1st Service and Swapping wheels front to back

Jonhklee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
can’t believe what I just got quoted:

£111 for 1st service for 1hr

£111 for reprogramming valve sensor after swapping front wheels to back.

That’s just not right - anyone can advise on the wheel sensors? Apparently they need programming after wheels swaps!

Last edited:
Wheel swapping is a bit overrated IMO. In my experience it increases road noise due to the difference in wear characteristics of the fronts and rears, more noticeably in EVs and hybrids.
The other thing is when your tyres wear down, you have to replace all four at once, a bigger expense than two at a time.

Wheel swapping is a bit overrated IMO. In my experience it increases road noise due to the difference in wear characteristics of the fronts and rears, more noticeably in EVs and hybrids.
The other thing is when your tyres wear down, you have to replace all four at once, a bigger expense than two at a time.
It's a safety thing. Most drivers would be far better understeering than oversteering so newer tyres on the back is the recommended practice.

Hi funny one this never ever heard of this issue until I got my MG5, on my Skoda’s Octavia and Superb, never had any of this there was a button to press to reset the tyre pressure monitor and as soon as the car had been moving for about 100 or so yards the display reset itself not sure how something to do with the ABS systems I think.
So don’t know what would happen if you changed the wheels from front to back on the MG I think I’m right in thinking if the display was showing N/S/F was low then that would mean it the N/S/R in fact if you had swop the front to the back have I got that right?.
Anyhow all that a side I never look at the tyre display in my car much I’m a bit old school and go round regularly with my tire pressure gauge and check them when cold and adjust as needed and have once increased the pressure by 4/5 psi when I did a 200 mile trip with a heavy load on board and then reduced them to the correct pressure after.
Well for me when the time comes only 7500 miles so far I will probably swop mine front to back and run them for a while longer and then replace the four the reason for this being the tyres fitted to car from new or Bridgestones can’t remember the type Eco something or other but I have seen several threads on this forum and others, where people have not been able to find replacement tyres of the same make and type so I will wear the lot down some what and get some others mybe continentals tyres or Michelin perhaps I don’t like odd tyres but thats me.
Funny thing is around 3 days in to my ownership I had a puncture first in years but I don’t remember anything coming up in the display to tell me, where as in my Skoda if a tyre got low it told you and a flashing light came on as well.
No not impressed with this idea of having to get the dealer to reset the system and in my experience of dealers with my brake squealing problem each time you requested something done it was always a weeks wait at the very least to get the car in think I can live without this idea.
Les.

Last edited:
Was MG da treibt ist lächerlich. Habe bei meinen 4 neue Winter Kompletträder. Seit 4 Wochen versucht mein Händler sie senoren zu programmieren. Ohne Erfolg. Morgen werden die Sensoren getauscht. Mal schauen ob es dann funktioniert.

Was MG da treibt ist lächerlich. Habe bei meinen 4 neue Winter Kompletträder. Seit 4 Wochen versucht mein Händler sie senoren zu programmieren. Ohne Erfolg. Morgen werden die Sensoren getauscht. Mal schauen ob es dann funktioniert.
Kann es sein, dass der Händler nicht weiß was er tut? :)

It's a safety thing. Most drivers would be far better understeering than oversteering so newer tyres on the back is the recommended practice.
True and I agree, but it depends if you drive your car to the limits, I don't ;)

I wouldn't do the front/rear swap as a service item but I do always put new tyres on the rear.
As far as the programming goes, I'd just leave it as it is.
Let the electronics tell you a tyre is low by all means but the Mk1 eyeball will tell you which one it is.

I had an argument with a tyre man over swapping good rear tyres with the front which were 75% worn.
The car was already sold to a dealer but the new replacement was delayed so I did not want to spend money on new tyres.
He wouldn't do it stating the under/oversteer issue if the front tyres were better than the rears.
My case was surely better grip was needed at the front if the car was front wheel drive - the rear tyres had hardly any wear in 35k so in my simplistic opinion their only purpose was keeping the back off the ground 😀.
Another tyre dealer swapped them no problem.

I had an argument with a tyre man over swapping good rear tyres with the front which were 75% worn.
The car was already sold to a dealer but the new replacement was delayed so I did not want to spend money on new tyres.
He wouldn't do it stating the under/oversteer issue if the front tyres were better than the rears.
My case was surely better grip was needed at the front if the car was front wheel drive - the rear tyres had hardly any wear in 35k so in my simplistic opinion their only purpose was keeping the back off the ground 😀.
Another tyre dealer swapped them no problem.
Their only functions are to keep the back off the ground, and keep it going in the right direction. Surely you just keep the fronts on until the wear totally, then move the rears to the front so as to wear those out before they perish and put the new ones on the back. Rinse and repeat. You don't spend more on tyres and you keep the safest grip balance. Nothing lost at all.

This is what I thought for a long time; it is logical, surely? Then I did this on a Renault Clio and a Kia Ceed, and both times managed to spin them on slightly damp roads. Perverse though it might seem, it is important to have plenty of grip on the rears.

Interestingly, the new long range ZS manual recommends swapping and says the TPMS will reconfigure the position of the sensors after driving over 25 mph for 10 minutes.

Interestingly, the new long range ZS manual recommends swapping and says the TPMS will reconfigure the position of the sensors after driving over 25 mph for 10 minutes.
Nice one Kithmo that’s very interesting and exactly has I said what use to happen in my VAG cars above #6 they reset themselves after a short distance and it would also make sense can you imagine the que at MG dealers to have the TPMS reset once we all get a few miles on and have to renew the tyres.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom