6 months in. Thoughts.....

Pauli363

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So. We have had our Mk11 ZS standard range Trophy for 6 months now. We are also just back from the longest trip we have taken so far this weekend for a wedding 110 miles away. On the journey I was thinking about the things I like and don't like about the ZS so far.

To clarify before I start. These are my own thoughts, but overall we are very pleased with the car so far, having completed just over 6500 miles in it. This makes the niggly little issues all the more annoying, as I suspect most of what I will list is the exact same gripes that the majority of us probably have.
Its not exhaustive, but here goes.

Likes.
The ride and power. Its a bit softly sprung. Not terribly sophisticated I have to say. But to me, this leads to quite a comfortable ride. However, over undulating surfaces, there is a lot of rolling about compared to the myriad of other cars I have driven. It doesn't bother me overly, but its an observation.
I find the instant acceleration and torque very satisfying. It really is quite a nippy thing and very enjoyable to drive a distance!

The drive mode Dial. I had one of these in my Jaguar XF and loved it there. Simplicity itself, and works really well in the ZS.

Overall build quality. Far better than it should be for a so called budget brand. We both really like the cabin and how its appointed. Its a nice place to be. The fitting and materials, as well as the panoramic roof are really nice.

Headlights. Excellent.

Steering. As good as Ive had in other cars.

Refinement: low speed is almost silent. Not bad at higher speeds either.

Running costs. We really are saving a lot of money on petrol. We charge almost exclusively from home using our Hypervolt charger. Between the MG smart app, and the Hypervolt app, we can do most things from the phone.

The MG Smart App. Not perfect, but its worked really well since we have got the car.

The amount of driver and electronic aids. (see also dislikes!) Speed sign detection, intelligent cruise, blindspot detection, revising sensors, 360 camera, all great.
As is auto headlights/ wipers etc.

What we don't like.

Indicated range.
This can be all over the place in a matter of minutes. Noticed especially in this colder weather. Can drop 10 or 15 miles before we are out of the driveway sometimes. it can make it hard to gauge how far you might get. Our range indicated about 187miles when we left. It was about 110 miles to the destination, and we had about 30 miles showing when we arrived.

The infotainment screen. Frustrating to say the least. Easily the worst screen I have ever had to use in a modern car. Poorly thought out and executed. The most used and required digits are tiny. Ie, time, temperature etc. That little padlock for locking and unlocking the charger plug from the front of the car is laughable. I can't even tell if its locked or unlocked from about a foot away its so small!
USB music cannot be placed in usable folders or played back as you might expect. You cannot select artists, genre etc as you would expect. It just lumps all the tracks into one list which is really not good. Such a poor application, and so easy to have done right.
The 360 deg camera. Nice to have at this price point, but for goodness sake. Its like looking at the screen on a 15 year old Nokia phone. Up the Res a bit MG!

The Satnav. Testing the Satnav against Google Maps on my phone on our weekend journey was an absolute eye opener. We were away for a family wedding in the middle of Ireland. I set the hotel as the destination. The MG satnav had us on a route 25 minutes longer and about 20 miles longer than google maps.
It also lead us up every tiny lane it could find. Think grass growing up the middle of the lane and you get my drift. There is no option to switch between fast route/ shortest route. but that is so impractical. I wouldn't trust it now on a long journey. I kept it on driving the 110 miles home last night, with google maps also on, and my wife could not believe some of the roads the MG satnav was trying to take us up. Literally directing us off the main road to our destination up effectively a dirt track on occasions. Pretty poor.

Trying to switch between radio, USB etc is a faff as well, again simply not intuitive.

Overall, Its just not really a pleasant experience interacting with the infotainment screen. Not a patch on most other brands. Plenty there, but not nice to use.

That leads me on to the digital dashboard display. Much as its thoroughly modern and nice to have, its badly set up again and fails to provide what it really should.
tiny lettering and little display logic used. It does however provide most of the info needed re battery etc, and is acceptable on the normal screen for power and speed. Although again, tiny lettering and not making the most of the screen available.

Driver aids. Almost all are now turned off. I have left on collision warning and that's it. The emergency collision braking almost put me through the steering wheel one day behind a car that had braked, but not in a dangerous manner, and well within my comfort zone for reaction. It scared the life out of me, and undoubtedly if there had have been a car behind me, it would have run in to the back of me. So its staying off.
Lane departure. Great novelty for about a week. "look what my car can do", but the novelty quickly wears off when its beeping and pushing you about constantly on a narrower road.
The self drive facility that lasts about 10 seconds. Why?

No tinted glass. Why? Just why?

Plastic wheel trims. Not a deal breaker, and I know there are alloys under them. But the energy saving for having these must be miniscule.

Charge Flap. I know this is meant to be a step up from the Mk1. But to me its not great. The flap is very flimsy, and I can see it getting broken down the line. The springs on the two inner port doors are already losing their springiness.

and that's about it. No car is perfect, especially at this price point for a full EV and I appreciate that. Would I get another one? Yes, absolutely. If MG addressed the above it would be even better. In fact, if the Marvel ever makes it here, I would really fancy one.
Most of the above gripes could be rectified quite cheaply as the majority of my dislikes above are software based. A bit of updating and tweaking would make a huge difference for a small outlay. Its a great car. We would love another 100 miles of genuine range. This would really elevate the whole experience, but that will come no doubt.

So. We have had our Mk11 ZS standard range Trophy for 6 months now. We are also just back from the longest trip we have taken so far this weekend for a wedding 110 miles away. On the journey I was thinking about the things I like and don't like about the ZS so far.

To clarify before I start. These are my own thoughts, but overall we are very pleased with the car so far, having completed just over 6500 miles in it. This makes the niggly little issues all the more annoying, as I suspect most of what I will list is the exact same gripes that the majority of us probably have.
Its not exhaustive, but here goes.

Likes.
The ride and power. Its a bit softly sprung. Not terribly sophisticated I have to say. But to me, this leads to quite a comfortable ride. However, over undulating surfaces, there is a lot of rolling about compared to the myriad of other cars I have driven. It doesn't bother me overly, but its an observation.
I find the instant acceleration and torque very satisfying. It really is quite a nippy thing and very enjoyable to drive a distance!

The drive mode Dial. I had one of these in my Jaguar XF and loved it there. Simplicity itself, and works really well in the ZS.

Overall build quality. Far better than it should be for a so called budget brand. We both really like the cabin and how its appointed. Its a nice place to be. The fitting and materials, as well as the panoramic roof are really nice.

Headlights. Excellent.

Steering. As good as Ive had in other cars.

Refinement: low speed is almost silent. Not bad at higher speeds either.

Running costs. We really are saving a lot of money on petrol. We charge almost exclusively from home using our Hypervolt charger. Between the MG smart app, and the Hypervolt app, we can do most things from the phone.

The MG Smart App. Not perfect, but its worked really well since we have got the car.

The amount of driver and electronic aids. (see also dislikes!) Speed sign detection, intelligent cruise, blindspot detection, revising sensors, 360 camera, all great.
As is auto headlights/ wipers etc.

What we don't like.

Indicated range.
This can be all over the place in a matter of minutes. Noticed especially in this colder weather. Can drop 10 or 15 miles before we are out of the driveway sometimes. it can make it hard to gauge how far you might get. Our range indicated about 187miles when we left. It was about 110 miles to the destination, and we had about 30 miles showing when we arrived.

The infotainment screen. Frustrating to say the least. Easily the worst screen I have ever had to use in a modern car. Poorly thought out and executed. The most used and required digits are tiny. Ie, time, temperature etc. That little padlock for locking and unlocking the charger plug from the front of the car is laughable. I can't even tell if its locked or unlocked from about a foot away its so small!
USB music cannot be placed in usable folders or played back as you might expect. You cannot select artists, genre etc as you would expect. It just lumps all the tracks into one list which is really not good. Such a poor application, and so easy to have done right.
The 360 deg camera. Nice to have at this price point, but for goodness sake. Its like looking at the screen on a 15 year old Nokia phone. Up the Res a bit MG!

The Satnav. Testing the Satnav against Google Maps on my phone on our weekend journey was an absolute eye opener. We were away for a family wedding in the middle of Ireland. I set the hotel as the destination. The MG satnav had us on a route 25 minutes longer and about 20 miles longer than google maps.
It also lead us up every tiny lane it could find. Think grass growing up the middle of the lane and you get my drift. There is no option to switch between fast route/ shortest route. but that is so impractical. I wouldn't trust it now on a long journey. I kept it on driving the 110 miles home last night, with google maps also on, and my wife could not believe some of the roads the MG satnav was trying to take us up. Literally directing us off the main road to our destination up effectively a dirt track on occasions. Pretty poor.

Trying to switch between radio, USB etc is a faff as well, again simply not intuitive.

Overall, Its just not really a pleasant experience interacting with the infotainment screen. Not a patch on most other brands. Plenty there, but not nice to use.

That leads me on to the digital dashboard display. Much as its thoroughly modern and nice to have, its badly set up again and fails to provide what it really should.
tiny lettering and little display logic used. It does however provide most of the info needed re battery etc, and is acceptable on the normal screen for power and speed. Although again, tiny lettering and not making the most of the screen available.

Driver aids. Almost all are now turned off. I have left on collision warning and that's it. The emergency collision braking almost put me through the steering wheel one day behind a car that had braked, but not in a dangerous manner, and well within my comfort zone for reaction. It scared the life out of me, and undoubtedly if there had have been a car behind me, it would have run in to the back of me. So its staying off.
Lane departure. Great novelty for about a week. "look what my car can do", but the novelty quickly wears off when its beeping and pushing you about constantly on a narrower road.
The self drive facility that lasts about 10 seconds. Why?

No tinted glass. Why? Just why?

Plastic wheel trims. Not a deal breaker, and I know there are alloys under them. But the energy saving for having these must be miniscule.

Charge Flap. I know this is meant to be a step up from the Mk1. But to me its not great. The flap is very flimsy, and I can see it getting broken down the line. The springs on the two inner port doors are already losing their springiness.

and that's about it. No car is perfect, especially at this price point for a full EV and I appreciate that. Would I get another one? Yes, absolutely. If MG addressed the above it would be even better. In fact, if the Marvel ever makes it here, I would really fancy one.
Most of the above gripes could be rectified quite cheaply as the majority of my dislikes above are software based. A bit of updating and tweaking would make a huge difference for a small outlay. Its a great car. We would love another 100 miles of genuine range. This would really elevate the whole experience, but that will come no doubt.
These are very fair comments, but I assume that you never had the Gen 1 version of the car before this then ?.
Because as a previous owner of the Gen 1 model ( now Gen 2 model ) this would have given you a real headache 🤣.
The Gen 1 model had zero tint to the glass, but the Gen 2 HAS got a very very slight factory tint compared to the previous model.
Personally though the factory tint is still not strong enough for us, so I had another light tint applied from the "B"pillar back.
If you find the standard range a little short on range, maybe a long range model would have been better option ?.

Yes Lovemyev. The long range would certainly be good, but by and large for what my wife uses the car for, the SR is sufficient for most jobs. It's only on a bigger run that we really notice the difference. I hear you re the gen 1. I expect the gen3 will be a cracker to be fair. I hope those reading my post don't mistake me for dumping on the car. I really like it, and my wife loves it. It's a really nice machine to drive. Some tweaks and it would be greatly improved though

Lane assist can be set to "assist" without audio.

I had mine on and did not feel that it was that intrusive, but i did turn off the beeping. Beeping should be reserved for when there is a real problem, no "Hey you crossed this centerline for a millisecond"

Even though you are not dissin the car, a few things that may help ease some of your dislikes. :)

Re Satnav, who uses in built satnav anyway, just use Google Maps or others on your phone (Via Android Auto or Carplay)

Re trims - if you don't like, take 'em off.

Re Charge flap - may feel flimsy but have you heard of any getting broken on Gen 1 or 2 ? Me neither.

Even though you are not dissin the car, a few things that may help ease some of your dislikes. :)

Re Satnav, who uses in built satnav anyway, just use Google Maps or others on your phone (Via Android Auto or Carplay)

Re Charge flap - may feel flimsy but have you heard of any getting broken on Gen 1 or 2 ? Me neither.
They don't really 'ease' my dislikes. I have always used the satnav in my previous cars and they have been perfectly fine. This one isn't and it should be. It's an integral part of the vehicle that is not up to snuff. I don't know anyone else with a gen 1 or 2 ZS so I don't know how many flaps have broken. For the record, the door on the gen 1 seems stronger albeit wasn't the most convenient. What I do know is that the gen2 is very flimsy and I could see it breaking.
It's not about dissing anything it's about my own personal honest experiences.

Lane assist can be set to "assist" without audio.

I had mine on and did not feel that it was that intrusive, but i did turn off the beeping. Beeping should be reserved for when there is a real problem, no "Hey you crossed this centerline for a millisecond"
I know the audio can be turned off. I think experiences will differ dependant on the road type most often travelled. On a major road or motorway it's not such an issue. On smaller B roads it is, as the roads tend to be a lot narrower

The sat nav on my Gen 1 feels like it's about 10 years behind the ones on my previous Toyotas and they weren't that good.

They don't really 'ease' my dislikes. I have always used the satnav in my previous cars and they have been perfectly fine. This one isn't and it should be. It's an integral part of the vehicle that is not up to snuff. I don't know anyone else with a gen 1 or 2 ZS so I don't know how many flaps have broken. For the record, the door on the gen 1 seems stronger albeit wasn't the most convenient. What I do know is that the gen2 is very flimsy and I could see it breaking.
It's not about dissing anything it's about my own personal honest experiences.
I know, I said you weren't dissing the car.
I gave suggestions to remedy some of your dislikes, If you don't like the remedies then fine don't use them, carry on living with your dislikes.

I have always used the satnav in my previous cars and they have been perfectly fine. This one isn't and it should be.
Although I have used my Iphone 13 for map guidance ( and yes of course it is better ).
But I have also tried using the inbuilt Sat Nav on the Gen 2 on a couple of occasions and it did get us to our destinations just fine.
Not the best, but inbuilt units never are !.
The Sat Nav in previous VAG's have made a good job of getting us lost as well 🤣.
The charge door on the ZS EV Gen1 was extremely heavy and did feel a bit delicate due to its size and weight, but in fairness it did work okay to be honest.
The charge flap on the Gen 2 feels about as flimsy as the petrol door flap on many ICE cars to be honest, no better - but no worse.
Neither charge ports had any light(s) inside though.

I know, I said you weren't dissing the car.
I gave suggestions to remedy some of your dislikes, If you don't like the remedies then fine don't use them, carry on living with your dislikes.
With respect. "Don't use the satnav" is not really a remedy. Anyhow. Its simply observations for conversation. May help some new buyers as well.

Although I have used my Iphone 13 for map guidance ( and yes of course it is better ).
But I have also tried using the inbuilt Sat Nav on the Gen 2 on a couple of occasions and it did get us to our destinations just fine.
Not the best, but inbuilt units never are !.
The Sat Nav in previous VAG's have made a good job of getting us lost as well 🤣.
The charge door on the ZS EV Gen1 was extremely heavy
Eh? It's made of plastic fantastic ?🤔

Eh? It's made of plastic fantastic ?🤔
It's hard to describe really ?.
It heavy in a strange way that you many that you not expect, for plain good old fashioned plastic really ( if that makes any sense sorry ).
The charge port cover on the Gen 1 is extremely large in it's size and has the busy design of the grill built into the hinged door also.
The cantilever hinges on both sides of the door are also made of plastic and the door just feel a bit to overwhelming for the plastic hinges, due to the size and weight.
The door also has a large raised centre boss section, that carry's the large MG badge which has built in LED's inside to indicate the different charging stages.
When closing the door, you feel you have to be just a little gentle and not go full caveman and let the weight slam it down.
You have to support the door with the palm of your hand and lower it down into its postion.
Then apply pressure against the door and it will catch onto the latch.
Opening is similar in reverse, but you need to give the large door a bit of a helping hand to help raise it up.
It can catch you out sometimes when closing the door, due to the weight.
After saying that, I don't know if anybody has actually broken one yet.
So, they maybe a bit stronger than they first feel 🤣 .
And yes, I have driven off without closing the charging door first :cry:.
Yeah - For what is plastic section, you don't expect it to be as heavy as it is 🤷‍♂️.

It's hard to describe really ?.
It heavy in a strange way that you many that you not expect, for plain good old fashioned plastic really ( if that makes any sense sorry ).
The charge port cover on the Gen 1 is extremely large in it's size and has the busy design of the grill built into the hinged door also.
The cantilever hinges on both sides of the door are also made of plastic and the door just feel a bit to overwhelming for the plastic hinges, due to the size and weight.
The door also has a large raised centre boss section, that carry's the large MG badge which has built in LED's inside to indicate the different charging stages.
When closing the door, you feel you have to be just a little gentle and not go full caveman and let the weight slam it down.
You have to support the door with the palm of your hand and lower it down into its postion.
Then apply pressure against the door and it will catch onto the latch.
Opening is similar in reverse, but you need to give the large door a bit of a helping hand to help raise it up.
It can catch you out sometimes when closing the door, due to the weight.
After saying that, I don't know if anybody has actually broken one yet.
So, they maybe a bit stronger than they first feel 🤣 .
And yes, I have driven off without closing the charging door first :cry:.
Yeah - For what is plastic section, you don't expect it to be as heavy as it is 🤷‍♂️.
Maybe yours was bust 😁

I know the audio can be turned off. I think experiences will differ dependant on the road type most often travelled. On a major road or motorway it's not such an issue. On smaller B roads it is, as the roads tend to be a lot narrower
Yeah, i dont know the general state of striping on UK roads, here in Denmark the striping is pretty much okay on all but the narrowest of country roads, so maybe if striping is not that good on UK roads, this will affect the lane keeping.

To be honest, as more and more cars get this feature, the government should see that the road striping is suddenly becoming a "cheap" way of gaining road safety.

The lane keeping feature is keeping head on collisions at a lower rate, than if it had not been invented, sadly not least because of people looking at their phone while driving instead of looking out the window.

Lane keeping assistant should not negate the need to look out of the window, but it will save some people's lives nevertheless.

That and the Radar assisted AEB, i think this should be a mandated feature on all new cars to be honest.

With respect. "Don't use the satnav" is not really a remedy. Anyhow. Its simply observations for conversation. May help some new buyers as well.
No problem, you probably just missed the remedy in my post of using an alternative satnav, (possibly utilising AA or Carplay) rather than the poor built in one.

Your observations are valuable and yes hopefully they will help other drivers.

I totally agree with intuitiveness or lack off when changing from usb to radio and such but I have found a process I’m happier with

I asked for my windows to be tinted at point of order which was done perfectly well tbh

I agree with the range so much so that I’ve stopped looking at it and instead base journeys on the percentage especially motorway driving

Regarding the resolution of the cameras remember that’s supposed to be assisting and not the number 1 method to be used

All in all I do have a couple of ‘niggles’
Would like to be able to turn on seat warmers remotely for cold mornings and open the sunroof or windows remotely for hot days

But there is one thing I really really wish they had added
A bloody sensor telling you if you have left the charge cap open!!!

mmmm. Charge Flap snapped off - ZS EV Trophy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom