2000 mile road trip

GavinJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just completed a 2000 mile road trip. Was a bit nervous as I am an EV newbie and had never done any journeys that required me to charge away from home. The trip was from our home to Orkney and back with a stopover in Stirling and Edinburgh.

The car performed very well with 2 adults, a lanky teenager and a boot stuffed to the gunwhales with kit for an outdoors/birdwatching holiday. Overall consumption for the trip was 4wh/mile. We cruised at 68mph on the motorway and kept up with local traffic on A roads (that can be pretty rapid on the A9!). The car was really comfortable, a/c worked when we needed it and the family were impressed. The speed of recharge seemed good, we were charging from 20% to 80% much faster than I had expected (often we would return to the car with 85+% on board). None of the chargers gave a charging speed so could not confirm highest speed.

Some niggles: infotainment with android auto patchy. Also at one charge stop, I had an indicated High Voltage battery issue (solved by locking the car, going for a 10 min walk and then unlocking). This was after trying a longer charge on a rapid charger than I would normally because I was nervous of the journey to Thurso through a wilderness with no rapid chargers (I had a ferry to catch!)

My main gripes are reserved for the chargers. They were tempramental in several instances. I forgot my CYC rfid card and so getting Chargeplace Scotland chargers to work was hit and miss (mainly due to weak data coverage). The call centre (shared with CYC at the time) was fairly unreliable - hold times of 15 mins were not uncommon. Also, as an Edinburgh man, I was astonished how few chargers there were in the city - ended up charging in Drumbrae. By contrast, Orkney had an abundance of chargers.

Another point, I used ABRP (full licence on a trial). I was not impressed. There were too many charge stops (my consumption was way better than the app predicted) and it did not seem to offer any significant tangible advantage over a pen and paper approach.

So, would I do this sort of trip again? Absolutely. I have learned a lot. I plan to go to my inlaws in N Ireland later in the month and will let you know how that went. I am a bit nervous about the charger network there as it seems pretty sparse though.

If anyone else has advice/recommendations on doing long roadtrips in an MG5 (eg optimum cruising speed, best SOC% to recharge, route planner apps etc) please share.

Wow impressive trip. Good to hear about people doing this kind of things as well, especially to more remote destinations.

I was wondering, if you put the same route back into ABRP with the adjusted an ~4kw/mile that you found to be a good motorway estimate does it produce suggestions closer to your reality?

If you're heading North from Inverness on the A9 there are rapid chargers at Dingwall, Evanton, Tain, Dornoch, Golspie, Brora, Helmsdale. Then a break till you get to either Wick or Thurso but it's only 42 miles max. Generally speaking there are rapid chargers within 20 miles of each other.

If you're heading North from Inverness on the A9 there are rapid chargers at Dingwall, Evanton, Tain, Dornoch, Golspie, Brora, Helmsdale. Then a break till you get to either Wick or Thurso but it's only 42 miles max. Generally speaking there are rapid chargers within 20 miles of each other.
Thanks for this. I was being excessively cautious because of the 4 rapid chargers I tried in Inverness none was working for CCS and the one I used needed a reboot. Not ideal when you have to catch a ferry... Glad to hear there are other options.

For your trip to NI you will need to download the ecar connect (ESB) app and if your near a Lidl during your trip you will need the EasyGO app. The ecar app will do the majority of the charge points both in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland

For your trip to NI you will need to download the ecar connect (ESB) app and if your near a Lidl during your trip you will need the EasyGO app. The ecar app will do the majority of the charge points both in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
Thanks very much. Will definitely do this. 👍

Epic. I've still not used a rapid charger but we are hoping to get a few days in mid-Wales soon so reading this kind of thing will help to sway my decision on which car we decide to take!!

Just completed a 2000 mile road trip. Was a bit nervous as I am an EV newbie and had never done any journeys that required me to charge away from home. The trip was from our home to Orkney and back with a stopover in Stirling and Edinburgh.

The car performed very well with 2 adults, a lanky teenager and a boot stuffed to the gunwhales with kit for an outdoors/birdwatching holiday. Overall consumption for the trip was 4wh/mile. We cruised at 68mph on the motorway and kept up with local traffic on A roads (that can be pretty rapid on the A9!). The car was really comfortable, a/c worked when we needed it and the family were impressed. The speed of recharge seemed good, we were charging from 20% to 80% much faster than I had expected (often we would return to the car with 85+% on board). None of the chargers gave a charging speed so could not confirm highest speed.

Some niggles: infotainment with android auto patchy. Also at one charge stop, I had an indicated High Voltage battery issue (solved by locking the car, going for a 10 min walk and then unlocking). This was after trying a longer charge on a rapid charger than I would normally because I was nervous of the journey to Thurso through a wilderness with no rapid chargers (I had a ferry to catch!)

My main gripes are reserved for the chargers. They were tempramental in several instances. I forgot my CYC rfid card and so getting Chargeplace Scotland chargers to work was hit and miss (mainly due to weak data coverage). The call centre (shared with CYC at the time) was fairly unreliable - hold times of 15 mins were not uncommon. Also, as an Edinburgh man, I was astonished how few chargers there were in the city - ended up charging in Drumbrae. By contrast, Orkney had an abundance of chargers.

Another point, I used ABRP (full licence on a trial). I was not impressed. There were too many charge stops (my consumption was way better than the app predicted) and it did not seem to offer any significant tangible advantage over a pen and paper approach.

So, would I do this sort of trip again? Absolutely. I have learned a lot. I plan to go to my inlaws in N Ireland later in the month and will let you know how that went. I am a bit nervous about the charger network there as it seems pretty sparse though.

If anyone else has advice/recommendations on doing long roadtrips in an MG5 (eg optimum cruising speed, best SOC% to recharge, route planner apps etc) please share.
Great post, thanks for the info.

That puts my recent 550 mile round trip to the Norfolk Broads in it's place. I found planning on zap-map for a stop around the 100 mile mark worked out well as a balance between the placement of Instavolt chargers and the range of the dog's bladder.

Excellent to hear - I've got a 280 mile trip from Glasgow to North Wales coming up in October (collect car in September) and been playing with ABRP and Zap-Map. I'll be loading similar to yourself but with the additional drag of a roof box.

Trying to figure out if there are any charging networks worth avoiding - need to search forums again as sure there was one mentioned.

Excellent to hear - I've got a 280 mile trip from Glasgow to North Wales coming up in October (collect car in September) and been playing with ABRP and Zap-Map. I'll be loading similar to yourself but with the additional drag of a roof box.

Trying to figure out if there are any charging networks worth avoiding - need to search forums again as sure there was one mentioned.
Don't forget to factor in the availability of charging at your destination. My MG5 was stacked with everything including the kitchen sink, and filling a roof box (no idea of weight but I'm willing to bet it was well over 35Kg all up - no issues to report). At 65 on the motorway still was getting 3.8+ mKwh. I picked Instavolt locations with more than one charger so to help guarantee a spot as I couldn't afford the time to queue or hunt for another charger.

My very limited experience of English chargers would say look for Gridserve chargers, they will be new and most likely working. Plus they are very easy to use having contactless. Instavolt also but a higher price.

Coming up the way on the M6 I used Knutsford Services and Carlisle Moto Southwaite services, one was the older Ecotricity and the other a newer Gridserve (Carlisle I think)

Coming up the way on the M6 I used Knutsford Services and Carlisle Moto Southwaite services, one was the older Ecotricity and the other a newer Gridserve (Carlisle I think)

I’m thinking Southwaite on the way down and then the big Crow Orchard one. And Westmorland for the farm shop and to stare at the Tesla chargers there 🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom