Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
People often come to a forum for information (sometimes before purchasing) but also to get help with issues they have. This can sometimes give the impression that there are lots of problems when, in fact, happy owners, just get on and enjoy their cars without feeling any need to discuss them. Which leaves a disproportionately large proportion of threads posted here being about problems. So let's ask the question.

Last edited:
Notwithstanding the MG4XP vibes, which truth be told have very nearly been completely eliminated with my tyre change.
I love my car.
It just takes a bit of getting used to when you first get it.

Same as anything though really.

20240118_223038.jpg

I love it. It seems that the R33 software update plus other things done at the same time elminate a huge chunk of the gripes I have with the car and I look forward to having that done.

Really, there was nothing that couldn't be tolerated or worked round in any case, but it's nice to know that a lot of this has been addressed.

Now just GIVE SE OWNERS THE OPTION TO DISABLE THE AUTOMATIC CENTRAL LOCKING!

I've got that off my chest now.

But really, I just love driving the car. I can't really explain why, but I want to take it out and go places in a way I don't think I ever did with my petrol cars. I'm absolutely prepared to set off bloody anywhere in an SR, and damn the public charging infrastructure, I will make it work.

I just watched an online review of the Nissan Leaf, because a friend has one and it looks like a nice car. (I wouldn't touch it for the CHAdeMO, but I wanted to know.) The reviewer liked the car and it has some nice features the MG4 SE doesn't have, but he kept saying how ordinary and uninspiring it was to drive. I think we won this one!

I love it. It seems that the R33 software update plus other things done at the same time elminate a huge chunk of the gripes I have with the car and I look forward to having that done.

Really, there was nothing that couldn't be tolerated or worked round in any case, but it's nice to know that a lot of this has been addressed.

Now just GIVE SE OWNERS THE OPTION TO DISABLE THE AUTOMATIC CENTRAL LOCKING!

I've got that off my chest now.

But really, I just love driving the car. I can't really explain why, but I want to take it out and go places in a way I don't think I ever did with my petrol cars. I'm absolutely prepared to set off bloody anywhere in an SR, and damn the public charging infrastructure, I will make it work.

I just watched an online review of the Nissan Leaf, because a friend has one and it looks like a nice car. (I wouldn't touch it for the CHAdeMO, but I wanted to know.) The reviewer liked the car and it has some nice features the MG4 SE doesn't have, but he kept saying how ordinary and uninspiring it was to drive. I think we won this one!
What did R33 fix if you don't mind me asking? I guess the next update for Luxury will solve the same problems.

I don't want to clutter this thread with a lot of discussion about that, so I'm pasting what I wrote in the comments of a recent YouTube video about it.

Bear in mind though that the SE and the Trophy have different bugs. The Trophy has had a lot of issues with phones unpairing and things going wrong intermittently which the SE didn't experience. And MG seemed to fix Trophy issues first, initially.

Things not yet fixed.

1. The temperature offset, which Bjorn Nyland thinks is not an offset as such, but is due to the set temperature being the temperature of the air coming out of the ventilation ducts, not the temperature reached in the cabin. He thinks this is a common thing in many Chinese-made cars.
2. THE INFERNAL AUTO-LOCK! It still can't be switched off, as it can be in the Trophy, and it is literally driving me out of my freaking mind.
3. The colour of the battery SoC indicator. This is supposed to change from green to amber at (maybe) 50%, then from amber to red at (maybe) 10%. Very few cars actually do this, although there is video where some do, and a couple of owners have said their cars do it right. God knows how, because in most cars it stays green the whole time, except that the amber colour gets lonely and sometimes appears randomly irrespective of the actual SoC. It's possible it regularly changes to amber below 5% charge, but since few people go there, nobody is quite sure. (Someone suggested it was a decimal point thing. Instead of amber at 50% and red at 10%, we're getting amber at 5% and red at 1%, but nobody has gone to 1% to find out.) It's a small niggle, but hey, come on!

Things not fixed right.

4. The switch-off of the LKA. @siteguru says that it's not a one-tap off as indicated in the video. The one tap still gets you that "are you really sure you want to do this?" confirmation dialogue box, which has then to be tapped again before it goes off. Not useful if you need it off in a hurry. This needs a physical one-press button, not messing around on a touch-screen as your car is trying to drive you into a pothole. Also, since most people who turn off the LKA as part of their pre-flight routine also turn off the speed limit recognition at the same time, and the speed limit recognition still needs the old procedure to turn it off, I don't think this innovation is much practical use.
5. The thing about the audio volume. But I always use incremental one-tap changes anyway, so it's probably not a biggie.

Things that have been fixed right, and the reasons I'm dying to get the upgrades.

6. Heating the car (and the battery) when plugged in but not charging. This is a bigger deal than I had realised, because if you're about to start a long journey and you have your car at 100%, then you have to unplug to get it to heat, bye-bye to a significant little chunk of range. Now, apparently, the car will take the power from the mains to do the heating, even if charging has already finished with the car at 100%.
7. THE USB AUDIO PLAYER NOW WORKS! This was a big gripe of mine, that I had to spend literally days renaming files as a work-around for the player not supporting folders. Now it does.
8. The auto-lights no longer come on when the sun goes behind a small cloud, but at dusk, when you expect them to.
9. The radio no longer comes on when you sit down in the car regardless of whether you had turned it off before you got out. I'm not sure if it remembers its previous setting or simply waits politely to be turned on every time, but either way it's an improvement.
10. The external temperature display. That was present on R13, which is what my car came with and still has, and I rely on it for a lot of things. It vanished with R16 and was still absent on R21, and we got a lot of rot from at least one MG dealer along the lines of it was never meant to be present on the SE, the base model owners shouldn't expect such luxuries, and as soon as MG realised it had been enabled by accident they put out R16 to remove it. I wish MG-adjacent people would simply fess up to a goof-up rather than infuriating owners by trying to pretend it was intentional. See the excuses for the undertray warp. But it was a goof-up and they fixed it. I think a lot of new owners were complaining about the read-out not being there.

'the speed limit recognition still needs the old procedure to turn it off' Really? It seems to be opt-in with my Trophy? (s./ware R40)

Some cars still have foibles where some settings are remembered / are the "wrong" way round. It's not a generic thing with any specific release.

'the speed limit recognition still needs the old procedure to turn it off' Really? It seems to be opt-in with my Trophy? (s./ware R40)

I'm still on R13 but I thought that was what @siteguru said. Maybe the Trophy is different.

If the car simply displayed the correct speed limit, and didn't lie to me because it read some irrelevant sign, and didn't start a song-and-dance act every time I go 1 mph over the limit, I'd leave it on. But as it is, it goes off. The Android Auto speed limit display is polite and civilised.

I have had the car since March 2023 and enjoyed it up
to mid October. It would then only charge from Fast Charge (50kw) poimts.
These are few and far between in this area and expensive.
It took over 6 weeks to get Dealership (Arnold Clark) to take it in for repair. Its been there ever since.
No courtesy has been available inspite of numerous requests.
So I seem to be in perpetual limbo. I have no idea what is going on, MG customer service ia awful/non existant.

I shall never go near MG or this dealership again

nejsem spokojený. Vozidlo prodám. For the price of 42000 EUR it is possible to choose a better vehicle...

Last edited:
Yet I got mine from Arnold Clark MG East Kilbride and have had a (relatively) good experience. 🤷‍♂️

But this tangent is probably for another thread.

There are pre-prepared threads in the forum dedicated to customers' opinions of their dealers, but not many people seem to post in them. You're right, it's not something we should pursue here.

All excuses and no help from MG and their dealership.
Arnold Clark MG (AC MG)
Linwood Renfrewshire
Was advised by AC MG to phone and email MG to try to pushthings along,!
Waste of time
Get on to these people.
Taking some positive action against the business might make you feel better.

Nothing worse than feeling like you have nowhere to turn.

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back