100kwh charge rate on long range model

peter

Standard Member
Reaction score
The quoted 0-80% charge time is 50mins at 50kwh.
I would expect therefore 25mins on a 100kwh charger. However it quotes 40mins in a 100kwh charger.
The long range model is suppose to support 100kwh charging so not clear why the figures don't match?

The quoted 0-80% charge time is 50mins at 50kwh.
I would expect therefore 25mins on a 100kwh charger. However it quotes 40mins in a 100kwh charger.
The long range model is suppose to support 100kwh charging so not clear why the figures don't match?
The MG5 (Standard & Long) only supports 80kWh, so using a 100kWh charger allows this at full speed whereas a 50kWh doesn't.

Also, the max DC charging rate of the '5 is 80Kw, so the charger is never going to deliver faster than that regardless of it's max rating.
Plus - the rate for the charger/ car (whichever is lower) is the PEAK rate. It'll only do that at the optimum condition (i.e. state of charge and battery temperature) and won't be at that for most of the charge. If you're at a part of the charge cycle that the conditions dictate the battery should be charging at less than 50Kw, then the rate will be the same regardless of the peak charger rate being 50 or 100.

Coupling those two together, you only get the benefit of the extra 30Kw for a portion of the charge, hence it only really making 10 mins difference.

Glad there are people around to explain things properly. I just mash some words together and hope for the best

Also - I know it may be a slip of the keyboard, but it's worth understanding (and being pedantic about) the difference between kW and kWh especially as the charger is charging at 50kW, but probably delivering about 50kWh of charge to get a 5LR from 0-80%ish, the numbers are close enough to be confusing.

Sure, some people say 'yeah, but it's roughly the same' but to put that into context, if I got that wrong with MpH and said 'I find that when I have done 75 Miles it really hits the battery' but I actually meant '75MpH' - clearly it's quite different, and 'could' cause confusion. (although in your case it was still pretty clear what you meant.) A few people will pipe up and correct you on here, but that's generally because it makes it easier for them to help you rather than them just being an a$$hat, (in fact, other than a plethora of 10mm spanners there seems to be a distinct lack of tools on this little corner of the internet. Makes a quite pleasant change)

Just remember that kW works the opposite way round to miles. In simple (and technically not entirely correct but close enough to understand) terms:

kW is the speed at which the power is moving (be it from charger to battery, or battery to motor). - so the 'speed in Miles per Hour' equivalent.

kWh is the amount of power that was delivered during your charge (or used during your drive).- so the ''distance in Miles' equivalent.

So, if you travel at 10 mph for an hour, you'll travel 10 miles. If you charge at 10kW for an hour, you'll put 10kWh into the battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom