Driving & charging in Spain

rman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Thought it may be of interest/use to some to share my experience from a recent trip to Spain.
We took the ferry from UK to Santander and drove to Andalucia and back in our '23 mg5 trophy - around 1800 miles in total. We generally drove at the speed limit (90-120kmh) as wanted to make the journeys as short as possible with a baby in the back! Fully loaded car with the boot jam packed. Although we didn't specifically go in to the mountains, it's a hilly/mountainous country to drive in. Temperature was anything between 8 and 28 degrees.

Not many electric cars in Spain compared to home although thankfully the EU have funded a fair number of chargers and not once did I arrive to find them in use (although a couple were ICE'd!). Lots of chargers being installed in car parks etc so I expect infrastructure will improve a lot in the next year. Plenty of fast chargers on the motorways but we sometimes struggled to find destination chargers, particularly in smaller towns.

I read about needing 6/7 charging apps and RFID cards which sounded like a pain. Instead we just used shell recharge RFID card the whole way and this worked great for us. Maybe not the cheapest way to do it but so so much easier than struggling with all the apps. Cost us between 40-65 cents per kWh In the whole trip we only found 2-3 chargers that weren't working when the app had them as live. Zunder and wenea seemed to have the best chargers and enelX weren't too bad either.

Absolutely no issues with the car during the trip and we're very happy with it having only bought it around 6m ago.

Ended the trip with average efficiency of 3.4m/kwh over 1784 miles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom