22kw charger

Geo68

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I charged the car today on a 22kw charger for 1 and a half hours and only got 6 kws. Was exoecting at least 20kws. Was I expecting too much. It was a Chargepoint Scotland charger. ?

Hi, my understanding is that the mg5 cannot draw 22kwh on this connection and can only draw 6 or 7 Kwh.
Using a ccs however will deliver a rapid charge at a much higher rate.
Hope this helps, I only certain makes can draw the 22kwh correctly.

Isn't 22kw 3 phase? Whilst the mg5 can only utilise a single phase.
A zoe can charge using 3 phase i believe.

Hi, my understanding is that the mg5 cannot draw 22kwh on this connection and can only draw 6 or 7 Kwh.
Using a ccs however will deliver a rapid charge at a much higher rate.
Hope this helps, I only certain makes can draw the 22kwh correctly.
Thanks, that clears that up. 😳

I used the 22kw Pod Point at Tesco, 20 minutes only gave me 4% which is about what I get at home on the 7kw.

On AC chargers, no matter what the rating of the charger the most your car will draw is 7kw. This is because the AC charger (7kw) is actually in the car and the post simply provides power to it.
On DC chargers you should be able to draw up to 80kw (100?) for at least part of the charge process, it ramps up and down as your soc increases to protect the battery.

On AC chargers, no matter what the rating of the charger the most your car will draw is 7kw. This is because the AC charger (7kw) is actually in the car and the post simply provides power to it.
On DC chargers you should be able to draw up to 80kw (100?) for at least part of the charge process, it ramps up and down as your soc increases to protect the battery.
Didn't realise that, do now, assumptions instead of thinking, definitely getting old.cheers for the info,got it into my head now🤯

Don't tesco podpoints kick out a max 7.7kw? I was in Northallerton yesterday (Crosby road) and a private pay and display had 4 7.7kw ports free to use. 1 was available so I took opportunity to use it. Only myv2nd attempt at public charging (the first was tesco Northallerton some weeks ago but their PP had only just been installed and not yet enabled) and it worked fine

Yes as previously said, the battery will only accept charge as a DC (direct current). So when plugged into an AC (alternating current) charger, there’s a converter in the car that converts it. This is what limits the car to the ~7kw charge speed. The rapid chargers supply as DC therefore the converter is not required. I think the cap on this is based on the battery itself (limited to prevent damage I would assume). But again, the speed at which the battery will accept the charge is varied based on temperature and state of charge (the colder and fuller the battery, the slower it’ll charge).

Hi. Our MG5 was slow charging for the first few months of getting it. We took it in to MG and they updated the computer for us free of charge and since then it charges lots faster. 😊

Yeah will have to rethink the charging, glad I'm retired
What I do (though I'm not retired), is drive my car about a mile to the cooncil 7kW charger, walk home, do a day's work (I'm home-based), then go and collect it after my shift.

If you'd told me a couple of years ago that's how my 'commute' would be I'd not have believed you!

I've also got a home charger, but CPS ones in my area are free, so I'm making use of those for as long as it lasts!

What I do (though I'm not retired), is drive my car about a mile to the cooncil 7kW charger, walk home, do a day's work (I'm home-based), then go and collect it after my shift.

If you'd told me a couple of years ago that's how my 'commute' would be I'd not have believed you!

I've also got a home charger, but CPS ones in my area are free, so I'm making use of those for as long as it lasts!
Quite right as well, wish I could get a home charger 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom