7kW home charger.

Pauli363

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Likely signing tomorrow for a ZS EV. Is there any specific home charger that forum users have leaned towards or any good deals currently available? I was surprised at how many units were on sale, and its going to take a bit of research. This is going to be the second car at the house for my wife. I don't really need or want an all singing all dancing piece of electronic wizardry on my wall. Just a solid reliable charger that will do what's its meant to do. I aim to avail of Economy 7 night time charging. Many thanks

A lot of energy providers offer discounts on chargers worth checking out your provider 1st and other providers offer cheap 5p all day charging but has to be certain charger installed to get it

This will depend on how miles you do daily or weekly.
The Zappi is a great unit if you are thinking of getting solar or a heat pump as it can manage the house load.
If you are very low mileage you may even get away with using just the 'granny' but get a new well made waterproof socket fitted.

I mostly use the granny charger on off peak overnight tariff or off the solar panels. Occasionally use the Pod-Point overnight if I have depleted the battery and need to replenish for the next day.

I'd refer you to this post:

This will depend on how miles you do daily or weekly.
The Zappi is a great unit if you are thinking of getting solar or a heat pump as it can manage the house load.
If you are very low mileage you may even get away with using just the 'granny' but get a new well made waterproof socket fitted.
Unless you're 100% certain you'll never be able to have solar (or even wind) I would suggest a Zappi.

Got a free BP Chargemaster charger with my first EV.
In hindsight should have paid out of pocket for a Zappi instead, would have got the old £350 grant towards it.
Now it's not financially viable to change it when we get the PV installed.

A lot of energy providers offer discounts on chargers worth checking out your provider 1st and other providers offer cheap 5p all day charging but has to be certain charger installed to get it
Who offers 5p all day charging.??

I have SyncEV 7kw smart charger - works well and able to set charge start time. Keeps the ZSEV awake with small pulse charges. Good graphical display of charge history on the phone app.

I just tried to get a quote and there's no off peak charging times now available.
This there is no off peak tariff your right but there is 5p charging anytime that you have as a add on for free you just need one of the compatible chargers
Screenshot_20220415_113348.jpg

Ah right ok. I have octopus at the moment and the day rate and standing charge is cheaper and I only need to charge off peak so for me it wouldn't be beneficial plus I'd have to change my charger

I have SyncEV 7kw smart charger - works well and able to set charge start time. Keeps the ZSEV awake with small pulse charges. Good graphical display of charge history on the phone app.
If you ask them to put you on the Beta firmware it does away with the terrible pulse feature, that will eventually wear out the relays/contactors.

Likely signing tomorrow for a ZS EV. Is there any specific home charger that forum users have leaned towards or any good deals currently available? I was surprised at how many units were on sale, and its going to take a bit of research. This is going to be the second car at the house for my wife. I don't really need or want an all singing all dancing piece of electronic wizardry on my wall. Just a solid reliable charger that will do what's its meant to do. I aim to avail of Economy 7 night time charging. Many thanks
Don’t have my MG yet, but I recently purchased a Hypervolt home charger. Hypervolt The install process was very efficient and I even managed to get it done in time for the Gov grant. Friends tested it on their cars and all seems fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom