3D Printable attachment for charge port bung

joepublic

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all!

I've had my ZS EV for a year and a half now and the thing that has always bothered me is the charge port bung. That flanged part is almost impossible to grip if your finger tips are in any way slippery. I climb regularly, so I like to think I've got good pinch/grip strength, but I still struggle sometimes. I can only imagine it would be completely impossible for someone with hand mobility issues.

As such, I designed this 3D printable part (link to STL below) which can slip onto the bung and live there, making it extremely easy to remove the bung in all conditions.
I've been meaning to get around to posting this here for over a month. I finalised this design on 10th March, and as of today (27th April) I've had no issues with it.

Photo 10-03-2022, 15 49 48.jpg

I'm sure some of you here will have 3D printers, so I'll be keen to hear how you get on with it.

Link: Printables

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a 3D printer has made a lot of things easier.

The charger i bought had a "straigh" holder for the Type 2 connector, bit i did not like the connector being angled like that.

So i designed a 45 degree angled adaptor.

I know, i could have bought one that was angled, but was much more satisfying just being able to design and print one.

I am by no means an expert in 3D design, but i found the site tinkercad.com to be really useful for "Simple" designs, even though it usually ends up being a bit more complicated to design stuff in 3D when you first get started.

This was the first version and i made the holes way to close to the edge, but instead of using a lot of meters of extra PLA, and 8 hours of printing, i just opted to drill new holes :)

angled.jpg

Hi all!

I've had my ZS EV for a year and a half now and the thing that has always bothered me is the charge port bung. That flanged part is almost impossible to grip if your finger tips are in any way slippery. I climb regularly, so I like to think I've got good pinch/grip strength, but I still struggle sometimes. I can only imagine it would be completely impossible for someone with hand mobility issues.

As such, I designed this 3D printable part (link to STL below) which can slip onto the bung and live there, making it extremely easy to remove the bung in all conditions.
I've been meaning to get around to posting this here for over a month. I finalised this design on 10th March, and as of today (27th April) I've had no issues with it.

View attachment 8134

I'm sure some of you here will have 3D printers, so I'll be keen to hear how you get on with it.

Link: Printables
A bright, fluorescent colour would make this easier to see as well (y) ;)

Brilliant now can we have one with led lights
@joepublic has actually designed it with two holes through it (maybe for pull strings ?) where two (or four) LEDs would fit nicely, we just need to figure out how to power them and where to put the batteries.
Thanks @joepublic for the design, very useful.

FWIW, I thought I'd be clever and print one for SWMBO's MG5 as well. The charging port is further out on the 5 so the door won't close with it on.
homer-doh.jpg

My guess when I first saw it, saving filament. No reason to print it if not needed.
I wasted more filament setting my printer up after not using it for about 2 years. 2 x 20mm calibration blocks and 2 failed prints as they didn't stick to the bed initially.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom