12V power

zsevire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
How much power in watts could I get from an inverter plugged into the 12V cigarette lighter, and also from using the clamps on the 12V connectors under the hood?

I've tried to find info but I've come up with nothing.

How much power in watts could I get from an inverter plugged into the 12V cigarette lighter, and also from using the clamps on the 12V connectors under the hood?

I've tried to find info but I've come up with nothing.
You have posted on the MG5 forum but I would guess same on the ZS

From page 63 of the 5 LR manual....

1666600863086.png

The dc dc converter that tops up the 12v battery runs through a 150amp fuse so I guesstimate ~2kw from the battery terminals.

Never take the actual fuse rating as its power capability, there will be headroom for age deterioration if nothing else. A proper spec label is the preferred method.

An alternative guide would be the rating for the next fuse capacity smaller which if a ANL fuse would be 120A. If you then take the assumption that this fuse is not man enough for longer term use then that is more likely to give the absolute max rating at 1.4KW, less than 75% of the suggested 2KW

The logic being that if it was only rated at 1KW then they should be using a smaller fuse. ON domestic electrics I have never been happy about the demise of the 10A fuse, 5A to 13A is too big a step.

Never take the actual fuse rating as its power capability, there will be headroom for age deterioration if nothing else. A proper spec label is the preferred method.

An alternative guide would be the rating for the next fuse capacity smaller which if a ANL fuse would be 120A. If you then take the assumption that this fuse is not man enough for longer term use then that is more likely to give the absolute max rating at 1.4KW, less than 75% of the suggested 2KW

The logic being that if it was only rated at 1KW then they should be using a smaller fuse. ON domestic electrics I have never been happy about the demise of the 10A fuse, 5A to 13A is too big a step.
The dc dc inverter is rated for 162 amps at 14v.

That is very big output compared to a standard alternator. Why? Are the 12volt loads from the car’s systems bigger than on an ICE vehicle?

That is very big output compared to a standard alternator. Why? Are the 12volt loads from the car’s systems bigger than on an ICE vehicle?
My guess is that it was put in ready for V2L since the face-lift has a 2.2kw V2L.

My guess is that it was put in ready for V2L since the face-lift has a 2.2kw V2L.
But that V2L should not pass through the 12 volt battery. That should come straight from the onboard charger/inverter. Because you go from DC to AC.

Good to know that we can get 120 watts from the 12v socket inside.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom