2022 range

Marius

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m only on my second day and having a little freak out.
I took a small trip of about 32 miles total to the local big Asda. When I left I had a charge of 100% but by the time I got back it was down to 52%!
The car is a MG ZS EV Trophy, just the standard 2022 model.
Surely I’m missing something because as it stands my total range is going to be about 65 miles if I go from 100% to 0% each journey.

What am I missing? Can anyone offer advice?

Cold weather and LFP battery and short journeys the car does not know charge level of battery you will get more miles

Cold weather and LFP battery and short journeys the car does not know charge level of battery you will get more miles
Well that’s good news but kinda frustrating! I have a bigish journey planned on Wednesday of about 72 miles and I’m wondering if I need to leave room to charge on the way now.

I don’t suppose you know how to get the car to register the real battery charge?

I would put your car on charge to 100% as recommended for your type of battery. Leave it on when it gets to 100% so that it can balance if it needs it. You should then get a more accurate range on the Gom with the trip meters zeroed.

I don’t suppose you know how to get the car to register the real battery charge?
Unfortunately even Tesla don't have a fix for this apart from always charge to 100% to give the gom a chance

Turn off heater/air con, then charge to 100% and balance the cells (just leave it plugged in for a few hours when it finishes charging). This should give you a more accurate reading of battery capacity and estimated range.

I’ve got the ZS LR SE. Did my first long road trip today. Charged to 100% overnight at home and left home at 5am with 240 miles range showing. Did a 120 mile trip and it showed 40 miles (30%) range left. How does that happen? Advertised range on the LR was 270 miles. Feel a bit disappointed.

Charged up on gridserve at 65p/kWh using the CCS plug. Credit to them that it does 80% charge in about 40 mins.

We were doing around 70mph all the way and had the heating on all the way at 23 degrees. Outside temp was 4 degrees.

Would have got there and back without blinking in a Dino juice car.

EVs are very different to ICE powered vehicles. As far as range is concerned, you were doing all the wrong things - high speed, heating on all the way.
If you want range, pre heat the vehicle while it’s charging, stick to 60-65 mph where you can. Use heated seats rather than heat the cabin.

Advertised range on the LR was 270 miles. Feel a bit disappointed.
Actually advertised range is 207 miles at 70mph so add cold battery and usage of heating you done well
Screenshot_20221204-191944.png

The two long journeys I did return around 270. One return from Ruislip to Stockport at the beginning of Oct. One reurn from Ruislip to Canterbury last week. I do about 60 mph and just turn the heating on for a bit when it gets too cold. Staying behing a lorry on ACC also helps.

Actually advertised range is 207 miles at 70mph so add cold battery and usage of heating you done well
View attachment 13341
It seems a lot of people don't review specs and how far you can realistically expect to go?? It surprises me when there's so much time to kill waiting for an order. I'm curious how many people have purchased 'blind' and are being caught by surprise as winter sets in 🤔

On my ICE car it does display miles remaining in the tank, and whilst that's useful I ultimately rely on the fuel gauge... I intend to take the same approach with an EV as I understood the GoM to be just that - a guesstimate? Or have I misunderstood?

Drove from West London to Calais a few days ago with my ZS trophy SR. Managed 3.7kwh and 3.6kwh to and from. I'm happy with the result really. Arrived Calais with around 33% charge, then topped up to 83% for the journey back. Charging us cheaper in France around 35p per kw with electroverse app. Did the usual pre heating the cabin, heated seats. Not quicker then 70miles on motorway, but I did set temp to 21/22 degrees and with infotainment streaming video all the way.

Attachments

• 20221130_111651.jpg
    20221130_111651.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20221130_220255.jpg
    20221130_220255.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 98
On a 2.5 hour journey like today the pre-heating of the car would have worn off pretty quick. The SE doesn’t have heated seats.

I don’t think it is a luxury to travel in warmth. I could have been warm in any other car than an EV.

I tried using ECO mode but it is rubbish. Tiny improvement in range but no cabin heat. It was a freezing cold day.

Here it's the realistic range
Long range
Screenshot_20221204-231213.png

Standard range
Screenshot_20221204-231524.png

Taking the car efficiency into account, I have noticed that the ZS doesn't do as well as the Kona in cold weather. I wonder if that is down to different battery chemistry?

Taking the car efficiency into account, I have noticed that the ZS doesn't do as well as the Kona in cold weather. I wonder if that is down to different battery chemistry?

Kona is very efficient, I don't think its just down to battery chemistry. The ZS is a brick on wheels when it comes to aerodynamics and thus it will never score greatly over other cars. The ZS scores in value for money, nothing to touch it there!

You have to play the game with an EV. Cold outside: pre-heat the car and battery before leaving the house (charger plugged in), keep speed down to 60 mph, use heating sparingly and preferably use heated seats if you have them. That's just how it is. Now add a strong head wind, rain and headlights and compensate accordingly. We drove 243 miles in one hit last week in our ZS LR at night in temperature about 4 degrees. Good luck!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom