...
188.6 miles done
80% Battery used
Mostly Motorway and A-Road driving

Last edited:
When I first got mine in March 2022, I regularly used eco and kers3 for all journeys, my daily commute at the time was about 12 miles each way, mostly town and city with a little bit motorway. I would usually find I'd covered 200 miles when the battery got to 20%, and it showed as having 50 miles left. Usually left the aircon on manual (not the auto setting) at 18 degrees. Nowadays I don't bother, but it showed me the figures are achievable if you turn everything down and drive gently.

When I first got mine in March 2022, I regularly used eco and kers3 for all journeys, my daily commute at the time was about 12 miles each way, mostly town and city with a little bit motorway. I would usually find I'd covered 200 miles when the battery got to 20%, and it showed as having 50 miles left. Usually left the aircon on manual (not the auto setting) at 18 degrees. Nowadays I don't bother, but it showed me the figures are achievable if you turn everything down and drive gently.
I tend to get about 2 miles per % of battery, so usually 200 miles is achievable, but in each case here (above) GOM is overestimating by about 10 miles ... with 20% battery left I expect to get another 40 miles until the electrons run out. Let's see ...

2020 MG5 SR and I'm getting anything up to 240 miles out of the battery, based on usage of 100% to about 15%, calculated on miles done plus GOM estimate of the remainer.
Wow, that's great for an SR (y) Good cars these aren't they :)

2020 MG5 SR and I'm getting anything up to 240 miles out of the battery, based on usage of 100% to about 15%, calculated on miles done plus GOM estimate of the remainer.
That agrees with what I'm getting from my 2021 standard range model on a regular 180 mile motorway/A road drive, fab cars!

Wow, that's great for an SR (y) Good cars these aren't they :)
I too have an original SR Excite. When I charge to 100% I get a GOM reading of about 218, but I regularly get actual total range of over 250 miles. Invariably if I add the distance actually driven since the charge to the GOM at any point they always creep up, which I hope shows that I am driving conservatively.

I find the best way to estimate total range is to do this... (this is from my last charge a few days ago, car currently sitting on my drive charging up again)

I last charged to 82% and have since driven 121 miles, taking the battery down to 38%, ie I have used 44%. So total range estimate is (121/44)x100 = 275 !! This is consistent with all my previous charging data and especially since April this year where my average total range per charge estimate for the whole 6 months is 260 miles. This is on a total drive of 3084 miles, including several longer mainland trips.

As Tommy says - Great Car.

I just bought a 72-plate MG5 LR and I am so impressed with it, I keep finding features on it that surprise me, even the lane keeping and speed control system on a Mway is good while also still getting 3.8M per kWh at 71mph. It's one of those cars that doesn't shout fancy or speedy on the outside but dame it's fast to pick up speed and comfey for long trips. kids are also happy with the room back there. :)

My pre facelift SR regularly does 220miles per charge
I have always managed to get home to recharge on nice cheap electric!
So far the average cost per mile has worked out at less than 1.2p per mile thanks to Solar panels and Octopus Go.

I've had my pre-facelift LR for about 4 months. I've regularly turned in consumption of over 4.5 mi/kWh, with it being the warm season. Yesterday I did a 160 mile round trip, from Mid Wales to Port Talbot, in less than ideal conditions; heavy rain and flooded roads. I started out with about 20 miles of range in hand but that dwindled rapidly on the home straight. By home straight I mean a mountain road, which whilst picturesque isn't conducive to eking out the electrons. I squeaked home with 2% left in the battery. Happily my electricity price was negative when I got home, so I got paid for the first bit of the top up. More cheap/paid to use electricity overnight and more from now until 4pm, when it should be back to around 80% SOC.

Has anyone else noticed it stops estimating the range below 10 miles? I guess it is to frighten you into looking for a public charger. I've still got an unblemished home charging record but I suppose I ought to have a practice on a public charger, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my pre-facelift LR for about 4 months. I've regularly turned in consumption of over 4.5m/kWh, with it being the warm season. Yesterday I did a 160 mile round trip, from Mid Wales to Port Talbot, in less than ideal conditions; heavy rain and flooded roads. I started out with about 20 miles of range in hand but that dwindled rapidly on the home straight. By home straight I mean a mountain road, which whilst picturesque isn't conducive to eking out the electrons. I squeaked home with 2% left in the battery. Happily my electricity price was negative when I got home, so I got paid for the first bit of the top up. More cheap/paid to use electricity overnight and more from now until 4pm, when it should be back to around 80% SOC.

Has anyone else noticed it stops estimating the range below 10 miles? I guess it is to frighten you into looking for a public charger. I've still got an unblemished home charging record but I suppose I ought to have a practice on a public charger, just in case.

Your home charging sounds fantastic, I must look again at the variable Octopus tarriffs, I agree on the testing a rapid charge just to be ready. I highly recommend a Electroverse free account, app and RFID card they send you, They have produced a app that is rivalling Zap Map I recon and you get discounts. Try them out here

Hey, use my link to sign up to Octopus Electroverse & we both get charging credit!

I've already got an Electroverse card, thanks.

Got the battery to 100% on the overnight almost free leccy. It had finished before it got the the paid-to-use slot at 05:30 but I daresay I'll recover from the financial blow!

Temperature hovering just above freezing, earlier, so a chance to give the air-con/demisting a workout before I go to the supermarket to take the froth off the top of the battery. It will be interesting to see what range penalty the low temperature inflicts. I usually get nearly 6 mi/kWh going in to town, as I'm at 180 metres and Morrisons is almost at sea level. I struggle to get my usual 4.5 mi/kWh on the way back but I blame the weight of the shopping!

I've already got an Electroverse card, thanks.

Got the battery to 100% on the overnight almost free leccy. It had finished before it got the the paid-to-use slot at 05:30 but I daresay I'll recover from the financial blow!

Temperature hovering just above freezing, earlier, so a chance to give the air-con/demisting a workout before I go to the supermarket to take the froth off the top of the battery. It will be interesting to see what range penalty the low temperature inflicts. I usually get nearly 6m/kWh going in to town, as I'm at 180 metres and Morrisons is almost at sea level. I struggle to get my usual 4.5m/kWh on the way back but I blame the weight of the shopping!
Temperatures close to freezing here too . I normally get close to 6 mi/kWh running my wife to work ( 12 miles) which then drops to High 4s to 5 mi/kWh on my return home with less weight in the car. It's probably because it's more uphill on the way back . This morning it averaged at 3.8 mi/kWh so winter is the enemy.

I normally drive in Eco Kers3, and get the full advertised range of 240+ miles. Today I thought I'd see what mi/kWh I could get in Sport Kers3. I did a circular run of nearly 60 miles, mostly on mountain roads. I mostly ambled along, as I usually do when on a joy-ride, to enjoy the scenery. However, the light started to fade a little sooner than I anticipated, so I did about 10 miles enthusiastically.

The temperature was 9 degrees, when I set out, but dropped as low as 3 degrees at one point, so probably averaged at about 6 degrees. I was pleased to get home showing 3.9 mi/kWh, against my usual 4.5 mi/kWh. I was expecting a lot lower, so I reckon even in Sport I should get over 4 mi/kWh in warmer conditions.

I enjoyed the slight tightening up of steering and suspension that Sport brings. The more I drive the MG5, the more chuffed I become!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom