2 long journeys coming up. ABRP vs real world performance.

Gadget Geek

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I've got my first long trip this coming Tuesday and I thought I would first share my plan using ABRP and then post the real world experience afterwards.

Set off from Weston super Mare up the M5 motorway with 100% charge.

1 hour 19 mins later, arrive at 50kW Pod-Point charger at Lidl, Droitwich Road, Worcester with 51%. (I've got back up chargers if that one is busy but they are more expensive). 30 mins 51% to 80%.

34 minutes later, arrive at first destination in Netherton, Dudley with 68% charge.

7 mins to next destination, Dudley town centre for a bit of nostalgia. 67% charge. (Dudley town centre is a bit of a charging desert, hence the stop at Worcester).

17 mins to third destination, Willenhall. 64% charge with possibility of a bit of granny charge, but haven't accounted for it.

25 mins to fourth destination, Navigation Street car park, Birmingham and a 7kW Pod-Point charger for 2.5 hours while we visit the Christmas Market. 56% to 82% hopefully.

Finally, journey home, 1 hour 38 mins. Arrive with 21% charge.

To be continued . . . . :)

The cold does tend to do that! :ROFLMAO:
ooh matron.jpg

So, I completed the first long trip yesterday and the car performed flawlessly . . . which is more than can be said for the chargers in Birmingham, but I'll get to that later.

Outside temp = 0 to -2 Celcius. Cabin temp = 22 Celcius, fan speed 4. Mostly in ECO, but used normal on occasions to boost the HVAC.

MG Pilot set at 65mph (GPS 63mph)

Set off from Weston super Mare up the M5 motorway with 100% charge showing a predicted 232 miles.

ABRP - 1 hour 19 mins, 81 miles with 51%.
Actual - 1 hour 25 mins,84 miles with 62%.

At this point I'm ahead of the curve for % charge due to 50mph speed restictionat Worcester.

20221213_113630.jpg

We popped into Lidl and got some snacks and used the rest room, and when I got back to the car there was a DPD delivery van waiting to charge. I was going to charge to 80%, but seeing as how I arrived with 11% more than I expected, I stopped at 75%, wished the delivery driver a safe journey and a happy Christmas, and after the 25 mins stop we were on to the next leg of the journey. (As I had 5% less charge I will but the adjusted actual figures in brackets).

First destination, Netherton, Dudley.
ABRP - 35 mins, 23 miles with 68%.
Actual - 43 mins, 29.1 miles with 61% (66%).

Second destination, Dudley town centre and a bit of nostalgia and lunch.
ABRP - 5 mins, 1.9 miles with 67%.
Actual - 6 mins, 1.8 miles with 60% (65%).

Third destination, Willenhall.
ABRP - 18 mins, 8.5 miles with 64%.
Actual - 30 mins, 7.8 miles with 56% (61%).
No granny charging..

Fourth destination, Navigation Street car park, Birmingham.
ABRP - 30 mins,15 miles with 56%.
Actual - (Phone didn't record this bit but we arrived with 47% (52%).
We pulled into the car park and there were three empty charging bays. Result . . . or so I thought. This is when it went a bit "off piste" so to speak. The chargers weren't Pod-Point as I thought, they were ESB Energy, although Zap-Map said they were PAYG. So I plugged in and on the screen the debit card icons had a red cross through them. They would only accept ESB RFID cards. Apparently you can download the ESB app, but I thought fudge it, I'm going to enjoy the Christmas market in Victoria Square, and enjoy it we did. :)

20221213_183622.jpg

20221213_180720.jpg

20221213_181345.jpg

Finally, the journey home.
ABRP - 1 hour 38 mins, 102 miles with 21% (presuming a charge to 81% which we didn't get).
Actual - 54 mins, 32.5 miles to Lidl at Worcester with 36% This charger was in use, so we back tracked to an Osprey charger at Blackpole Inn and charged to 55% while we had a rest break and some refreshments before setting off for home 30 mins later.

Last leg,
1 hour 20 mins. 80.2 miles. Arrived with 18% charge.

I didn't pay much attention to the GOM, as I tend to drive by % charge remaining. However, at the start it estimated 232 miles. When we got to Lidl it said 140 miles, which would have been 92 miles travelled and we actually did 84 miles, so it wasn't too far off the mark. On the way back I saw what the distance was on Google maps, and what the predicted range was and it said we would get back with about 30 miles left and I think it was 28, so agian not a bad guess.

My next long trip is on Sunday when I take my daughter to Heathrow to catch a flight to Japan.

Set off from Weston super Mare with 100% charge, up the M5 motorway and onto the M4.

1 hour 54 mins later, arrive at Hounslow West Underground Station car park with 22%. (Free parking and a 20 minute bus ride to Terminal 5 :))

16 mins drive to Lidl, Hayes arriving with 20%. 50kW Pod-Point charger for 43 mins to 60% (Also taking a kettle, bottle of water, coffee and porridge oats to use the V2L to make some breakfast while I wait).

36 mins to Lidl, Reading for a 38 min charge from 43% to 80% (with another cup of coffee) for the journey home.

1 hour 30 mins later, arrive home with 19%.

We shall see . . .

I’m down almost 40 percent in range here in Sweden. It’s been cold here now but wow.

I use a Veepeak OBD connected to abrp and that gives me calibrated range. Very nice!

Journey number 2 completed today, and once again the car performed brilliantly. And again, it was a journey of two halves which I think deserves its own thread.

Outside temp = -1 to +1 Celcius. Cabin temp = 22 Celcius, fan speed 4. Mostly in ECO, but used normal on occasions to boost the HVAC.

Set off from Weston super Mare up the M5/M4 motorways with 100% charge.

ABRP - 1 hour 54 mins, 127 miles with 22%.
Actual - 2 hour 20 mins, 131 miles with 25%.

Everything went to plan and arrived at Hounslow West Station, where we caught a bus to Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

The return journey was a bit of a nightmare, but here are the statistics.

Outside temp = 0 to +3 Celcius. Cabin temp = 22 Celcius, fan speed 4. Mostly in ECO, but used normal on occasions to boost the HVAC.

Heavy rain with surface water and spray from Reading to Bristol.

Lidl at Hayes -

ABRP - 17 mins, 4.1 miles with 20%.
Actual - 14 mins, 3.9 miles, 19%.
Charger in use.

Lidl at Feltham - 18 mins, 5.3 miles, 15%. Charger off line.

Lidl at Uxbridge - 4 mins, 1 mile, 14%. 15 mins wait for charger. 47 mins, charged to 65%.

Lidl at Reading -

ABRP - 37 mins, 29 miles with 48%.
Actual - 37 mins, 29.8 miles, 53%.
Charger in use.

Motorway services Reading -

8 mins, 3.9 miles with 50%. 3 CCS chargers, 2 in use, 1 faulty. After 10 mins, charged to 68%.

Journey home -

ABRP - 1 hour 29 mins, 95 miles with 17%.
Actual - 1 hour 39 mins, 87.4 miles, 20%.

When I left Reading, I saw the distance in Google Maps, and the estimated range, and worked out I should get home with 40 miles of range remaining. During the journey, the lowest it went to was 33 and the highest was 44 as I went up and down hills. I arrived home with 38 miles remaining, so again, not a bad guess.

Interesting, I went up to lake Windermere from Nottingham last month.180 miles on a normal 220 charge range ( I run a bit on the motorway to work ) . Pulled in at the services for a coffee and a charge. Plugged in to a gridserve charge point, would not talk to the car. Eventually found out another services 6 miles further ( had 50 left ) so went up there, same again till I saw a bank of new gridserve points at the other side of the car park, charged no problem. Has anybody else had a problem with the older charging points?

Interesting, I went up to lake Windermere from Nottingham last month.180 miles on a normal 220 charge range ( I run a bit on the motorway to work ) . Pulled in at the services for a coffee and a charge. Plugged in to a gridserve charge point, would not talk to the car. Eventually found out another services 6 miles further ( had 50 left ) so went up there, same again till I saw a bank of new gridserve points at the other side of the car park, charged no problem. Has anybody else had a problem with the older charging points?
I have emailed Gridserve and told them I refute their claim on their website that their chargers are robust, reliable and affordable, and reported the issue where it would not initiate the charge. I also suggested they have a button on their front page for reporting faulty chargers as they aren't always robust or reliable as they would like. You've got to admire their bravado though. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom