A/C compressor "off line"

LenUlv

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
This is a one off for me, but I post it if someone has similar problems in the future.

After charging about a month ago I managed to press the lock button at the exact same time that I opened the driver door. I think I sent some code string that the can-bus couldn't handle and after that the compressor just would not start even if everything looked normal.

I tried every trick I know to reset, but nothing worked.

The solution was to start the cooling from the iSMART app and then from there change the temperature and press SAVE (think the save was the important part). That miraculously started the compressor again and it has behaved normally since.

Interesting, did you report the glitch to your dealer?

This is a one off for me, but I post it if someone has similar problems in the future.

After charging about a month ago I managed to press the lock button at the exact same time that I opened the driver door. I think I sent some code string that the can-bus couldn't handle and after that the compressor just would not start even if everything looked normal.

I tried every trick I know to reset, but nothing worked.

The solution was to start the cooling from the iSMART app and then from there change the temperature and press SAVE (think the save was the important part). That miraculously started the compressor again and it has behaved normally since.
Not sure about the code you sent but I had the problem of AC not cooling at all a few times. I could sometimes fix it by stepping out of the car and screw around a bit with the app AC settings. Other times there was not way to fix it, but when the car had a 'break' for some hours (overnight) it would work again the next day.
This (and a lot of other issues) was fixed with a software update after I told my dealer about the problems that were occurring. Apparently this was an update that was supposed to be done before selling me the car but they forgot to do it.

Interesting, did you report the glitch to your dealer?
No, not yet. I don't know if it is reproducible. It is the wrong season here in Portugal for risking a permanent loss of cooling ;o)

I will test if I need to see them before service, otherwise I will put it on the list in another 6 months when it's one year old.

Not sure about the code you sent but I had the problem of AC not cooling at all a few times. I could sometimes fix it by stepping out of the car and screw around a bit with the app AC settings. Other times there was not way to fix it, but when the car had a 'break' for some hours (overnight) it would work again the next day.
This (and a lot of other issues) was fixed with a software update after I told my dealer about the problems that were occurring. Apparently this was an update that was supposed to be done before selling me the car but they forgot to do it.
For me it just (hopefully) the one time. Otherwise it works as it should. Good to know that there is a fix if it reoccurs :)

Overall the car performs well with few of the oddities already reported here in the forum. The car was delivered 2 March this year and I think the dealer put the latest software in. I did get R24 in the infotainment that seems to work with everything (including bluetooth) except the consumption graph.

The usual suggestion when systems get into an abnormal state is to power off/on. In this case it means disconnect the 12V battery -ve terminal for 10 minutes or so, then refit it. This may reset the car to factory defaults.

I did get R24 in the infotainment that seems to work with everything (including bluetooth) except the consumption graph.
Oh the consumption graph was also fixed for me in that same update. Many things worked much better after that update (like fixes for volume control issues, AC and heating issues, dashboard warning issues and better design + performance of both screens). So if you don't have that update yet it might be worth looking into it!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back