12v - 240v Inverter?

bennyboi

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,
New owner here,

does anyone know if i can connect a 240V invertor to the 12v battery. as i like want to use it for when out and about for powering laptops and other small 240v devices.

Many thanks.

Hi,
New owner here,

does anyone know if i can connect a 240V invertor to the 12v battery. as i like want to use it for when out and about for powering laptops and other small 240v devices.

Many thanks.
Hi bennyboi and welcome to the forum,
I can’t answer your question but I cannot see why you couldn’t do what you asked about with a small low powered inverter perhaps via the auxiliary socket.

But just a word of warning if the 12volt battery gets low you may not be able to start the car as it appears, it is the 12v battery that wakes the systems in the car up to get the car going off the main drive battery

I have seen several reports on these forums where people unknowingly have been sat waiting for only a short while with radios and heaters going and have run the 12v battery down and had then not been able to start or drive the vehicle some say if you are sitting waiting with things switched on to keep the car switched fully on in the ready mode also as the 12v battery recharges from the main drive battery if you do this

So as I said this is just a warning for you, maybe have a chat with your dealer or look or search the forums about flat battery or unable to start the car hope this helps
Les

Hi,
New owner here,

Many thanks.
What devices do you want to use? Not many will actually run off 240v they all use transformers. Have I understood your post? you want to get 240v from a 12v battery? Inverters covert AC/DC current.

71b34oBLwJL._AC_SX480_SY360_.jpg

A Real Powerful Inverter: BESTEK inverter provides 300 watts continuous DC to AC power with UK AC outlet and 2 USB charging ports.

Hi bennyboi and welcome to the forum,
I can’t answer your question but I cannot see why you couldn’t do what you asked about with a small low powered inverter perhaps via the auxiliary socket.

But just a word of warning if the 12volt battery gets low you may not be able to start the car as it appears, it is the 12v battery that wakes the systems in the car up to get the car going off the main drive battery

I have seen several reports on these forums where people unknowingly have been sat waiting for only a short while with radios and heaters going and have run the 12v battery down and had then not been able to start or drive the vehicle some say if you are sitting waiting with things switched on to keep the car switched fully on in the ready mode also as the 12v battery recharges from the main drive battery if you do this

So as I said this is just a warning for you, maybe have a chat with your dealer or look or search the forums about flat battery or unable to start the car hope this helps
Les
thanks.

i would keep it in ready mode anyway. i will have a look and email the dealer :) cheers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom