"80% is Enough" on a Rapid Charge Campaign!!!

Charging above +80% does not make a lot of sense to me really, many EV’s will commence throttling back the charge from around this point anyway.
It will continue to charge, but speed will keep reducing the closer you get to 100% fully charged.
The cost of that charge does NOT reduce in line with the speed of the charge though.
Sitting on the rapid to gain that last 15 - 20% until fully charged, is going to be a lot slower than when the charge cycle commenced that’s for sure.
The last 20% of a charge is going to be the most expensive anyway !.
Where is the sense of that ?.
People who regularly frequent rapid units are folks in a hurry to be somewhere else yesterday.
Therefore moving on to the next leg of your trip when the car hits around 80% ish is going to be a better / more cost effective option surely ?.
People who need to be places in a hurry, are unlikely to sit on a rapid until it hits 100%.
Time is money unless you are lucky enough to be retired of course.
I just can’t see the point of sitting on a rapid until it hits 100%.
If you need ALL of that range, on a medium sized pack, then you where cutting it very fine anyway 🤣.

Are you not charged by the kwhr? I’ve not done much rapid charging.

Why would that be the case?

I understand that the number of KwH 'provided' by the charger is more than the actual KwH put into the battery due to wastage factors (heat production etc.)
Is there more 'wastage' on the last 20% of top up (and does that then apply over all charging methods), or is it that there is more wastage once the power drops to a lower level (and again, does that apply equally between DC and AC charging)?
Thanks

Hi first off I want to say to DaveS well done for this campaign it is well worthwhile will it make any difference I hope so.

So I think most EV owners know charging on a rapid above 80% ish is not the best thing for the battery which is why the car or the chargers or both throttle back the charge rate When they get some where around this level of charge.

I have wrote before on this forum that I don’t think anyone using a rapid should leave that vehicle for any longer then a toilet break that’s my opinion on it, if you intend to be more let’s say 15/20 minutes you should stay with the car until it’s at 80% most owners have a good idea how long there car needs to get to that level and then they should move it from the bay.

I also think it’s a very good and courteous thing to leave contact number on the car as some one on here Suggested even when you are only on a toilet break that takes away the anxiety of people waiting if they call you and you say ok I’ll be back there in whatever time 10-15 minutes they can wait or find another Charging point.

Now Lovemyev has written above #21

The cost of that charge does NOT reduce in line with the speed of the charge though.
Sitting on the rapid to gain that last 15 - 20% until fully charged, is going to be a lot slower than when the charge cycle commenced that’s for sure.

Well I don't understand where you are coming from with this lovemyev as we pay for the charge by the amount of KW we put in the car so if the car is taking In let’s say 50 Kw at say 40p per kw when the charger slows at around 80% and then you leave it still charging and the rate of charge drops to around 7KW you still only pay the same rates for the KW that goes in it just takes much longer doesn’t it

Now I know that my sons Tesla model X sends him a warning when is car is up to around 75-80% charged and if he doesn’t unplug within about 10 minutes of that warning he is charged for the charge

So unwittingly lovemyev May have hit on a very good idea which I’m sure could be done by the networks that being timed charging instead of KW charging for example on a rapid £5.00 for 30 minutes £12.50 for an hour £20 for longer just the way most carparks work that would make owners think twice about leaving there cars for longer than they should and give everyone a chance
Les

Maybe I did not come over correctly sorry.
A percentage rate is where I was coming from really folks !.
Everybody would be jumping off the rapids if at 80% because the cost then becomes expensive.
If the rate is the same right through the range, that is why people are sitting on them above 80%.
But smart busy people are not going to sit on them away, because the rate of charge has reduced drastically above 80% anyway.
It’s a lack of understanding sometimes.
People just plug into a rapid and walk way and treat them like there wall box at home.
Return at there convenience to find the car finished charging ages ago !.
An interface with the car would avoid this situation.
Then the car would notify the owner when the charge hits a preset figure.
Then the owner has no reason not to move the car when it hits that predetermined percentage.

@Les burrows .
We are on the same page Les.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom