2129 Miles in France and Spain

PhilJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I think it's about time I shared my experience of driving to Barcelona and back from Reading in August this year.

Firstly, I couldn't believe how badly served Dover is with fast chargers. We were staying overnight in Dover before getting a ferry in the morning. It wasn't long after the disastrous queues at the end of July, so we'd decided to be safe. So I charged Sparky (my MG5 Long Range) at a petrol station on the east side of town, next to the filthiest chain pub I've been to in a long time. Fortunately, I managed to peel my arms off the table after some light refreshment to kill 20 minutes, and we had a full enough battery to venture across the Channel.

First stop in France was the nearest Ionity charger, to check that I could get it to work (I'm a worrier by nature). It took a few attempts to realise that I was thick and doing things in the wrong order (having rarely used anything other than my granny charger in the UK). Once I'd established that I could rely on Ionity, we set off for Orleans, charging a couple of times along the way. The biggest frustration was being flashed by a speed camera for doing a smidge over 70kmh while looking for a McDonalds between the autoroute and our hotel. My own fault, but really annoying because I almost never speed. A month on, I've had no notification. I've read elsewhere that it's an unexpected (and rare) benefit of Brexit, that speeding tickets in France are unlikely to be relayed back to the UK.

The next morning, we nipped to a supermarket to buy breakfast in a cafe, and lunch from a supermarket - loading it into our 12V electric coolbox in the boot (please, MG, next time round can we have more than one 12V socket? One in the boot like my old Zafira would be perfect). Two stops along the route for more juice, including a lovely spot in the Massif Central where we had our picnic lunch. Some long downhill sections of the A75 were fun, watching the battery get charged, followed by a huge drop to Millau for an airbnb.

Morning 3 was alarming, climbing back out of the deep gorge that Millau lies in, watching the charge plummet from 30%, and reaching the first charge of the day on 13% after only about 15 miles (still the lowest %age I've ever reached). The Tesla supercharger in sweltering Rivesaltes was almost empty, quick and simple. Then over the non-existent border into Spain, and reached our destination (Santa Susanna) around lunchtime. The first charger I tried didn't even appear on its own app so that was a kick in the teeth, but I found one closer to our apartment in the car park of Burger King. €0.45 per kWh, and over the whole week we were there, I only once saw another car using either of the 50kW machines. They charged at about 48Kw, so that was me sorted for the week.

We had a similar return journey, but coming up the East side of France with overnight stops in Lyon and Amiens. Overall, with a bit of planning, everything was fine. We only once had to wait for an Ionity charger, which was a bit annoying, but had a nice chat with other EV drivers of various nationalities while waiting. I planned my route around Tesla (my preference) and Ionity chargers, with gaps of 200-250km in between (130-165 miles) and everything was hunky dory, even with aircon and electric coolbox on permanently; it was 32-36 degrees the whole time. Overall I got about 3.7 miles/kWh - I always use Econ with Kers on 3. Incidentally, that's another one for the wish list - being able to set that as the default so I don't have to do it every time I start up.

Incidentally, for Spain, I registered the Iberdrola app with the address of the apartment we were staying at, and managed to register a credit card with it (it refused my Halifax card, but took the Sainsbury's Bank one).

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have done similar routes on a few occasions in my ex-diesel cars. It is likely I am going to attempt a similar journey again on MG4 next year.

First stop in France was the nearest Ionity charger, to check that I could get it to work (I'm a worrier by nature). It took a few attempts to realise that I was thick and doing things in the wrong order (having rarely used anything other than my granny charger in the UK).
For all worriers and new EV drivers I would always recommend doing a fast and a rapid charge as soon as you can after getting the car. One, so that you are confident in what and how to do things and secondly to make sure there is nothing wrong with the car. Best to find out before you get stranded a long way from home.
:)

For all worriers and new EV drivers
I'm neither but I do find reading the specific charger instructions helpful, as the sequence can vary between different charger types.

I'd also recommend the "tie a bit of string to the emergency cable release" documented elsewhere for when you get it wrong!! :)

Hoping Tesla open up more of their chargers before my trip to France next year.

Well done PhilJ, the reason you had such a great trip with no issues is because, you did a bit of thinking and foreword planing of how you where going to tackle you journey, planing a charge around every 130-165 miles as you have wrote, so well with in the capabilities of a MG5 LR with a bit to spare if you did hit a problem, so note to some members here this is a good demonstration of how to travel with an EV well done philJ.
Les

Hoping Tesla open up more of their chargers before my trip to France next year.
Earlier today I was messing with apps for a potential drive to Portugal late next year and at least two stops in France were at Telsa places, both said they are open to non-Tesla.

@PhilJ
Did you get a monthly subscription for the tesla chargers to get a more favorable rate?
No. As I was only going to be using them over a period of two weeks, it wasn't really worth it. The slightly higher cost was balanced out by the speed, reliability, ease of use and availability. I haven't done a full costing, but I suspect I spent about the same on Autoroute tolls as I did on charging.

I think it's about time I shared my experience of driving to Barcelona and back from Reading in August this year.

Firstly, I couldn't believe how badly served Dover is with fast chargers. We were staying overnight in Dover before getting a ferry in the morning. It wasn't long after the disastrous queues at the end of July, so we'd decided to be safe. So I charged Sparky (my MG5 Long Range) at a petrol station on the east side of town, next to the filthiest chain pub I've been to in a long time. Fortunately, I managed to peel my arms off the table after some light refreshment to kill 20 minutes, and we had a full enough battery to venture across the Channel.

First stop in France was the nearest Ionity charger, to check that I could get it to work (I'm a worrier by nature). It took a few attempts to realise that I was thick and doing things in the wrong order (having rarely used anything other than my granny charger in the UK). Once I'd established that I could rely on Ionity, we set off for Orleans, charging a couple of times along the way. The biggest frustration was being flashed by a speed camera for doing a smidge over 70kmh while looking for a McDonalds between the autoroute and our hotel. My own fault, but really annoying because I almost never speed. A month on, I've had no notification. I've read elsewhere that it's an unexpected (and rare) benefit of Brexit, that speeding tickets in France are unlikely to be relayed back to the UK.

The next morning, we nipped to a supermarket to buy breakfast in a cafe, and lunch from a supermarket - loading it into our 12V electric coolbox in the boot (please, MG, next time round can we have more than one 12V socket? One in the boot like my old Zafira would be perfect). Two stops along the route for more juice, including a lovely spot in the Massif Central where we had our picnic lunch. Some long downhill sections of the A75 were fun, watching the battery get charged, followed by a huge drop to Millau for an airbnb.

Morning 3 was alarming, climbing back out of the deep gorge that Millau lies in, watching the charge plummet from 30%, and reaching the first charge of the day on 13% after only about 15 miles (still the lowest %age I've ever reached). The Tesla supercharger in sweltering Rivesaltes was almost empty, quick and simple. Then over the non-existent border into Spain, and reached our destination (Santa Susanna) around lunchtime. The first charger I tried didn't even appear on its own app so that was a kick in the teeth, but I found one closer to our apartment in the car park of Burger King. €0.45 per kWh, and over the whole week we were there, I only once saw another car using either of the 50kW machines. They charged at about 48Kw, so that was me sorted for the week.

We had a similar return journey, but coming up the East side of France with overnight stops in Lyon and Amiens. Overall, with a bit of planning, everything was fine. We only once had to wait for an Ionity charger, which was a bit annoying, but had a nice chat with other EV drivers of various nationalities while waiting. I planned my route around Tesla (my preference) and Ionity chargers, with gaps of 200-250km in between (130-165 miles) and everything was hunky dory, even with aircon and electric coolbox on permanently; it was 32-36 degrees the whole time. Overall I got about 3.7 miles/kWh - I always use Econ with Kers on 3. Incidentally, that's another one for the wish list - being able to set that as the default so I don't have to do it every time I start up.

Incidentally, for Spain, I registered the Iberdrola app with the address of the apartment we were staying at, and managed to register a credit card with it (it refused my Halifax card, but took the Sainsbury's Bank one).
I have never succeeded with Iberdrola. Electromaps is best in Spain, plus Zunder, WENEA & Enel.

I averaged 4.0 miles per kWh on the same trip.

No. As I was only going to be using them over a period of two weeks, it wasn't really worth it. The slightly higher cost was balanced out by the speed, reliability, ease of use and availability. I haven't done a full costing, but I suspect I spent about the same on Autoroute tolls as I did on charging.
Well I know that the subscription is monthly and not a yearly deal. It can be that this drop in rate is already favorable with one almost full charge to offset the costs of a non subscription rate.

Hi, as you’ve done it in real life, can I ask: is there a button to press for the headlights when driving in Europe or do you have to buy a sticky deflector? Cheers, Paul

I used sticky deflectors but as there is no guide for the MG5 I had to guess a bit based on various online guides for similar lights

1665171119736.png

1665171181182.png

I think there was already a thread on deflectors a while back. try a search as I recall someone got some guidance from a manufacturer.

Hi, as you’ve done it in real life, can I ask: is there a button to press for the headlights when driving in Europe or do you have to buy a sticky deflector? Cheers, Paul

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom