90mph Before I Realised It!

bwanamdevu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I try to limit my speed and never venture beyond 75/80mph. Last night, quite late and driving on the M18 away from Sheffield, the road was not very busy at all and I was lost in my own thoughts. Before I realised, I was doing 90mph! My MG5 had reached this speed seemingly effortly and the engine noise generated at that speed was not appreciably louder than at 70!

If I had been in an ICE, I would have noticed the engine noise increasing, giving me much more of a flavour of the speed I was doing. I wonder if others have been travelling unconciously too fast before noticing? Obviously, I reduced my speed straight away.

I try to limit my speed and never venture beyond 75/80mph. Last night, quite late and driving on the M18 away from Sheffield, the road was not very busy at all and I was lost in my own thoughts. Before I realised, I was doing 90mph! My MG5 had reached this speed seemingly effortly and the engine noise generated at that speed was not appreciably louder than at 70!

If I had been in an ICE, I would have noticed the engine noise increasing, giving me much more of a flavour of the speed I was doing. I wonder if others have been travelling unconciously too fast before noticing? Obviously, I reduced my speed straight away.
That’s why I have my speed warning set at 80, it “wakes me up “ before I get over that. Totally agree re noise.

Same thing happened to me when I first got the car. A wiser man than me suggested cruise control on the motorway.

I must look up the speed warning suggested above.

I am yet to drive on a motorway but can easily imagine this happening- the other day I was convinced I was doing 30 and it was just past 50. It's so easy to do without a standard gearbox and engine noise.

Strange. I haven't driven over 65mph in mine. I often feel the car is going faster than it really is. My son said the same. I know it can go fast but take great pleasure in letting people go past....knowing I could easily leave them for dust if I wanted to.

I think it’s funny because I have never owned a car with such a huge visual speedo. At night it is quite bright as well and if we don’t notice it what else have we missed?

I miss the HUD I had in the Prius. You could see the speed without taking your eyes off the road by looking down.

I used to have a Road Angel (in fact I still have it but it hasn't been used in years) and the primary reason for buying it was not camera detection but the fact that it gave accurate speed information that didn't require you to take your eyes off the road. It's just a good idea in my opinion and one that can be implemented without the complexity of a full HUD.

There are assorted aftermarket HUD's you can purchase if you miss it enough, that you just place on top of your dash

I know there are apps for the phone as well, that's probably the cheapest solution.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom