12 volt cooler

sparrow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All has any one used a cooler/heat in the MG5 LR?, thinking of getting one but worried about drain on 12 volt system.

There is no drain as the hi voltage system tops up the battery. I use one when I go away with no issues.

/edit, at any time I can have, satnav, hud, dashcam, 2 phones on charge, an inverter charging my laptop, all running at once and never had a problem.

The manual says the maximum output of the 12v socket is 120W (10A) most of the 12v heaters I've seen are 150W.
But having said that the fuse for the socket is 15A (180W) so theoretically it should be able to run a 150W one ok.

I read that as a 12v cool box type thing which I have but only used for a short period.

I read that as a 12v cool box type thing which I have but only used for a short period.
I thought he meant a fan.
I've never used a cooler box, do they heat as well ?

Hi All has any one used a cooler/heat in the MG5 LR?, thinking of getting one but worried about drain on 12 volt system.
We use one in the boot. Problem from our previous car is no spare 12v socket. Had to buy extension plugged to the front. The fridge switches off when you stop the car. Not good on a hot weekend out. Our solution was to buy a £1 bag of ice each second day to keep stock extra cool. MG5 is geared up for USB, all over the place. Now I need a double socket at front for the dash cam.

There is no drain as the hi voltage system tops up the battery. I use one when I go away with no issues.

/edit, at any time I can have, satnav, hud, dashcam, 2 phones on charge, an inverter charging my laptop, all running at once and never had a problem.
Hi, does the hv system keep the 12v battery topped up even when the car is switched off ?
Was thinking for a dashcam in parking mode so it works OK without a drain on the 12v battery.

Hi, does the hv system keep the 12v battery topped up even when the car is switched off ?
Was thinking for a dashcam in parking mode so it works OK without a drain on the 12v battery.
I don't know, sorry. My car cuts the power to cams etc a few seconds after I switch off.

If you need long term power for a fridge or the like and can't get the car to supply it when it's switched off you might consider buying a decent capacity leisure battery as a less convenient way of doing it. More weight and lost space but......

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom