1000 miles in...

Knuttt

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone, long time lurker! :p

So picked up my MG5 Long Range on 1st September - go #teamRed - and this week just ticked over 1000 miles.

From new I noticed a slight knocking noise coming from the back to the car and after removing everything from the boot area etc and searching for anything hanging down, I finally took it into my local dealer (I had to buy if from further away) as they were going to do the KERS update anyway.

So after a bit of backwards are forwards they came out and said I needed two new rear shocks! o_Oo_Oo_O

More than a little surprised but everything covered with warranty so I'm booked if for later this month when the parts arrive...

Obviously they forgot todo the KERS update so that will be done then too.

Andy

So picked up my MG5 Long Range on 1st September - go #teamRed - and this week just ticked over 1000 miles.

From new I noticed a slight knocking noise coming from the back to the car and after removing everything from the boot area etc and searching for anything hanging down, I finally took it into my local dealer (I had to buy if from further away) as they were going to do the KERS update anyway.

So after a bit of backwards are forwards they came out and said I needed two new rear shocks! o_Oo_Oo_O

More than a little surprised but everything covered with warranty so I'm booked if for later this month when the parts arrive...

Andy
Hmm
I got mine on 24 September
I noticed a couple of weeks ago a noise from the rear
I thought it was my dog guard
But I took it out and the noise was still there
Mine is booked in on the 2/12 for kers update so I will ask them to have a look at the rear shocks
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It was a fairly random knocking noise, not consistent with going over speed bumps etc. I even wondered if it might be a loose cable hanging down somewhere.
Good luck.

My 5 is booked in for the update and a major banging noise when first driven, worse in cold. Local garage could see nothing wrong visibly but suggested faulty shock on one side. After driving for a mile or so depending on temp it mostly goes away. Leave the car stationary for an hour and it starts again until it has done a mile or so again. Waiting until the 10th Dec as this was the first appointment, then will no doubt have to wait for parts as well

My 5 is booked in for the update and a major banging noise when first driven, worse in cold. Local garage could see nothing wrong visibly but suggested faulty shock on one side. After driving for a mile or so depending on temp it mostly goes away. Leave the car stationary for an hour and it starts again until it has done a mile or so again. Waiting until the 10th Dec as this was the first appointment, then will no doubt have to wait for parts as well
Hiya, just taken delivery of a 1 year old Mg5 and it has exactly the same issue. Dealer I purchased it from is 200 miles away, did you take yours to the Southampton MG for repair? How did you get on? Cheers

Hiya, just taken delivery of a 1 year old Mg5 and it has exactly the same issue. Dealer I purchased it from is 200 miles away, did you take yours to the Southampton MG for repair? How did you get on? Cheers
Hi,

I had booked with the Portsmouth branch of the same dealer but ended up in hospital and missed my appointment so I need to rebook it now. I have heard some good and bad about the local dealer so I will be
keeping fingers crossed. Mine came from over 200 miles away as well!

Hi,

I had booked with the Portsmouth branch of the same dealer but ended up in hospital and missed my appointment so I need to rebook it now. I have heard some good and bad about the local dealer so I will be
Many thanks. Please keep me posted how you get on 👍

Hi,

Any reason you don’t use the Southampton MG centre?

Andy
Hi Andy, did they sort the issue? I’ve have the same problem with mine and am wondering how long they will take to get the parts etc.? Cheers

Hi all my knocking turned out to be in the gear box
Noise was coming from rear ,took over a month before I got the car back do to parts not being available.

Hi all my knocking turned out to be in the gear box
Noise was coming from rear ,took over a month before I got the car back do to parts not being available.
The gearbox (transaxle) is at the front ? 🤔

Many thanks. Please keep me posted how you get on 👍
Hi, car went in today and had software update for Kers, no problem there all done. They also diagnosed the faulty rear shock and that is due to be replaced when the parts arrive. They said 1-3 days which is encouraging so I delayed the work being completed until next month so it can be done at first service which they were quite happy to do.

Hi Andy, did they sort the issue? I’ve have the same problem with mine and am wondering how long they will take to get the parts etc.? Cheers
Update to my shock absorbers issue, parts have been in order since 7th Jan. Doesn’t bode well if a critical part is required and the car is off the road. Curious to know if any others have had issues with parts supply?

2 months to not get shocks is, excuse the pun, shocking. Can you keep us updated please?

My car had its first service yesterday but they were unable to change the rear shock as the parts were still not available and they had no eta. It does concern me a little as currently it is still drivable but could very easily be disabled by another small part.

My brother has an independent service garage and they are having a hard time finding all the parts they need at times across many makes.

The big issue with MG EV is no or little aftermarket parts seem to exist which is most likely as they have not been around long in the UK I guess.

My car had its first service yesterday but they were unable to change the rear shock as the parts were still not available and they had no eta. It does concern me a little as currently it is still drivable but could very easily be disabled by another small part.

My brother has an independent service garage and they are having a hard time finding all the parts they need at times across many makes.

The big issue with MG EV is no or little aftermarket parts seem to exist which is most likely as they have not been around long in the UK I guess.
How much was the first service out of interest?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom