I'm pretty sure when it is charging, the power isn't the -Amps X the shown current battery voltage, as when you charge lithium batteries you put in a higher/the charging voltage, so it should be putting like 4.25v or more into each battery cell, so (4.25x108) 459V, which at -16A will be 7.344kW.
When you're discharging, then the amps X the battery voltage would be the kW power being drawn.

I can't think of a reason why you're now getting different rates of charge. I mean part of what they've changed could have an affect on it I guess but it's not something that anyone else has mentioned. Weird :unsure:

I don't know... P = I x V, and we can't change physics! Unless what is shown in the cars screen (voltage and current) isn't what the battery is actually receiving but is based on some other calculation (or knowing MG, just a guess).
It still doesn't get round the situation where my house is puting out 7kW to the car, but the car display and the charger app shows approx 6.2kW, when prior to the BMS update, it always showed 7kW.
Is it possible that the resistance in the battery/electrics has been increased with the update?
(I'm not an electrician/physicist but I do know that something strange is happening!)
If it's definitely changed then it must be the updates that have done it.
Obviously the software on the car (EVCC/BMS) decides how much current it wants to put into the battery, but you're seeing a loss which would seem to mean it's just somehow losing it - but it's hardware really that does the AC/DC conversion where I believe the losses mainly and that won't have changed. It's very weird.

Reading what you said again, it's your wall charger that's reporting a lower power than it did before (vs what your elec meter shows)? If so, actually that's nothing to do with what the car is doing with the power it's receiving (how much losses is occurring).
There's no communication/data going on between the charger and with the car, so car updates can't really affect it, the charger is just reporting what AC power it has given to the car. Therefore it would have to be something in the charger that has caused it to report different figures??

I'm sure when you charge a lithium (or any) battery, you give it a higher voltage than what it is currently at. That's why I presume that the displayed Amps, which is based on what's actually being put into the battery, would be multiplied by the higher voltage that is actually being used to get the power being used.
I'm not sure how you can read the real voltage of a battery whilst it is being charged, maybe the charger cuts off for a few milliseconds every so often so it can get a read of the batteries actual voltage. Needs further investigating to find out :)
[Read a bit more now, looks like the voltage (and current) used to charge a lithium battery is dependant on what type/stage of the charge it's doing or something, can't find a straight answer]

Last edited:
Is this due to the colder weather and the battery being colder, will the rate of input increase with warmer temperatures....I guess we will need to wait and see.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom