12v battery

Oldmanofthenorth

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, new owner 3 days strong.
Just charge using granny charger, after balance charge finished the 12v battery is showing 12 is this normal. Thanks

Should probably be a little bit higher than that. Pretty sure the 12v system only charges whilst the car is running, but someone more knowledgeable on the subject than me won't be far away.

If you switch your car on into ready mode (ready to drive) the high voltage battery is now engaged. After a short while you should show about 14v on the low voltage battery. If you try this with the high voltage off it will read lower depending on what you have turned on - 12v is not uncommon. I hope this helps. Enjoy your car.

If you switch your car on into ready mode (ready to drive) the high voltage battery is now engaged. After a short while you should show about 14v on the low voltage battery. If you try this with the high voltage off it will read lower depending on what you have turned on - 12v is not uncommon. I hope this helps. Enjoy your car.
Thanks

Miy 12V battery went dead on the first day, it was recording 11V on the dash... I called AA and plugged it into the granny charger. By the time AA came it was fine. He measure the current at 13.3A .. and my dash shows about 13.

I have read that the 12V battery gets recharged while recharging with the granny, is that correct? It may explain what happened above.

Miy 12V battery went dead on the first day, it was recording 11V on the dash... I called AA and plugged it into the granny charger. By the time AA came it was fine. He measure the current at 13.3A .. and my dash shows about 13.

I have read that the 12V battery gets recharged while recharging with the granny, is that correct? It may explain what happened above.
I really don’t know why MG has included a 12v gauge on the dash. Most people just want to know how much high voltage battery is left. They’re not interested in how the HV charges the LV as long as it works. It’s just something else to worry about unnecessarily. The HV battery keeps the LV battery topped up. Was your car unable to start to ready state? If you use accessories without being in ready state it will drain the low voltage battery eventually, until the HV is switched on. Another area where MG could have made things a little less complicated - just push the button and engage HV battery - or do away with the button completely. Key in car - foot on brake - ready to go.

Yes it does get feed power whilst charging

I have read that the battery charges to 13.6v while slow charging the HV battery
It should be 14.2 while running, 12.6v switched off if the 12v battery is 100% charged.
I have plugged a volt meter into the cigar lighter socket to keep an eye on it after getting the HV disconnect message, Suspected low 12v but now not sure, tried short brake push, light, heavy cant get it to show the error again.

Hi Oldmanofthenorth, There has been quite a lot of previous threads mentioning 12v battery concerns. As a man from slightly further north than yourself I have had issues with batteries in previous ICE cars. Freezing weather and cold starting being very hard on battery life.
Due to shorter journeys and consequently less HV battery charges I decided to also trickle charge the 12v battery. The battery charged for a full 8 hours (albeit at low current) before the smart charger switched to maintenance mode.
I intend to continue an occasional trickle charge to the 12v battery until longer journeys and more regular HV charges can resume, after travel restrictions are lifted.
I suspect the poor old lead acid battery could become neglected due to our attention being diverted to its high tech brother.
I suspect the main battery is better able to cope with possible low charge state -from leaving factory, to transport and storage time before coming to ourselves.
Anyway regards and enjoy from old man from further north.
PS my wife wants to know where you got my photograph to use as your profile.

Hi Oldmanofthenorth, There has been quite a lot of previous threads mentioning 12v battery concerns. As a man from slightly further north than yourself I have had issues with batteries in previous ICE cars. Freezing weather and cold starting being very hard on battery life.
Due to shorter journeys and consequently less HV battery charges I decided to also trickle charge the 12v battery. The battery charged for a full 8 hours (albeit at low current) before the smart charger switched to maintenance mode.
I intend to continue an occasional trickle charge to the 12v battery until longer journeys and more regular HV charges can resume, after travel restrictions are lifted.
I suspect the poor old lead acid battery could become neglected due to our attention being diverted to its high tech brother.
I suspect the main battery is better able to cope with possible low charge state -from leaving factory, to transport and storage time before coming to ourselves.
Anyway regards and enjoy from old man from further north.
PS my wife wants to know where you got my photograph to use as your profile.
Hi Iain,

I also live in Scotland and I am aware of the problems that one has when the 12v battery is not at a full charge. My daily mileage before and after lockdown was always under 20 miles and sometimes even less.

Now unlike many EV Owners I NEVER have a charging regime as I don't see the need. The BMS looks after the HV Batteries health and you can NEVER overcharge the battery (even though the car shows 100% ,it's not, but as far as the user is concerned it is). The BMS will also shut down the car before the battery reaches a dangerously low level.

The BMS will also decide if the car's HV requires an equalizing charge and will instigate that during normal overnight charging, another thing NOT to worry about.

If one is lucky enough to have off road parking and a Home Charger (and I would NEVER expect anyone to have an EV unless they had, as I would find it too inconvenient and expensive to being forced to use public charging at least not whilst the infrastructure is still poor) then just plug it in EVERY time you have finished with the car no matter what the SOC is.

I always do this and I have NEVER had a problem with the 12v battery, besides it is easier plugging in the main charger than mucking around opening bonnets and connecting battery chargers to the 12v battery.

If you do worry about the battery health then DO NOT UNLESS YOU HAVE TO use Rapid Chargers as it is these that cause more damage to EV batteries. This is a bit of a problem if you regularly drive past or close to the cars range but even then the BMS controls the charging and throttles the charger if it thinks the battery needs protecting.

As a last resort one has the warranty to call on, in fact I would be as happy as a pig in mud if my battery pack was changed at say for example 40000 miles. FYI it takes about 45 mins to an hour to change an EV Battery pack. Also nowadays due to PCP,/PCH purchases the car will be long gone before any battery problems materialize.

Any way, just my feelings, I like my driving to be as hassle free as possible, all the best.

Frank

Hi Iain,

I also live in Scotland and I am aware of the problems that one has when the 12v battery is not at a full charge. My daily mileage before and after lockdown was always under 20 miles and sometimes even less.

Now unlike many EV Owners I NEVER have a charging regime as I don't see the need. The BMS looks after the HV Batteries health and you can NEVER overcharge the battery (even though the car shows 100% ,it's not, but as far as the user is concerned it is). The BMS will also shut down the car before the battery reaches a dangerously low level.

The BMS will also decide if the car's HV requires an equalizing charge and will instigate that during normal overnight charging, another thing NOT to worry about.

If one is lucky enough to have off road parking and a Home Charger (and I would NEVER expect anyone to have an EV unless they had, as I would find it too inconvenient and expensive to being forced to use public charging at least not whilst the infrastructure is still poor) then just plug it in EVERY time you have finished with the car no matter what the SOC is.

I always do this and I have NEVER had a problem with the 12v battery, besides it is easier plugging in the main charger than mucking around opening bonnets and connecting battery chargers to the 12v battery.

If you do worry about the battery health then DO NOT UNLESS YOU HAVE TO use Rapid Chargers as it is these that cause more damage to EV batteries. This is a bit of a problem if you regularly drive past or close to the cars range but even then the BMS controls the charging and throttles the charger if it thinks the battery needs protecting.

As a last resort one has the warranty to call on, in fact I would be as happy as a pig in mud if my battery pack was changed at say for example 40000 miles. FYI it takes about 45 mins to an hour to change an EV Battery pack. Also nowadays due to PCP,/PCH purchases the car will be long gone before any battery problems materialize.

Any way, just my feelings, I like my driving to be as hassle free as possible, all the best.

Frank
I’m with you on this Frank, but did have to get the faulty BMS Oct update corrected at the garage this week due to a faulty algorithm restricting maximum charge range. I’ve gone from only 118 up to 151 miles shown on full charge after this weeks software update fix.

But also had a 12 volt charge issue as well. I got home after upgrade to find warning as attached showing under voltage on 12v battery. After returning to garage MG tech support got the garage technician to unplug battery for 20 mins to reset, suggesting the high voltage battery DC to DC charge connection to low voltage battery was interrupted
636B9439-D32F-4CF6-A003-1552A6D5D2F1.jpeg

Hi Frank,

You make very fair and valid points and obviously whatever charging regime suits is fine. I would certainly agree that your routine should ensure both batteries are well charged.

I am hopeful my different charging routine will prolong life of both batteries.

Thanks for responding and regards,

Iain

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom