Hello, thanks for the information above very useful. Currently if I plug my 7kW home charger in the battery charge status will start flashing up in the instrument cluster - this will only happen if I lock the car - if I unlock the status is "connected but not charging". My dealership has said the High voltage fuse update is done. Just so I have a clear understanding of AC charging whilst unlocked could you describe the sequence of events you experience when plugging in your home charger. I will go back to the dealership with the OBC recommendation. Many thanks.
My wife’s car was at our local dealer today to have a rattle investigated. While it was there the service manager said that he had checked the VIN against SA017 (HV Fuse) and this was not required on the car; I guess it must be a post June 2020 car. However, they did carry out SA015 (BMS). The car will now accept an AC charge while unlocked.

Hello, thanks for the information above very useful. Currently if I plug my 7kW home charger in the battery charge status will start flashing up in the instrument cluster - this will only happen if I lock the car - if I unlock the status is "connected but not charging". My dealership has said the High voltage fuse update is done. Just so I have a clear understanding of AC charging whilst unlocked could you describe the sequence of events you experience when plugging in your home charger. I will go back to the dealership with the OBC recommendation. Many thanks.
Hi Ciprocon,

I have had a bit of a play with charging but first I must say that I believe HV Fuse is not to do with charging - more to do with the car cutting out when you are driving. This has not been applied to my car as an update.

EVCC - This works when smart charging is enabled on the ev.energy app, car is unlocked and blue light is flashing on the Rolec charger. Then plug in the cable (either end first), lock the car and the cable locks in place. Car says "plugged in but not charging". app says "car plugged in but not charging - scheduled to start at 19:30" (I told the app that I wanted my car by 03:00, if you change this time then the scheduled start time is adjusted accordingly - it doesn't necessarily start when your peak rate ends). Car will then start at the scheduled start time. I have had no issues with this now that trickle charge has been disabled by ev.energy.

OBC - This is easiest to test when smart charging is disabled on the ev.energy app, car is unlocked and green light is flashing on the Rolec charger. Then plug in the cable. Charging won't start until you lock the car and the cable locks in place. The next part is a bit hit and miss as it does not always work for me first time, but yes I did manage to unlock my car after waiting a few minutes from the start of the charge and it continued to charge, the cable did not disengage and I was able to get in, turn the car on and it kept charging. The car did warn me that it was still charging and cable was engaged. I then got out and locked the car which kept charging. I then waited a minute, unlocked the car and charging stopped as I heard the cable solenoid - I was then able to disconnect (you have a minute before it starts charging again).

Hope this helps.

One issue I have got is that my charger buzzes a bit. So much so, that I can hear it in my bedroom if the window is open. I plan to get the installer to have a look at it as I don't remember it being that loud when it was first installed last month.

Jason

Thanks for the replies, the car is now booked in specifically to resolve the issue of AC charging whilst unlocked. The service agent didn't appear overly confident or knowledgeable on the subject and suggested the car be left with them for the day. I will let you know the outcome 🤞

Hi all, I have posted previously about my problem charging my EV with my Rolec Wall charger. As I have pointed out the car will start to charge and then stops after 10/15secs. My dealer had the car in for any necessary updates and found that three had not been installed. Brought the car home plugged it into the wall charger and without locking it started to charge for about 30secs and then the wall charger went crazy switching on and off constantly. Switched my house wifi off and the car charged perfectly. Plugged other cars into my wall box charged with wifi on or off with no problem. Rolec say its a problem with the car, MG say its a problem with the Rolec charger. The charger is about three years old and a basic type which charged my outlander with no problems at all. My wifi is with BT and does not go through the house wiring. Having read all the other problems with the ZS ev i hope I havent spent my money on a pig in a poke. Anyone who can help I would love to hear from you. P L E A S E

I bet your Rolec charger is not compatible as it's 3 years old. If you disable smart charging on the app and turn your Wi-Fi on does it charge ok?

Hello, just picked up the car from Apple MG service centre in Meopham, Kent today and can report that the car now charges whilst unlocked on a 7kW AC slow charger. It appears that they also carried out the High voltage fuse update. Only spoilt by a somewhat rude female employee who when I asked what the updates were she replied "you don't need to worry about that" (not great when talking to customers !). So unfortunately I can't post the actual update numbers. Pleased the car is updated, not looking forward to going back to Apple MG Meopham for anything else ☹️.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom