A little range test Humber to Sheff

ChrisT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Driving to Sheffield today, weather fine no rain and in daylight.

All gadgets off, plugged in phone, didn't need aircon.

So as can be seen below got 58.8 miles on three bars, the 3rd bar dropped as I was looking for a car park space.

Driving at 50 to 60mph on motorways, mainly flat but some hills upto Sheff. Did sit at a safe distance behind a couple of nice lorries but not the whole way. One was a nice double decker so broke the air well.

So if the last bars, but not the very last one, give 15 miles each then am getting 145 to 150 miles. However if I drive in the same way as coming down I might get 170.

We shall see.

20210428_114432.jpg

Driving to Sheffield today, weather fine no rain and in daylight.

All gadgets off, plugged in phone, didn't need aircon.

So as can be seen below got 58.8 miles on three bars, the 3rd bar dropped as I was looking for a car park space.

Driving at 50 to 60mph on motorways, mainly flat but some hills upto Sheff. Did sit at a safe distance behind a couple of nice lorries but not the whole way. One was a nice double decker so broke the air well.

So if the last bars, but not the very last one, give 15 miles each then am getting 145 to 150 miles. However if I drive in the same way as coming down I might get 170.

We shall see.

View attachment 3056
Remember that the bars are not all equal in percentage, if I recall correctly the last bar is about 25% on its own....see below

As we now know the battery gauge has 8 non-linear indicators with approximate ranges left.

1 bar 25%
2 bars 36%
3 bars 47%
4 bars 58%
5 bars 69%
6 bars 80%
7 bars 91%
8 bars 100%

Note final bar is 25%, then 11% for each additional bar. The final bar starts to flash at about 13% and disappears completely at around 5%.

Thanks Mark, I know the unusual percentage allocation to each bar and have tested this.

My Daughter lives near the Humber Bridge, so that is part of a journey I plan to do when I can.
I am in the west midlands so would need to have a top up on the way.

Our last trip was to meet them approximately half way.
ABRP suggested I needed a charge on the way back.
I added 10kWh at a rapid charger on the way there and the one bar and charge now message came on half a mile from home.
At this point it said I had 38 miles left.

Main anxiety will be will the chargers en-route be working or not...

Not sure if this will help @notdodgy , there is a rapid at Lidl in Barton upon Humber, a Jet garage in Scunthorpe, Ikea Sheffield. Watch out for services at Doncaster as last I looked only has Chademo but check Zap Map it may have changed.

Not sure if this will help @notdodgy , there is a rapid at Lidl in Barton upon Humber, a Jet garage in Scunthorpe, Ikea Sheffield. Watch out for services at Doncaster as last I looked only has Chademo but check Zap Map it may have changed.
My Daughter, her wife and our Grandsons live in Barrow, so the Lidl Rapid will be useful.

Finished round trip of 112 miles with 34% left in battery so using my O level maths that's 112 miles / 66% * 100 which is 1.69 miles per 1% and a range of 169miles.

Major impact on range from what I can see are all the gadgets and gizmo software apps.

Finished round trip of 112 miles with 34% left in battery so using my O level maths that's 112 miles / 66% * 100 which is 1.69 miles per 1% and a range of 169miles.

Major impact on range from what I can see are all the gadgets and gizmo software apps.
Something I noticed the other day is that even the heated seats and lights still draw a little power from the HV battery on the electrical information screen you can see it register about 1 amp of pull.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom