A few questions

Smendon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all.

I got my Zs Ev about a week ago and I’m loving it, but I do have a few questions and while searching the forum I’ve not been able to find answers to them. Would love it if someone can answer them for me please:

1) How do I set the sat nav so that the arrow is pointing forward, not moving about the map when following directions? I’ve searched the settings but not been able to figure it out.

2) I’ve been driving around in Eco mode for most of the time and it’s been fine, so other than restrict the power a bit when initially moving off from a stand still, what else does it do compared to Normal mode?

Also, I’ve seen about the forum that people tend to drive behind lorries on the motorway - just a word of warning, I did that the second day of having the car and managed to chip my windscreen 🙁

In answer to your question 1, I can’t help as I used google maps via Apple car play.
Regarding Q2 is reduces the way power is put down as indicated, it also makes the steering slightly lighter and the power supply to the heating is reduced when active meaning that the heat output in less than in normal and sport modes.

Q1, start the navsat, go into settings and you should find a setting for changing it.

If you can't find it there, I can grab some pictures later if needed, and noone else beats me to it

1. on the Nav press on the hamburger, bottom right corner of the screen (settings), then cycle through and select 3D at the bottom centre of the screen (2D might work as well)
2. ECO mode also reduces the heater output (not really what you want this weather). 🥶

So, is it better to run the car in normal mode in winter to warm up the car, then switch to eco when it’s warm enough to get more range out of it, or do I just take the hit on the range and stick to normal mode?

Thanks for the satnav info, I’ll have a look at it today

Definitely or start off in normal to get the car warm and then toggle back to ECO once the car is warmed up. Don’t forget to use the seat heaters as these do not receive power from the HV unit and therefore don’t have an impact on range.

Definitely or start off in normal to get the car warm and then toggle back to ECO once the car is warmed up. Don’t forget to use the seat heaters as these do not receive power from the HV unit and therefore don’t have an impact on range.
I’ve been using the heated seats when I’m in the car alone, but tend to have the whole family in the car so need to keep the cabin warm for the kids.

To be fair, even in eco mode I’ve found the heater is fine once the car is warm, I’ve just been putting the car in eco mode and then trying to pre heat the car. Will do it on normal going forward.

Last edited:
I also have to when my family are in the car too...but on my own I’m happy with the heated seats unless it’s really cold like it is now,

Mark...do you know where the 12v battery is charged from when the vehicle is in use? If it is the HV battery that maintains the 12v battery then the heated seats will draw power from the 12v which will then be replenished from HV? If so, then surely the heated seats will have an effect on range albeit in a roundabout way?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree (more than likely!).

Mark...do you know where the 12v battery is charged from when the vehicle is in use? If it is the HV battery that maintains the 12v battery then the heated seats will draw power from the 12v which will then be replenished from HV? If so, then surely the heated seats will have an effect on range albeit in a roundabout way?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree (more than likely!).
You are correct, In an electric car, a high-power dc-to-dc converter keeps the battery fully charged, fed by power from its traction battery pack and so there would be some lost range and so there will be some lost power, but minimal in comparison to the main heating / cooling system.
Same as your lights and wipers etc

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom